The Student Room Group

How do I get a provisional license for my moped if I'm 16 and 4 months?

I'm 16 and 4months and I am going to try and buy a moped before I begin college but I don't know where to start😫I have so many questions and it would be awesome if someone could answer them. So for 1, I know I have to have a provisional license before taking the moped theory and practical test, but as I'm 16 and 4 months I can't apply for a normal provisional License right now so is there a different provisional I need to apply for? Also how and where do I go about apply for one? Thanks 🙏
Reply 1
Original post by Foady
I'm 16 and 4months and I am going to try and buy a moped before I begin college but I don't know where to start😫I have so many questions and it would be awesome if someone could answer them. So for 1, I know I have to have a provisional license before taking the moped theory and practical test, but as I'm 16 and 4 months I can't apply for a normal provisional License right now so is there a different provisional I need to apply for? Also how and where do I go about apply for one? Thanks 🙏

You can apply for your first provisional licence anytime after 15 years and 9 months of being alive.

Fill out the D1 application form - doing this online is significantly cheaper than getting a form from the post office.

https://www.gov.uk/apply-first-provisional-driving-licence
You can get a moped license at 16 I believe?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Foady
I know I have to have a provisional license before taking the moped theory and practical test

Nope, you don't need to do actual theory and practical tests right now. You just pay £100-£120 for a CBT course, do that in a day, and then you can ride up to a 50cc limited to 30mph at 16 with L plates. Once you're 17, it increases to a 125cc unrestricted. It's not a separate license or anything, just get your provisional now and get a CBT booked in before you want to start, I'd book it soon though since it's usually a couple of weeks on the waiting list. You'll need the provisional before the CBT though as you'll have to show it on the day.
Reply 4
if a person has their provisional license, insurance, tax and mot are they able to ride to the lcagionof their cbt?
Reply 5
Original post by Geeeee
if a person has their provisional license, insurance, tax and mot are they able to ride to the lcagionof their cbt?

No, your provisional licence is not valid without a CBT certificate, so you cannot legally be on the road.
Reply 6
Original post by Foady

There is only one provisional license, when it arrives it will show moped and car but the car bit doesn’t activate until your 17th birthday, the only place to apply for one is the government/DVSA website. As said above once you get your provisional there isn’t a actual test like with cars but just a CBT which is one day and covers theory one practical, but it’s more just a competency test just to prove you can understand road signs and you are not dangerous on the roads.
I have a moped at the moment, got it when i was 16..

Happy to answer any questions.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending