The Student Room Group

What course shuld I do?? Please help me

I did internal AS exams in Biology and Chemistry and I got 2A*s. I also did an external Maths AS exam, which I've been predicted an A for.
I originally planned to do Medicine, but I'm not so sure now.

I'm not sure what other University Courses to do?
Is there any way I can do an Engineering course without a Physics AS grade?
Original post by Groudon
I did internal AS exams in Biology and Chemistry and I got 2A*s. I also did an external Maths AS exam, which I've been predicted an A for.
I originally planned to do Medicine, but I'm not so sure now.

I'm not sure what other University Courses to do?
Is there any way I can do an Engineering course without a Physics AS grade?

Yes it is possible.
They dont all require Physics.
Maths is the key subject.
They normally require at least one other science, but you have to check individual requirements.

Exeter
Typical offer AAA-ABB; IB: 36-32; BTEC: DDD - DDM Students applying for this programme will be invited to attend an academic interview. Places are not normally offered to applicants who do not take part in an interview.

Required subjects

GCE AL Maths grade B and another science subject at grade B; IB Maths HL5 and another science subject HL5 Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths. Applicants achieving IB Maths SL7 plus IB HL5 in Physics will also be considered.

GCE AL/AS science includes: Biology/Human Biology*; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Economics; Electronics; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths*; Physical Education; Physics; Science (applied); Statistics.

Birmingham
Number of A levels required: 3
Typical offer: AAA
Required subjects and grades: A level Mathematics (Further Mathematics and Physics are not required but are advantageous).

You must also pass the practical element of any reformed science A levels which include Biology, Chemistry and Physics taught from 2015.

But Manchester do require it, unless you are doing M1 and M2.

A-level: Overall grades AAA in Mathematics and Physics and one other subject.

We accept all subjects as the third A level, apart from General Studies.

We also accept two AS levels in place of a third A level. We can consider applications from students who are taking Mathematics A level but not Physics, provided they are studying the mechanical modules M1 and M2 in their Mathematics A level. GCSE:

Five A-C Grades, including English Language, Maths and Physics or Dual Science (We require Grade 4 or above for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England)
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it a lot!! You're a lifesaver, thanks again!!

Original post by 999tigger
Yes it is possible.
They dont all require Physics.
Maths is the key subject.
They normally require at least one other science, but you have to check individual requirements.

Exeter
Typical offer AAA-ABB; IB: 36-32; BTEC: DDD - DDM Students applying for this programme will be invited to attend an academic interview. Places are not normally offered to applicants who do not take part in an interview.

Required subjects

GCE AL Maths grade B and another science subject at grade B; IB Maths HL5 and another science subject HL5 Candidates may offer GCE AL Maths, Pure Maths or Further Maths. Applicants achieving IB Maths SL7 plus IB HL5 in Physics will also be considered.

GCE AL/AS science includes: Biology/Human Biology*; Chemistry; Computing; Design and Technology; Economics; Electronics; Environmental Studies; Geography; Geology; Maths/Pure Maths/Further Maths*; Physical Education; Physics; Science (applied); Statistics.

Birmingham
Number of A levels required: 3
Typical offer: AAA
Required subjects and grades: A level Mathematics (Further Mathematics and Physics are not required but are advantageous).

You must also pass the practical element of any reformed science A levels which include Biology, Chemistry and Physics taught from 2015.

But Manchester do require it, unless you are doing M1 and M2.

A-level: Overall grades AAA in Mathematics and Physics and one other subject.

We accept all subjects as the third A level, apart from General Studies.

We also accept two AS levels in place of a third A level. We can consider applications from students who are taking Mathematics A level but not Physics, provided they are studying the mechanical modules M1 and M2 in their Mathematics A level. GCSE:

Five A-C Grades, including English Language, Maths and Physics or Dual Science (We require Grade 4 or above for applicants holding newly reformed GCSEs in England)
Original post by Groudon
Thank you so much for your help!! I really appreciate it a lot!! You're a lifesaver, thanks again!!

Do you understand why i cant give you a definitive answer? All the information is there. There are other options where you dont have the exact a levels like a gap year or a foundation, but you should have enough scope to avoid those.

Do a degree you want to and can see a career in. Dont do medicine if you have doubts.
Reply 4
Yes I understand. Thank you, I will definitely take your advice.

Original post by 999tigger
Do you understand why i cant give you a definitive answer? All the information is there. There are other options where you dont have the exact a levels like a gap year or a foundation, but you should have enough scope to avoid those.

Do a degree you want to and can see a career in. Dont do medicine if you have doubts.

Quick Reply

Latest