The Student Room Group

Do you think someone's music taste represents there personality?

I have always wondered this, I think it can differentiate depending on the person.

Scroll to see replies

You're wrong because if someone is into gangster rap does this mean their mood is constantly the same? No it is their personality, their taste and lucifer was a good singer so be careful what you listen to. Although i'm not against 'boonk gang whole lotta gang sh*t know what im sayin'
Reply 2
Yes really.

One such study from the University of Cambridge showed a method of determining how people think and act based on the music they like to listen to. The study targeted over 4,000 listeners, and used a Facebook personality test app to give the participants a set of questions to determine specific personality traits. After a set period of time, the participants yet again received another questionnaire, this time with 15-second song snippets from 50 songs that represented up to 26 different genres of music, to see how they’d react and what kind of music they’d prefer. The results of both tests were then matched to see if there are patterns and correlations to personalities and music preferences.

As it turned out, there were correlations. Mellow music listeners, like R&B and slow jazz, exhibit more empathy, while rock, hip-hop, and house music listeners are more systematic and structural in thought. In addition, people on the more empathic side preferred music with less energy and focus more on negative and heavy emotions like depression, while the systematic side reveled in positive energy and emotions, like happiness and strength.

Basically, people who prefer slower, more smooth music, are more emotional, while people who prefer faster, more energetic music are more logical and structural, according to the study.
Yes
Can do but it doesn't for me. I listen to a lot of rock/punk but I don't dress like the stereotypes that follow that (dyed hair, piercings, clothing style or whatever) and I don't act whatever you might associate with that. Just a normal guy who listens to that music.

Sometimes you can look at someone who is heavy on the stereotypes and have a decent idea of what music they listen to but tons of times I've been very surprised at what people listen to.
Reply 5
No.
I personally don't think it can. I listen to kendrick lamar, Shawn mendes and the weeknd mainly and I'm normally really kind (kind heart), humble when nothing is bothering me and don't mind having fun with my mates. Shawn mendes comes in as I am boyfriend material, if I don't mind saying myself lmao. The weeknd as I struggle to get things off my mind and can have massive mood swings, and he seems to go through the same thing from his music. But this isn't true for some people. For example @PhilDanthropist listens to music that would make people assume she is dark and strange, but from what I know she is lovely, kind, caring and sociable (easy to talk to).
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Xenodium
Yes really.

One such study from the University of Cambridge showed a method of determining how people think and act based on the music they like to listen to. The study targeted over 4,000 listeners, and used a Facebook personality test app to give the participants a set of questions to determine specific personality traits. After a set period of time, the participants yet again received another questionnaire, this time with 15-second song snippets from 50 songs that represented up to 26 different genres of music, to see how they’d react and what kind of music they’d prefer. The results of both tests were then matched to see if there are patterns and correlations to personalities and music preferences.

As it turned out, there were correlations. Mellow music listeners, like R&B and slow jazz, exhibit more empathy, while rock, hip-hop, and house music listeners are more systematic and structural in thought. In addition, people on the more empathic side preferred music with less energy and focus more on negative and heavy emotions like depression, while the systematic side reveled in positive energy and emotions, like happiness and strength.

Basically, people who prefer slower, more smooth music, are more emotional, while people who prefer faster, more energetic music are more logical and structural, according to the study.

conclusion is quite accurate from what I can observe gg cambridge
Original post by Anonymous
I have always wondered this, I think it can differentiate depending on the person.

Well, I'm currently banging out Cardi Bs bodak yellow. Does that say much about me?
No?
Reply 10
No, although there is a correlation that those who are intelligent tends to listen to classical, jazz. A lot of people I deem intelligent academically. Pretty much most intelligent people I met who study STEM tend to listen to a lot of mainstream rap and trap music.
Reply 11
As a whole I guess you could learn a lot about a person from their music taste, given that they've found the right type of music they connect with. I wouldn't say you could define someone by it but you could understand a lot about them and make some judgements. Then again, theres always 2 sides and what dictates how you interpret the meaning of a song? If I were to listen to a lot of depressing music does that mean I'm depressed or looking for inspiration? Or if i listen to classical perhaps you'd think I'm a sophisticated person rather than just someone who just indulges in classical to relax. So you wouldn't get far, but you could make plenty of observations.
Reply 12
It represents their style and only to a certain degree personality, although some people are just confused (e.g. White middle class people who aren't drug addicts or criminals but like rap)
Reply 13
Original post by kkboyk
Pretty much most intelligent people I met who study STEM tend to listen to a lot of mainstream rap and trap music.

Noticed this too. It's not surprising that they lack taste and culture in arts. Too much attention on quantity distracts you from quality.
Original post by Xenodium
Yes really.

I'd be very interested to see what the study found out about people who like prog.
Original post by AndrewSCO
Can do but it doesn't for me. I listen to a lot of rock/punk but I don't dress like the stereotypes that follow that (dyed hair, piercings, clothing style or whatever) and I don't act whatever you might associate with that. Just a normal guy who listens to that music.

Sometimes you can look at someone who is heavy on the stereotypes and have a decent idea of what music they listen to but tons of times I've been very surprised at what people listen to.
Not sure if this really counts, as Punk is as much a lifestyle as a music genre, like being Jewish is as much a race as a religion. The Punk ideal is self-sufficiency and not needing authority (true anarchy isn't "every man for himself;" it's everybody getting along properly without being ****s to one another, thus removing the need for leaders). In this sense I would consider myself a Punk - in a way, at least. However, I don't dress even vaguely like one, and really have to be in the mood to b able to listen to that style of music.
It definitely does in my case.

Spoiler

Someone once told me that the most intelligent people in the world listen to metal/ screamo/ heavy rock music. Either that's not true or I'm one of few exceptions to this principle.
Yes, I always seem to get on better and form stronger bonds with people who are into alternative music.

It's easier to form close bonds with people who have the same taste in aesthetics as you, whether that be in music, or literature or art.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by LostYouth
Someone once told me that the most intelligent people in the world listen to metal/ screamo/ heavy rock music. Either that's not true or I'm one of few exceptions to this principle.

Well, there was this thing.
http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/newsandevents/pressreleases/gifted_students_beat/

Quick Reply

Latest