The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hello!
I have a question regarding BMAT. Is there a specific value Cambridge is looking for (I'm assuming 5/6+)? I've seen a variety of scores for those receiving an offer (from 4.something to 8), so I figured it'd be best to ask.
Also, would taking the BMAT in September give an applicant an advantage, should their score be competitive and known by the admission tutors before those taking the exam in November? Or will decisions regarding interviews be done after November scores are released?

Thank you very much in advance. :smile:

*This question is regarding an application for medicine.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I've just finished the first year of CompSci with Maths, and when I applied I found out that STEP offers for that varied quite a lot between colleges. Most of them want either 1,1 or 1,2 in II and III (although presumably many of the colleges that ask for 1,1 will sometimes let people in with 1,2 anyway since that is the case for Maths), but a couple wanted different things: one said they'd ask for 1,1 in I and II, another said they'd want a 1 in either II or III, and allegedly Trinity only wanted a 1 in STEP I (but that seems very odd). I'd email the admissions tutors of the colleges that don't put their requirements on their websites to ask what grades they will ask for and what their policy on letting people who fail STEP but meet the A-level part in anyway (probably for the non-maths option).

Thanks a lot for your input! I guess I have some e-mailing to do. I'm going to guess they set out the STEP offers depending on your ability at CSAT and interviews + modules taken. Mind if I PM you about other things?

Original post by Christ's Admissions
Thank you, it's really helpful that you've flagged this up. We evidently need some consistency across the University, and I will take the issue up with my colleagues at other colleges!

Are you pushing for a more static offer than the situational offers? Even though I'd like to have an 'easier' offer, but if that offer doesn't help the student to do well in paper 1 and paper 2 for the 1A maths tripos, then I don't see any other option.
Original post by Mac117
Hello!
I have a question regarding BMAT. Is there a specific value Cambridge is looking for (I'm assuming 5/6+)? I've seen a variety of scores for those receiving an offer (from 4.something to 8), so I figured it'd be best to ask.
Also, would taking the BMAT in September give an applicant an advantage, should their score be competitive and known by the admission tutors before those taking the exam in November? Or will decisions regarding interviews be done after November scores are released?

Thank you very much in advance. :smile:

*This question is regarding an application for medicine.

No, we don't have a "cut-off" for the BMAT in the way that some medical schools do, and we use the scores in conjunction with all the other academic evidence we have about a candidate, which is why you've probably seen quite a range, especially in the Section 1 scores (Cambridge Admissions Tutors tend to be slightly more interested in Section 2).

Final decisions regarding interviews are usually made after November scores are released, so you shouldn't be at a disadvantage if you sit it then. On the other hand, you might feel more comfortable, and do better, sitting it in September after having the summer to relax and practise, rather than midway through the term. It's really what works for you.
Original post by Student1914
Thanks a lot for your input! I guess I have some e-mailing to do. I'm going to guess they set out the STEP offers depending on your ability at CSAT and interviews + modules taken. Mind if I PM you about other things?

Are you pushing for a more static offer than the situational offers? Even though I'd like to have an 'easier' offer, but if that offer doesn't help the student to do well in paper 1 and paper 2 for the 1A maths tripos, then I don't see any other option.

Well, it might be good to have consistency at least in the STEP papers that we're asking for, so that we're all sure we're not setting candidates up to struggle in Paper 1 and 2 of the 1A Maths Tripos.
Original post by Student1914

You're welcome! I think that a couple of the colleges said they would give contextual offers based on the standard of each applicant, but I imagine that most of the variation was from colleges making different calls about how good CompSci w. Maths students need to be at maths, and what to do with the fact that while Maths offers are 1,1, many people are accepted with lower grades. Feel free to PM me with any other questions!
Am I correct to assume that I wouldn't be disadvantaged by not mentioning any extracurricular activities not related to the subject I want to study on my personal statement (in the case that Cambridge is the only university I want to apply to in the U.K.)?
Original post by JackNott
Am I correct to assume that I wouldn't be disadvantaged by not mentioning any extracurricular activities not related to the subject I want to study on my personal statement (in the case that Cambridge is the only university I want to apply to in the U.K.)?

You've answered it yourself :wink:

How can you be disadvantaged for not mentioning irrelevancies? (You won't be.)
Original post by Doonesbury
You've answered it yourself :wink:

How can you be disadvantaged for not mentioning irrelevancies? (You won't be.)

I think OP's concern stems from the fact that some universities value extra-curricular activities unrelated to their subjects. Oxbridge and top UK unis are actually quite unique in their stance for not appreciating that very much.

Original post by JackNott

No, you won't be.
The only thing they want to know is if you're very good at the subject you're applying to.
Cambridge (and other very top U.K. unis) doesn't care if an applicant has 'balanced and rounded personalities' because of their wide range of experiences in many extra-curricular activities or prestigious positions as a head boy/girl or team captain, etc. At all.
They like geeks. :tongue:
Original post by Wolfram Alpha
That's awesome, thank you for your help!

Apologies for hijacking the thread! I don't know your personal circumstances or importantly the degree you have chosen.

You may want to look at the following for more info:

www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/should-i-get-student-loan

In "some" cases, it's not the financially best option to pay fees upfront. It's quite complicated but always worth doing some research. This website has loads of good info re student finance. Take a peek.
Original post by vincrows
I think OP's concern stems from the fact that some universities value extra-curricular activities unrelated to their subjects. Oxbridge and top UK unis are actually quite unique in their stance for not appreciating that very much.

No, you won't be.
The only thing they want to know is if you're very good at the subject you're applying to.
Cambridge (and other very top U.K. unis) doesn't care if an applicant has 'balanced and rounded personalities' because of their wide range of experiences in many extra-curricular activities or prestigious positions as a head boy/girl or team captain, etc. At all.
They like geeks. :tongue:

Apologies, last hijack I promise!! For the OP it doesn't matter as they are only applying to Cambridge within the UK. For other students I would temper this slightly! The following is directly from the Durham uni websites re personal statements

Finally, you should write about what makes you an interesting and unique person; all those extra things you have done or experienced which will bring something extra to the community of the University you want to join. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done, you need to reflect on the skills and lessons you have learned and write about that. You may want to cover:

What do you enjoy doing outside of school

Your hobbies, leisure activities

Sports you participate in

Other sorts of extra-curricular activities

Significant responsibilities you hold, at home or in clubs or societies

Special achievements

What you have learned if you have had a job

Remember to mention these parts of your life, and if appropriate the skills that will help you with the course.

I can say from personal experience that Durham has really supported me with my extra curriculars this year (when I have had to take time off). They value them and are keen if you can show the ability to balance rigourous academic degrees with other interests and the subsequent "softer" skills developed. Yes the academics are the most important within the statement but don't completely ignore extra curriculars! This assumes Durham is considered a top uni, who knows!:tongue:.

Apologies for the hijack once again.

I have specific questions about Christ's accommodation and facilities. Firstly, is internet access unlimited data? Secondly, are there any music practice rooms? Actually a general question about cambridge as a whole, is there even a culture for performance of more contemporary music (like do people form bands ect)? If a particular society or activity doesn't operate at your college, how usual is it to go to over colleges or locations to engage in those activities?
Original post by black1blade
I have specific questions about Christ's accommodation and facilities. Firstly, is internet access unlimited data? Secondly, are there any music practice rooms? Actually a general question about cambridge as a whole, is there even a culture for performance of more contemporary music (like do people form bands ect)? If a particular society or activity doesn't operate at your college, how usual is it to go to over colleges or locations to engage in those activities?

In answer to your general questions: people do form small bands etc. My only experience is with jazz bands: there are about three small ones at my (large) college, and I would guess that is a bit above average. I don't know about other kinds of music. It is pretty common to join other colleges' music societies, especially if you play an in-demand instrument. My college's jazz big band of about 20 people has roughly five from other colleges/Anglia Ruskin. There are also central university societies that anyone can join, and non-university musical things going on.
Original post by 210555
Apologies, last hijack I promise!! For the OP it doesn't matter as they are only applying to Cambridge within the UK. For other students I would temper this slightly! The following is directly from the Durham uni websites re personal statements

Finally, you should write about what makes you an interesting and unique person; all those extra things you have done or experienced which will bring something extra to the community of the University you want to join. It doesn’t matter what you’ve done, you need to reflect on the skills and lessons you have learned and write about that. You may want to cover:

Special achievements

Remember to mention these parts of your life, and if appropriate the skills that will help you with the course.

I can say from personal experience that Durham has really supported me with my extra curriculars this year (when I have had to take time off). They value them and are keen if you can show the ability to balance rigourous academic degrees with other interests and the subsequent "softer" skills developed. Yes the academics are the most important within the statement but don't completely ignore extra curriculars! This assumes Durham is considered a top uni, who knows!:tongue:.

OP asked the question specifically about application to Cambridge, not how your extra-curricular activities are regarded AFTER you got into a university. Yes, even at Cambridge if you have some very important commitment in EC activities (like competing in sports, etc. on national/international level) that may require your academic schedule to be changed, most colleges/DoS/Department are usually understanding and accommodating.
But as for application, I (and many others) have heard admission tutors, both on their open days and here in TSR, stressing they are not interested in what, how much or how well you've doing in EC unrelated to your subject and having it or not having it will not affect your competitiveness in application. That's what OP wanted to know, I think.
Original post by vincrows
OP asked the question specifically about application to Cambridge, not how your extra-curricular activities are regarded AFTER you got into a university. Yes, even at Cambridge if you have some very important commitment in EC activities (like competing in sports, etc. on national/international level) that may require your academic schedule to be changed, most colleges/DoS/Department are usually understanding and accommodating.
But as for application, I (and many others) have heard admission tutors, both on their open days and here in TSR, stressing they are not interested in what, how much or how well you've doing in EC unrelated to your subject and having it or not having it will not affect your competitiveness in application. That's what OP wanted to know, I think.

Yes, both 210555 and I were answering in the context of the OP saying only Cambridge...

210555 then expanded the answer for Durham in case other applicants might find it useful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by black1blade

There're many informal, casual music groups/bands in & across colleges, both contemporary and classical. It's usually formed on friendly basis, often quite randomly, so some lasts for years, some just for a few sessions.
Those things are quite fluid, often much influenced by who happens to be where and when, but something is happening somewhere all the time. Once you get to know or involved in something, a network of like-minded musicians develops naturally, so it's not too difficult to find out their activities.

If you can't find an existing group you'd be interested, you just make one yourself.
AFAIK, most colleges have music practice rooms, but you'd have to ask each college (or their JCR) what sort of facility (and number of rooms) they have if you want to know details.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 210555

Special achievements

Probably fair advice but at the same time my PS was entirely devoted to my course (music) and I got an offer from them (among other RGs).
Original post by auburnstar
Probably fair advice but at the same time my PS was entirely devoted to my course (music) and I got an offer from them (among other RGs).

Exactly' me thinks there is no magic formula for the perfect PS. As I acknowledged in my post the OP is only interested in Cambridge and for them, no extra curriculars aren't important.

My post was just to reassure future students that. other RG unis may well be interested if you can show what you have learnt from them and not to ignore them completely. I wanted to reassure students that you don't have to be a "geek" with your head in a book 24/7 to be eligible to apply to Cambridge or any other university for that matter. So not true in my own experience.

Congrats on your offer by the, enjoy the experience😀
Reply 297
For someone applying for deferred entry because of military service, must any additional letter or documentation be submitted as proof of this?
Thank you to everyone who answered my question, that's what I wanted to know :smile:
Hello.

I'm not sure if this has been answered yet, so apologies if it has.

My question is: Is average science UMS still used during the selection process for students who have taken external AS exams? And if so, which 3 relevant subjects are used when calculating the science UMS average for Medicine? I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths, and I think i'm certain that I did pretty badly in Biology. I was wondering if that would be me at a disadvantage?

Thanks (:

Latest

Trending

Trending