The Student Room Group

Book to compare to The Great Gatsby

Basically for English Literature A2 our class were told we were to study The Colour Purple and The Secret Life of Bees and then analyse / compare them in an essay for our coursework. However, I feel like although I like the books I am not interested in them enough to form a decent essay. So I suggested to my teacher that I analyse The Great Gatsby along with another book and alongs that book is post-2000 and classed as a novel and not teen fiction I will be allowed so I desperately need some ideas!!
Original post by MadCow_
Basically for English Literature A2 our class were told we were to study The Colour Purple and The Secret Life of Bees and then analyse / compare them in an essay for our coursework. However, I feel like although I like the books I am not interested in them enough to form a decent essay. So I suggested to my teacher that I analyse The Great Gatsby along with another book and alongs that book is post-2000 and classed as a novel and not teen fiction I will be allowed so I desperately need some ideas!!

Have you had a think about what themes you might want to compare with Gatsby? As this can give some indiction for other novels.
Think about books that in the same genre/time period aka the American Dream period and then pick on that tackles similar themes (probs greed, the naivety of youth, money and New America and its unrealistic optimism I am guessing here) but in different ways. This comparison would allow for a better essay
For my A2 exam we studied Gatsby alongside The Grapes of Wrath- it's interesting to compare and contrast The Great Depression and The Boom from a contextual viewpoint. However, The Grapes of Wrath is a VERY tedious read and so I don't recommend it for that reason, I found it quite boring! Books that were suggested for wider reading by OCR to compare and contrast with Gatsby were Native Son and A Farewell to Arms to name a couple. I think comparing a 1920's novel with a 1930's one would make an interesting essay for both you, research wise, and the reader! I don't know what other novels Steinbeck has produced, he may be a good author to use (just don't do Of Mice and Men, for obvious reasons)! :smile:
Original post by MadCow_

CCEA exam board? If so i'm considering doing the exact same! I'm facing the same dilemma :frown:
The only strict requirement is that one of the texts MUST have been written/published AFTER THE YEAR 2000
Reply 5
Original post by connormc199
CCEA exam board? If so i'm considering doing the exact same! I'm facing the same dilemma :frown:
The only strict requirement is that one of the texts MUST have been written/published AFTER THE YEAR 2000

WJEC exam board but that's the sam requirement as mine, one has to be pre 2000 and the other HAS to be after 2000! Think I've settled on doing Atonement alongside the Great Gatsby using links of perception and emotion for the essay, hope that's some help to you!!
Aw sweet! What theme are you doing?
Gatsby was listed under American Culture in our Spec and i didnt want to dystopian so i need to find an alternative book to compare to gatsby! Glad you found a text that was feasible, my struggle continues :P
Reply 7
Probably perception including like class and how people's own emotions and experiences influence how they interpret certain events (like the drama with Gatsby, Daisy and Tom compared to Brionys lies in Atonement) was only planning on mentioning the American culture for the context marks but not heavily but aw hope you find a book soon!
Original post by MadCow_
WJEC exam board but that's the sam requirement as mine, one has to be pre 2000 and the other HAS to be after 2000! Think I've settled on doing Atonement alongside the Great Gatsby using links of perception and emotion for the essay, hope that's some help to you!!

That's a great idea to use Atonement - there are great similarities. You've also got the link in there of certain characters (Tom, Daisy, Briony) destroying the lives of those around them (Myrtle, Gatsby, Cecilia, Robbie), out of jealousy or just boredom.

I love this line:
''They were careless people, Tom and Daisy- they smashed up things and creatures and then retreated back into their money or their vast carelessness or whatever it was that kept them together, and let other people clean up the mess they had made.''

I suppose the difference is that Briony ultimately has a conscience and tries to fix the damage she's caused, whereas Tom and Daisy disappear, and Daisy doesn't even come to Gatsby's funeral.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
Daisy Miller.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending