The Student Room Group

Chemical Synthesis question

Hello,
I am very interested in studying Chemistry to make chemicals and synthesise them but there is no information on the topic. Can someone point me to a book please?
Cheers
Reply 1
E J Corey's The Logic of Chemical Synthesis
Original post by kristiqn91
Hello,
I am very interested in studying Chemistry to make chemicals and synthesise them but there is no information on the topic. Can someone point me to a book please?
Cheers

The basis of any chemical synthesis is the understanding and application of a large range of simple reactions. During a synthesis you must be aware of the limitations of the various reactions in order to choose a viable and ideally an efficient route to a product.

The book by Corey already recommended is good. I also quite like
"Organic synthesis: A disconnection approach" by Warren (specifically focusing on retrosynthesis)

Another place with lots of often highly complex examples
"Classics in total synthesis" by Nicolaou

It's worth point out that you can't really go about synthesis without first having a decent grip on a wide range of reactions. As such, synthesis is normally left until the later years of a chemistry degree, so that the earlier years can lay the ground work. I guess what I'm saying is that "sythesis" isn't a topic one can learn without having a much wider knowledge of the chemical transformations a chemist has at their disposal. :smile:

(Just as an example, one of my favourites and certainly an absolutely classic synthesis is Woorward's synthesis of Reserpine)
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest