The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Can I go to uni with a (D) in GCSE english language?

I want to stude bsc math at northumrbia, i got a conditonal offer. But for some odd reason on my ucas track it only said i have to get 120 UCAS points, so this got me wondering is the uni somehow giving me the blind eye for my GCSE english language.
if the answer is no, what should i do because i really desperatly want to go to uni thiseptember on cant stand another year in sixthform/college.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnak
I want to stude bsc math at northumrbia, i got a conditonal offer. But for some odd reason on my ucas track it only said i have to get 120 UCAS points, so this got me wondering is the uni somehow giving me the blind eye for my GCSE english language.
if the answer is no, what should i do because i really desperatly want to go to uni thiseptember on cant stand another year in sixthform/college.

Screenshot 2017-08-04 at 5.51.20 PM.png

I don't know about UCAS points tbh even though I finished college in July I've genuinely rarely heard of them, but clearly they do have a GCSE policy anyway.

EDIT: It's going to be mad hard to get into any uni without a C in English and Maths, if you can great, but, it's unlikely.
have you resat it? if not; just do it man.
(edited 6 years ago)
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Reply 2
Original post by hamzakalinle
Screenshot 2017-08-04 at 5.51.20 PM.png

I don't know about UCAS points tbh even though I finished college in July I've genuinely rarely heard of them, but clearly they do have a GCSE policy anyway.

EDIT: It's going to be mad hard to get into any uni without a C in English and Maths, if you can great, but, it's unlikely.
have you resat it? if not; just do it man.

is there anything i can do, like i really want to go to uni this sep.
i seen this on their website and i was just confused they did not mention any of this on my ucas track and it did not mention any the gcse stuff.

is there like a english course which i can do alongside my degree which the uni offers to improve peoples english, i heard of people doing this somewhere.

any suggestions
Original post by mnak
is there anything i can do, like i really want to go to uni this sep.
i seen this on their website and i was just confused they did not mention any of this on my ucas track and it did not mention any the gcse stuff.

is there like a english course which i can do alongside my degree which the uni offers to improve peoples english, i heard of people doing this somewhere.

any suggestions

I mean, I've never heard of that no, but, it might be a thing idk.

I get that you want to start uni this September, but, if you don't meet a uni's entry requirements for GCSE's then you're probably going to get rejected right off of the bat, unless they say otherwise or unless they're lenient, which isn't that likely when it comes to GCSE's.

Plus, after graduation many employers still want a pass in GCSE maths and english, so even if you miraculously get to uni this September, don't think the problem of not passing GCSE english will disappear forever - it probably won't.

My only suggestion is re-take GCSE english during a gap year, yes it's not what you want but I don't see what other options you have, and ultimately it'll save you from re-sitting 3 or 4 years from now anyway.

you probs won't be interested in my advice but it's all I've got to say - good luck to you regardless.
Original post by mnak
my ucas track it only said i have to get 120 UCAS points,.

I read the 120 UCAS points like "Wut..." then remembered the UCAS points to grade allocation had changed with the new A-Levels :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by hamzakalinle
I mean, I've never heard of that no, but, it might be a thing idk.

I get that you want to start uni this September, but, if you don't meet a uni's entry requirements for GCSE's then you're probably going to get rejected right off of the bat, unless they say otherwise or unless they're lenient, which isn't that likely when it comes to GCSE's.

Plus, after graduation many employers still want a pass in GCSE maths and english, so even if you miraculously get to uni this September, don't think the problem of not passing GCSE english will disappear forever - it probably won't.

My only suggestion is re-take GCSE english during a gap year, yes it's not what you want but I don't see what other options you have, and ultimately it'll save you from re-sitting 3 or 4 years from now anyway.

you probs won't be interested in my advice but it's all I've got to say - good luck to you regardless.

So im ****ed. bte i was going to resit english if some miracle i get into without it.
Now im goign to sit in the corner until reuslts day.
Original post by mnak
So im ****ed. bte i was going to resit english if some miracle i get into without it.
Now im goign to sit in the corner until reuslts day.

You can ask the uni for their opinion on this, but it's usual to need at least a C grade in maths and English GCSE for school leavers. Won't you need to retake it anyway?
Reply 7
Sorry man, the D in GCSE English is never good, you can get a D in GCSE Computing and I doubt Universities will care but GCSE English? They just won't accept you
Reply 8
Original post by Reality Check
You can ask the uni for their opinion on this, but it's usual to need at least a C grade in maths and English GCSE for school leavers. Won't you need to retake it anyway?

yes i will one day retake it but i really really really want to go to uni this sep
Original post by mnak
yes i will one day retake it but i really really really want to go to uni this sep

Hang on...

Are you currently holding an offer with them? Surely they must know your GCSE grades already? If they've made you a conditional offer on A levels in the knowledge of this D grade at GCSE why are you now asking if they'll accept you?

I presume you declared the D at GCSE English when you made your UCAS application?
(edited 6 years ago)
Yh you can go to uni with a D :colone:
But only if you have a big one
Reply 11
Original post by pussy monster

haha, i just got the joke. that cheered me up a bit
Didn't someone on here recently get a good degree from somewhere without having GCSE Grade C in English and Maths? We all asked how it was possible and he said it was because at Uni he did a Foundation year first. Still no idea why they wouldn't check your GCSE grades, but that's what this person said. Does anyone else remember it? It wasn't that long ago.

I might have a chance then :h: don't bully me :colonhash:
Original post by Xopher_
I might have a chance then :h: don't bully me :colonhash:

3 inches isn't enough bro
3 inches isn't enough bro

I'm not your bro, pal
Reply 16
My thread has turned into a joke
Reply 17
Original post by mnak
My thread has turned into a joke

Are you not doing A-Levels? If you don't get the grades you'll have to do a foundation year.
Reply 18
Original post by egdum
Are you not doing A-Levels? If you don't get the grades you'll have to do a foundation year.

yeah im doing A level alongside my resit gcse english.
i dont think foundation years cover people who didint achieve a C in gcse math and or english
Reply 19
Original post by mnak
yeah im doing A level alongside my resit GCSE English.
I don't think foundation years cover people who didn't achieve a C in GCSE math and or english

Yeh, they do, I got a C in Maths and a D in English, still for an unconditional place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending