The Student Room Group

UKCAT 2018 entry help!!

hi, i am currently undergoing my revision for the UKCAT which is in august. i am curremt;y struggling on each section and after continous pratice, i am still acheiving only below 500 in each section. i had ordered the 1000 UKCAT book but i found them questions so hard and i have paid for a one day course. does anyone have any other tips or advice? thanks

Scroll to see replies

Original post by leeeesh
hi, i am currently undergoing my revision for the UKCAT which is in august. i am curremt;y struggling on each section and after continous pratice, i am still acheiving only below 500 in each section. i had ordered the 1000 UKCAT book but i found them questions so hard and i have paid for a one day course. does anyone have any other tips or advice? thanks

Hi there!

First of all, don't panic!

The best way to improve your UKCAT scores is lots and lots of practice! Try working through section by section to see where you trip up most often, and work on that. For example, if you find yourself really struggling with QR, work on your mental maths - or if you're struggling with AR, come up with a mnemonic to help you remember what to look for (ie, size of the shapes, number, arrangement etc).

Our UKCAT Question Bank is 100% free with detailed answer explanations, so this might help you in your practice too!

You could also try reading our section-specific tips:

- UKCAT Decision Making Tips
- UKCAT Situational Judgement Tips
- UKCAT Abstract Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Quantitative Reasoning Tips
- UKCAT Verbal Reasoning Tips

Hope this helps! :smile:
The Medic Portal
Original post by leeeesh

You'll be okay! Just keep practicing and doing as many past papers as you can!

We have tons of free resources on our website, including tutorials and e-books.

Check them out on this link

Good Luck!

Mohil
UCL Y4
Medic Mind
hi I'm taking my UKCAT in a week and I booked it quite early because I thought if I did badly I could resit and send the better score but is this not possible?
Original post by lejefadetumadre
hi I'm taking my UKCAT in a week and I booked it quite early because I thought if I did badly I could resit and send the better score but is this not possible?

nope you're only allowed to take it once, sorry! i suggest you try toget the maximum revision you can. when have you booked it for?
Reply 5

Unfortunately you can only take the UKCAT once a year. However, if yours is in a week, you should still be able to postpone it which I recommend you do if you want more time to prepare :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
bruh i'm screwed it was meant for the 29th but i've changed it thanks for letting me know for sure or i'd have gone in and done it then.
i'm finding i get extremely poor scores on QR and AR, do you just recommend practice? and how intensively would you say because idk if i'm revising enough (around three hours daily)
Original post by 6med
Unfortunately you can only take the UKCAT once a year. However, if yours is in a week, you should still be able to postpone it which I recommend you do if you want more time to prepare :-)

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med

thank you for the advice :smile: i postponed it!
Original post by leeeesh
nope you're only allowed to take it once, sorry! i suggest you try toget the maximum revision you can. when have you booked it for?

29th lol but i moved it to the 18th of august
Original post by Medic Mind
You'll be okay! Just keep practicing and doing as many past papers as you can!

We have tons of free resources on our website, including tutorials and e-books.

Check them out on this link

Good Luck!

Mohil
UCL Y4
Medic Mind

ahhh thank youu i'm so nervous i definitely needed more practice material so thank you very much :smile:
29th lol but i moved it to the 18th of august

mine's on the 18th aswell! good luck :smile:i purchased medify which is really good to use
Reply 11
thank you for the advice :smile: i postponed it!

Ah good for you, I'm glad! The 18th August is a good amount of time to prepare, don't panic. Feel free to check out our online q bank UKCAT Ninja for resources/practice materials and do ask on here/DM if you have any specific queries, I'd be very happy to help in any way I can :-)

Best of luck,

Alex, 4th year UCL medic
6med
Did you guys practice timings when going theough the sections or only time yourself until the mock at the end? esp for quantitive reasoning and did you practice with mental maths or a calculator? is there a ukcat calc i can use for practice online? i know if i do mental maths only ITLL SLOW ME DOWN and i wont be able to time myself- what do i do :frown:
in verbale reasoning do you read through all of it in the start or straight to que then look for info?
thankyou
Hey everyone,I did the UKCAT last year and got 720VR, 800QR and 750AR and have written a post on my blog about my top tips and advice so check it out.. it might be quite handy for a few of you!

I managed to secure a place at Warwick uni starting in September for medicine so also follow my blog for updates throughout the year on personal statement and interview advice!

Good luck to you all-
Hannah
Original post by mygcserevision
Did you guys practice timings when going theough the sections or only time yourself until the mock at the end? esp for quantitive reasoning and did you practice with mental maths or a calculator? is there a ukcat calc i can use for practice online? i know if i do mental maths only ITLL SLOW ME DOWN and i wont be able to time myself- what do i do :frown:
in verbale reasoning do you read through all of it in the start or straight to que then look for info?
thankyou

Hi, what I did was first practice questions to get an idea of the style of questions I would be asked, and once I got the hang of them I started to time myself. I'd recommend using medify because it's really good!
For QR, I'd say only use it if you can't do mental maths in your head Bc the calculator does slow you down, try going on gcse bite size to recap some maths if it'd help
In VR, I'd say read the question first and pick a keyword from the question and skim read the passage to find it. This is what I'm doing and honestly it works
Hope this helps:smile:
Original post by sportfanatic
Hey everyone,I did the UKCAT last year and got 720VR, 800QR and 750AR and have written a post on my blog about my top tips and advice so check it out.. it might be quite handy for a few of you!

I managed to secure a place at Warwick uni starting in September for medicine so also follow my blog for updates throughout the year on personal statement and interview advice!

Good luck to you all-
Hannah

HI, Thankyou so much you're much your blog is honestly amazing!! X
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by leeeesh
HI, Thankyou so much you're much your blog is honestly amazing!! X

thank you that's really sweet! I hope it was helpful :smile: x
thank you that's really sweet! I hope it was helpful :smile: x

it really was!:smile:, i was just wondering what were your tips on getting such a high score on VR, this section i strugggle the most? x
Original post by leeeesh
it really was!:smile:, i was just wondering what were your tips on getting such a high score on VR, this section i strugggle the most? x

I actually found VR the hardest in practice too and never really did very well (I was surprised if i got around 650!) I would say first find a technique that works for you (do you prefer reading the question first or the passage first? Do you prefer to skim for key words or read the entire thing?) I think my technique ended up being skim the question then read the passage fully for the first of the four questions and then the final 3 should be easier :smile: x
I actually found VR the hardest in practice too and never really did very well (I was surprised if i got around 650!) I would say first find a technique that works for you (do you prefer reading the question first or the passage first? Do you prefer to skim for key words or read the entire thing?) I think my technique ended up being skim the question then read the passage fully for the first of the four questions and then the final 3 should be easier :smile: x

i prefer to read the question then skim the passage for the keyword :smile: i hope i do aswell as you! i have tried other methods but they just dont work out for me. did you find QR much easier than the practice questions? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending