The Student Room Group

Ask an Admissions Tutor applying age 21+

Scroll to see replies

Hello,

If I were to apply to a general college (one that doesn't only admit mature students), would I still be put in the pool for consideration for mature colleges, given my age?

Many thanks
Hi. I'm 24 and have a Foundation Year in Law and Practice from the University of Coventry. I have been pretty ill from 17 until 23, which is kinda disappointing.

I am applying for next year and I'm not sure what to do this year to improve my chances of getting in. I'm thinking about volunteering at Citizens Advice and enrolling on some Languages Courses from the Uni of Warwick (I have a B2 in French) and joining different societies (European Law Society, Debating Society and Law Society).

But I feel that my application is not "round" and it is too scholastic or focused on law.

Also, what do I tell Cambridge about my academic gap? :frown:

Any tips or advice?
Reply 22
Hi,

Do all standard colleges fully consider mature applicants or do they just look them to mature colleges in some circumstances?

If a mature candidate is pooled, do they get to be considered by all colleges like non-mature candidates or are they pooled to mature colleges?

Thank you

Original post by Lucy Cavendish Admissions
Hi everyone, I'm the new Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish. Lucy Cavendish focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm. If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.
Original post by Bloomin
Hi,

Do all standard colleges fully consider mature applicants or do they just look them to mature colleges in some circumstances?

If a mature candidate is pooled, do they get to be considered by all colleges like non-mature candidates or are they pooled to mature colleges?

Thank you

Hi there, age 21 (mature) applicants can apply to any College at Cambridge. If they are subsequently pooled their application is available to all Colleges (age 21 and standard age) to view in the Pool.

Hope that helps to explain.
Original post by jonathan98
Yep, so if I wish to take my interviews and tests in Singapore for Land Economy this year, would the submission of written work (one or two college essays) prior to the interview to the colleges Fitzwilliam, Homerton, Lucy Cavendish, Murray Edwards, Pembroke, St Edmund's, Trinity Hall, Wolfson apply to me as well? If so, how do I submit the written work, and when is the deadline for submission? (I'm asking because my seniors applied to the aforementioned colleges in 2013 and 2014 while taking their interviews/tests in Singapore and they did not have to submit any written work).

When you've made your College choice check with that College to ask if they require written work even if you are being interviewed as part of the University's overseas interview scheme. At Lucy Cavendish we do still require it.
Original post by PipesnHalfs
Hello,

If I were to apply to a general college (one that doesn't only admit mature students), would I still be put in the pool for consideration for mature colleges, given my age?

Many thanks

If an age 21+ applicant is pooled their application is available to all Colleges (age 21 and standard age) to view in the Pool.

There's some detailed information about the Pool here
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/decisions
Reply 26
Hi there, age 21 (mature) applicants can apply to any College at Cambridge. If they are subsequently pooled their application is available to all Colleges (age 21 and standard age) to view in the Pool.

Hope that helps to explain.

Thank you.

Are there stats for mature applications per college and the number of mature students currently at each college?
Reply 27
Original post by Bloomin
Thank you.

Are there stats for mature applications per college and the number of mature students currently at each college?

Screen Shot 2017-08-08 at 13.32.01.jpg

From http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/apply/statistics
Reply 28
Thank you! I was hoping for data that includes standard colleges too if possible

Reply 29
Original post by Bloomin
Thank you! I was hoping for data that includes standard colleges too if possible

Oh, mature applicants to standard age colleges? Nope, that data isn't available afaik.

There are mature undergrads at all colleges.

It doesn't matter anyway. Apply to a college you like, not because of admissions stats. And keep in mind, there's a 20% chance an offer (if you get one) will be for a different college anyway...
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30
Ah it's not to try to play the stats but to see how likely overall standard colleges are to take mature students; there don't seem to be that many!

Original post by Doonesbury
Oh, mature applicants to standard age colleges? Nope, that data isn't available afaik.

There are mature undergrads at all colleges.

It doesn't matter anyway. Apply to a college you like, not because of admissions stats. And keep in mind, there's a 20% chance an offer (if you get one) will be for a different college anyway...
Original post by Bloomin
Ah it's not to try to play the stats but to see how likely overall standard colleges are to take mature students; there don't seem to be that many!

You're right. All standard college do take mature students, in theory, but in reality not that many.
Hello,

I think my post may have been skipped accidentally. I would be very grateful if you could reply when you have time.

Thank you!
Hi everyone, I'm the new Admissions Tutor at Lucy Cavendish. Lucy Cavendish focuses on the education of students aged 21 and over.

I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applying to Cambridge as a mature student, affiliate, postgraduate, or simply a little bit later than the norm. If you are going to be 21 or over at the time you start University, you might want to bear in mind that applications to Cambridge stay open beyond October 15, in many subjects.

I am applying to Economics at Cambridge. May I know if the sole purpose of the personal statement is to simply shortlist me for the Economics interview, after which the decision for acceptance is based solely on my performance on the interview and admissions tests and the personal statement no longer plays a part in the decision-making process?
Reply 34
my offer conditions were A*A*A and i got AAAB. Chances of offer being made unconditional?
Hi,

I was wondering if you could please tell me the IB Diploma equivalent of AAA at A levels for GEM? The Cambridge admissions tutors stated that a competitive application would usually be a 2.1 first degree or higher plus AAA at A-level. I did IB Diploma, and I have no clue as to where I stand in terms of A Levels.

Many thanks!
Original post by sushigo23
Hello,

Thank you so much for starting this thread. I am interested in applying to Cambridge's undergraduate law program. I am Canadian, 22 and hold an undergraduate degree from a well-regarded American university. I attended high school in British Columbia and I see that the entry requirements for the undergraduate law program state that one must have 5 AP level courses or 3 IB courses in high school. I do not meet this requirement. If I apply to the affiliate student program, which would allow me to complete the degree in 2 years, will this requirement be waived, as I already hold an undergraduate degree? If I apply as a mature student to the 3 year program, will this requirement be waived? If it is waived, will I be at a disadvantage when being considered for admission?

Thank you for your time.

Hi Sushigo, thanks for the question. I would really need to see your academic profile before I could answer this question. Can you email [email protected] with a few more details about your A level equivalents and your final degree mark please? Many thanks
Hi there, if you look here:

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/entrance-requirements

you can find the equivalent marks. For the IB:

"Typical offers usually require scores between 40 and 42 points out of 45, with 776 in Higher Level subjects.
Applicants may be required to achieve 7 in a particular subject(s), depending on individual circumstances.
Please note that for these purposes, Standard Level subjects will satisfy AS Level subject requirements, and Higher Level subjects will satisfy A Level subject requirements."

If you are unsure, the best thing to do is contact the admissions department of your chosen College. For Lucy cav, please email [email protected].

Original post by miyukanata
Hi,

I was wondering if you could please tell me the IB Diploma equivalent of AAA at A levels for GEM? The Cambridge admissions tutors stated that a competitive application would usually be a 2.1 first degree or higher plus AAA at A-level. I did IB Diploma, and I have no clue as to where I stand in terms of A Levels.

Many thanks!
Hi Sulei06, that's really a question for the College who made you the offer.

Original post by Sulei06
my offer conditions were A*A*A and i got AAAB. Chances of offer being made unconditional?
Hi there, we have all your application in mind the whole way through the process. Your interview may well refer to personal statement and this is your opportunity to let us know what interests you academically. We base offers on the application as a whole.

Thanks for the question

Original post by isaacnow
I am applying to Economics at Cambridge. May I know if the sole purpose of the personal statement is to simply shortlist me for the Economics interview, after which the decision for acceptance is based solely on my performance on the interview and admissions tests and the personal statement no longer plays a part in the decision-making process?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending