The Student Room Group

I've decided to become atheist AMA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
You can't observe it because it occurs over millions of years, but microevolution has been observed, and macroevolution is just the accumulation of micro changes.

Furthermore, not being able to observe something/a process with your own eyes is not necessarily evidence it didn't happen, otherwise you're admitting Muhammad didn't exist because no one alive has observed him. Evidence is all that's needed and there's plenty of it for evolution.

You have not observed macro evolution but you are still 100% certain it takes place and leads to the formation of new species? Correct?
Original post by Assadullah1215
You have not observed macro evolution but you are still 100% certain it takes place and leads to the formation of new species? Correct?

We have direct evidence of macroevolution. We know species evolved, evolution is one of the most substantiated theories of all times.
Reply 82
visit aboutatheism.net and tell me what you think.
But we only rely on standards due to a the idea of religion - a conflicting approach to science. Whilst many claim that religion and science go hand in hand, they do not. Where science is reliable on evidence and fact (something that our senses can detect based on a majority - religious 'experiences' are only claimed by a minority who cannot prove what they have experienced) religion is based on faith.

You are entirely within your right to believe that science is also based on faith, however, there is physical evidence and logical explanation for many theories - religion cannot say the same. Science is willing to accept fault and then make amends, religion is not. This is my point.
Original post by Pride
I believe my senses are largely reliable. I do think we are living. But the question is how do we know? What is our ultimate authority for knowledge?

Just because it is faith, doesn't mean we can't be confident in our belief. I was just saying that we are all fundamentally reliant on an epistemological standard. We aren't independent standards of truth, we rely on standards. This is my point.
Reply 84
Original post by Robby2312
That's not my entire reasoning for being an atheist I just disagree with your assertion that no God means life is meaningless.I might not have solid reasons to disprove his existence but I don't have to.The burden of proof is on you to prove there is a God or do you expect me to disprove every single thing before we conclude it does not exist.I cannot disprove that fairies exist but that's no reason to believe they do.

By definition, to have meaning, something has to be created by an individual. In your view there is no God, so by definition, life us meaningless. This isn't an opinion, this is just facts.
Original post by TheDuo
By definition, to have meaning, something has to be created by an individual. In your view there is no God, so by definition, life us meaningless. This isn't an opinion, this is just facts.

Meaning is inherently subjective.Its not a thing like rocks or water.Meaning is entirely based on opinion and it varies from person to person.Just because there is no objective meaning to the universe does not mean that you cannot create your own meaning in life.Some of us don't need a diety to assign us a purpose.We can give our own meaning and purpose to life.
Original post by TheDuo

You say meaning is created by an individual, so then a person can create meaning in their own life.
How did the big bang just start by itself when 0+0 =/= 1
Reply 88
Original post by eam0ss
I was baptised CofE although was brought up in a fairly agnostic home where we sporadically went to church. I did go through phases of wanting actively to be Christian- partly due to the influence of my Christian school- but I've decided now that I do not believe in God. AMA.

Okay...

1. What are your views/thoughts/opinions of the Vatican City enonomy/finances?

2. Do you like roasted parsnips?
Original post by Lisa.Williams
Yes, absolutely. As a student who has only just finished her GCSE's, we simply learn the basics of the Big Bang. Physics was actually my favourite subject. I understand that there is evidence such as cosmic microwave background radiation and red shift, however, i simply cannot bring myself to believe that the universe started at one centralised point and then an explosion occured. I'm sure that there is much more to it than that but the basic principle still applies. Whilst i believe that many of the theories associated with this are definitely along the right lines (as we can see with the evidence), there are flaws with this hypothesis such as the idea that the universe should begin to contract yet it is still expanding.

Thank you for you for your reply. I'm sure that you will know more about this than me and i would love you to share the more detailed aspects of the Big Bang with me. Please feel free to private message me - i love talking about science (especially physics!). :smile:

I understand why you think there is a flaw with the Big Bang Theory, however, I must say, there is not. While certainly, by normal means, the Universe should be contracting. However, scientists are also aware of the forces of Dark Matter and Dark Energy. We have proof of such existing, and also impacting the evolution of the Universe.
It doesn't sound like you were a Christian in the first place to be honest. You've just gone from not knowing you were an atheist, for most of your life thus far, to now embracing it.
Original post by eam0ss
I was baptised CofE although was brought up in a fairly agnostic home where we sporadically went to church. I did go through phases of wanting actively to be Christian- partly due to the influence of my Christian school- but I've decided now that I do not believe in God. AMA.

Congradulations! You took the red pill. The delusion has stopped and now you're living in the real world. I'd argue however, that all humans are "atheists" until they are indoctrinated. You're just coming back to your natural self!
Original post by LostYouth
It doesn't sound like you were a Christian in the first place to be honest. You've just gone from not knowing you were an atheist, for most of your life thus far, to now embracing it.

I was a Muslim. As far as I am aware, that is a religion. I, at my young age, was very adaptable and welcoming to Science, considering it is a major interest of mine.
Original post by LostYouth

This seems like a typical argument, "oh, well you were never religious in the first place".
Original post by _gcx
This seems like a typical argument, "oh, well you were never religious in the first place".

From OP's description, it doesn't seem like they were that religious to begin with.
Original post by Onde
Who said the universe has a cause? 1=1

Everything has a cause except God. There is nothing that comes out of nothing except God.
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
Everything has a cause except God. There is nothing that comes out of nothing except God.

And you know that how?
And you know that how?

Imagine if an animal was inside a building and the smoke alarm went off due to a fire, but this fire was not visible to the animal. The animal would stay there because it is thinking that it can't see anything, therefore, theres nothing there.

However, when a human is in that building they would just have to hear it before they would get out the building.

All you need is faith know that although you can't hear him( royal him) he can hear you and is all knowing of what you do, and we will all be brought back to him.
Original post by YourGoddamnRight
Imagine if an animal was inside a building and the smoke alarm went off due to a fire, but this fire was not visible to the animal. The animal would stay there because it is thinking that it can't see anything, therefore, theres nothing there.

However, when a human is in that building they would just have to hear it before they would get out the building.

All you need is faith know that although you can't hear him( royal him) he can hear you and is all knowing of what you do, and we will all be brought back to him.

Well, please check out, on YouTube, DarkMatter2525 - as his work has impacted my view on faith and religion.
Original post by _gcx

Not really. I'm just relying on well-known Biblical authority. For example, Romans 5:12 - 6:23 (ESV).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending