The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get an A* at A level geography?

. Please share experiences

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Apparently an A in geography is equivalent to a D in physics...so idk
Reply 3
Original post by Appazap

Nice
Reply 4
Last year 4.3% of people taking Geography at A level achieved an A*. https://www.jcq.org.uk/examination-results/a-levels/2016
Reply 5
bump
Reply 6
Original post by Appazap

One is an essay based humanity subject, with the other being a scientific subject based on maths. Both require completely different skillsets and it is stupid to compare them.

In relation to the question; the difficulty of the subject will depend on the exam board, and since geography is a new linear course, it has yet to be determined how difficult it is going to be. I did the old legacy edexcel spec and whilst the content was straightforward, the level of detail, analysis and precision needed for an A* was high - subsequently, the grade boundaries were high, meaning you needed to work very hard for an A*.
Reply 7
Original post by skuka
One is an essay based humanity subject, with the other being a scientific subject based on maths. Both require completely different skillsets and it is stupid to compare them.

In relation to the question; the difficulty of the subject will depend on the exam board, and since geography is a new linear course, it has yet to be determined how difficult it is going to be. I did the old legacy edexcel spec and whilst the content was straightforward, the level of detail, analysis and precision needed for an A* was high - subsequently, the grade boundaries were high, meaning you needed to work very hard for an A*.

Did you get the A*? I'll need an A but A* would be nice
Reply 8
Original post by ronnydandam
Did you get the A*? I'll need an A but A* would be nice

I'll let you know next Thursday. :eek:
. Please share experiences

Hi Geography is new spec (I just did year 12 and we are the first year of new spec) so noone has done the full A-Level yet.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
If you work hard, revise case studies inside out and keep ontop of your work, its not that hard to get an A* if you love geography! I'm hoping for at least an A if not an A*, and for the previous aqa spec as long as you revised EVERYTHING its easy to gain marks because they do repeat some questions or alter the wording... The only issue I think is timing and the 40 mark essay in A2 can be based on many small topics so its hard to remember everything! :smile: But definitely achievable, I know people that have done it :smile:
Original post by SuperHuman98
Hi Geography is new spec (I just did year 12 and we are the first year of new spec) so noone has done the full A-Level yet.

I mean geography in general, it can't be much different just because it's new spec

Original post by L1lly
If you work hard, revise case studies inside out and keep ontop of your work, its not that hard to get an A* if you love geography! I'm hoping for at least an A if not an A*, and for the previous aqa spec as long as you revised EVERYTHING its easy to gain marks because they do repeat some questions or alter the wording... The only issue I think is timing and the 40 mark essay in A2 can be based on many small topics so its hard to remember everything! :smile: But definitely achievable, I know people that have done it :smile:

So it just mainly memorising the case studies or a lot of application too? Good luck :smile:

Original post by skuka
I'll let you know next Thursday. :eek:

good luck :smile:
I mean geography in general, it can't be much different just because it's new spec

So it just mainly memorising the case studies or a lot of application too? Good luck :smile:

good luck :smile:

Yeah revision tehniques are the same but exam is much different now :smile:. Also there is coursework on the new spec so that will be helpful in getting an A*
Yeah revision tehniques are the same but exam is much different now :smile:. Also there is coursework on the new spec so that will be helpful in getting an A*

How else is the exam different? And when is the coursework sat? I want to do the A level in one year :smile:
How else is the exam different? And when is the coursework sat? I want to do the A level in one year :smile:

We have a fieldwork essay and old spec doesnt... i am not sure how else its different as I never seen old spec paper but I am sure its different :smile:.

For edexcel my coursework is based on one of the AS topics . So you would start it right after you learn the AS stuff :smile:.

I am predicted an A for AS geog but not sure whar i willngrt tbh. If i get a good grade I will be willing to help you with advice once you start the A-level :smile:
We have a fieldwork essay and old spec doesnt... i am not sure how else its different as I never seen old spec paper but I am sure its different :smile:.

For edexcel my coursework is based on one of the AS topics . So you would start it right after you learn the AS stuff :smile:.

I am predicted an A for AS geog but not sure whar i willngrt tbh. If i get a good grade I will be willing to help you with advice once you start the A-level :smile:

Decent... Thanks a lot :smile: And good luck!!! :biggrin:

There is no coursework (NEA) that counts towards the final grade.
Original post by Compost
There is no coursework (NEA) that counts towards the final grade.

Oh right my bad, I hope my exam board isn't the only one that has set coursework :frown: :lol:
Oh right my bad, I hope my exam board isn't the only one that has set coursework :frown: :lol:

It's Ofqual who decides whether a subject has coursework or not and the exam boards (AQA, Edexcel and OCR - different rules in Wales and NI) have to comply with that so either they all do or none of them does.
Original post by Compost
It's Ofqual who decides whether a subject has coursework or not and the exam boards (AQA, Edexcel and OCR - different rules in Wales and NI) have to comply with that so either they all do or none of them does.

Completely wrong
1) They do have coursework I have just seen the specifications
2) OCR MEI Maths has coursework but the other exam boards don't so that can't be true either

Quick Reply

Latest