The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Hi!

I am going into year 13 and I am thinking of applying to Biological Natural Sciences. I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths A-levels and I hope you can answer some questions I have. Thank you for doing this and I'm sorry for asking a lot.

I am considering dropping Further Maths as I found Chemistry to be my hardest subject in year 12 and I want to spend more time on it and aim for an A* instead of an A as it is more relevant for Biochemistry (the course I am going to apply for my other university options) than Further Maths, but I'm not sure of its relevance in comparison to Further Maths for Biological Natural Sciences. I just wanted to know what your opinion on this is as I would rather focus on 3 A-levels and aim for 3A*s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths than aim for A*A*AA by taking 4 A-levels but my school disagrees and thinks its better for me to continue 4 A-levels.

I am predicted A*A*AA (A* in Biology and Maths) but my main concern is my A prediction in Chemistry. How would my A prediction in Chemistry be seen, especially since I would like to study mainly Biology and Chemistry options? Also, would it be seen differently if I did decide to drop Further Maths so that I'm predicted A*A*A?

For my other university options, I am going to apply for Biochemistry so my personal statement will be focused on Biochemistry. Will I be at a disadvantage for not mentioning other areas which I am interested in, such as Maths?

Thank you again for doing this and I'm sorry for asking a lot of questions. I hope you can make me less confused :smile:
Original post by velvett
Hi, how/what would you recommend in terms of volunteering / shadowing or work experience in sixth for someone looking to pursue medicine at Cambridge?

Unlike some medical schools, Cambridge doesn't have specific requirements in terms of the number of hours healthcare experience you need to have acquired, and we aren't prescriptive about how you acquire it. Our main concern is that you have done enough to give you a realistic understanding of what it means to be a doctor. Shadowing can be difficult to arrange, but if you can spend some time in a hospital and/or with a GP, then that will provide useful insights. Otherwise, any paid or voluntary work in a healthcare or caring setting is fine, whether that is St John's Ambulance, a part-time job in your local pharmacy, or helping out at the local care home.
Hello, I was rejected from Cambridge this admission cycle for BioNatsci due to reasons related to my predicted grades and part 1 of the NSAA. However, I ended up exceeding the traditional offer (EU student here). I'd really like to reapply next year but I am having trouble coming up with activities to do during my gap year. Would you say they have to be related to the subject I'm applying to (bionatsci)? If so, would you please be able to tell me of things I can partake in during my gap year that are related to biology? Overall, what is expected of a gap year applicant?
Original post by R.Becca
Hi!

I am going into year 13 and I am thinking of applying to Biological Natural Sciences. I am currently studying Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths A-levels and I hope you can answer some questions I have. Thank you for doing this and I'm sorry for asking a lot.

I am considering dropping Further Maths as I found Chemistry to be my hardest subject in year 12 and I want to spend more time on it and aim for an A* instead of an A as it is more relevant for Biochemistry (the course I am going to apply for my other university options) than Further Maths, but I'm not sure of its relevance in comparison to Further Maths for Biological Natural Sciences. I just wanted to know what your opinion on this is as I would rather focus on 3 A-levels and aim for 3A*s in Biology, Chemistry and Maths than aim for A*A*AA by taking 4 A-levels but my school disagrees and thinks its better for me to continue 4 A-levels.

I am predicted A*A*AA (A* in Biology and Maths) but my main concern is my A prediction in Chemistry. How would my A prediction in Chemistry be seen, especially since I would like to study mainly Biology and Chemistry options? Also, would it be seen differently if I did decide to drop Further Maths so that I'm predicted A*A*A?

For my other university options, I am going to apply for Biochemistry so my personal statement will be focused on Biochemistry. Will I be at a disadvantage for not mentioning other areas which I am interested in, such as Maths?

Thank you again for doing this and I'm sorry for asking a lot of questions. I hope you can make me less confused :smile:

Where Biological Natural Sciences are concerned, Chemistry is arguably the most important A-level, and the majority of successful applicants have an A* in Chemistry. There is no reason you should not continue with Further Maths A-level, if your school thinks you are capable of doing well in it, but it is less relevant than Chemistry, and as a general rule I would always recommend that students focus on three subjects, and excel in them, than spread themselves too thinly over four. (It is also worth bearing in mind that Cambridge offers are based on three A-level subjects, which would in your case undoubtedly include Chemistry, not on four.)

You won't be disadvantaged by submitting a Personal Statement centred on Biochemistry, no - this is very common, in fact. If you would like to mention other areas of the Natural Sciences degree that interest you, you can do this on the Cambridge Supplementary Application Questionnaire.

I hope this helps!
Original post by grasping
Hello, I was rejected from Cambridge this admission cycle for BioNatsci due to reasons related to my predicted grades and part 1 of the NSAA. However, I ended up exceeding the traditional offer (EU student here). I'd really like to reapply next year but I am having trouble coming up with activities to do during my gap year. Would you say they have to be related to the subject I'm applying to (bionatsci)? If so, would you please be able to tell me of things I can partake in during my gap year that are related to biology? Overall, what is expected of a gap year applicant?

No, your gap year activities don't have to be related to the subject for which you're applying: plenty of people use the time simply to work and save up some money ahead of university. However, you will need to make sure you keep your academic skills sharp - perhaps look at some online courses and problems, and do plenty of relevant reading!
Original post by ᒍack
How much do GCSEs affect your application?

I think you've already had some very helpful replies to this question, courtesy of @vincrows. But if there's a specific reason you're asking, that hasn't been covered in the previous posts, then I'd be happy to advise further if I can.
Reply 346
Original post by Christ's Admissions
Where Biological Natural Sciences are concerned, Chemistry is arguably the most important A-level, and the majority of successful applicants have an A* in Chemistry. There is no reason you should not continue with Further Maths A-level, if your school thinks you are capable of doing well in it, but it is less relevant than Chemistry, and as a general rule I would always recommend that students focus on three subjects, and excel in them, than spread themselves too thinly over four. (It is also worth bearing in mind that Cambridge offers are based on three A-level subjects, which would in your case undoubtedly include Chemistry, not on four.)

You won't be disadvantaged by submitting a Personal Statement centred on Biochemistry, no - this is very common, in fact. If you would like to mention other areas of the Natural Sciences degree that interest you, you can do this on the Cambridge Supplementary Application Questionnaire.

I hope this helps!

Thank you very much for the reply! I will most likely drop Further Maths as I would rather aim for 3A*s as Chemistry is more relevant for Biological Natural Sciences and Biochemistry. However, since the majority of successful applicants have an A* in Chemistry, how will my A prediction be seen?

Thank you again for this!
Original post by R.Becca
Thank you very much for the reply! I will most likely drop Further Maths as I would rather aim for 3A*s as Chemistry is more relevant for Biological Natural Sciences and Biochemistry. However, since the majority of successful applicants have an A* in Chemistry, how will my A prediction be seen?

Thank you again for this!

An A prediction is close enough for our purposes: we know that there are inaccuracies in teachers' predictions, and that students can improve significantly between October, when they apply, and June, when they sit their A-levels, and we also have our own methods of assessing your competence in the subject (interview, pre-interview assessment and so on).
An A prediction is close enough for our purposes: we know that there are inaccuracies in teachers' predictions, and that students can improve significantly between October, when they apply, and June, when they sit their A-levels, and we also have our own methods of assessing your competence in the subject (interview, pre-interview assessment and so on).

But an offer (if given) might specify an A* in Chemistry... ... ...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
But an offer (if given) might specify an A* in Chemistry... ... ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

It might, regardless of the prediction.
Hi everyone, I'm the Admissions Tutor at Christ's College, and I'm here to answer any questions you might have about applications or admissions to the University of Cambridge, or to Christ's College specifically, until August 08. So please fire away!

if an entry requirment is A*AA and youre predcited A*A*A but you only obtain 1 A* instead of 2 on results day, will you still be accepted into the uni even though you didnt meet your predicted? Are unis more likely to accept you if youre predicted highly (the more A*s) or do you only have to be predicted the entry requirments to be considered?if i was predicted 2A*S instead of one would i be more advantaged even though you only need 1?
Original post by mygcserevision
if an entry requirment is A*AA and youre predcited A*A*A but you only obtain 1 A* instead of 2 on results day, will you still be accepted into the uni even though you didnt meet your predicted? Are unis more likely to accept you if youre predicted highly (the more A*s) or do you only have to be predicted the entry requirments to be considered?if i was predicted 2A*S instead of one would i be more advantaged even though you only need 1?

If you are set an offer of A*AA, and you achieve A*AA, a university is obliged to accept you, regardless of your predictions (and whether you live up to them or not). Most universities will consider your application seriously if there is evidence that you are working close to the relevant offer level, so even a prediction of AAA will not rule you out of contention. A prediction that is higher than the standard offer level will only work to your advantage if it is supported by other indications of academic potential (e.g., for Cambridge, a solid score in any assessment or test, and at interview).
If you are set an offer of A*AA, and you achieve A*AA, a university is obliged to accept you, regardless of your predictions (and whether you live up to them or not). Most universities will consider your application seriously if there is evidence that you are working close to the relevant offer level, so even a prediction of AAA will not rule you out of contention. A prediction that is higher than the standard offer level will only work to your advantage if it is supported by other indications of academic potential (e.g., for Cambridge, a solid score in any assessment or test, and at interview).

By offer do you mean their minimum requirements for the course? is the requirments the same for everyone?I think im going to be predicted A*'s but im scared of the pressure of me not getting that many A*s when its not even needed for the course- added stress? but if it benefits my application...?
Original post by mygcserevision
By offer do you mean their minimum requirements for the course? is the requirments the same for everyone?I think im going to be predicted A*'s but im scared of the pressure of me not getting that many A*s when its not even needed for the course- added stress? but if it benefits my application...?

The Offer is the formal requirement the universities give you when you apply*. It's usually in line with the typical requirements. You "merely" need to achieve the offer to get your place.

Your predictions are not relevant after you get the offer.

It's common for Cambridge applicants to have predictions in excess of the typical requirements. But so long as your predictions are at least in line with the requirements they don't actually matter very much for Cambridge.

*Not everyone gets an offer though...

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an A*A*AA for advanced higher maths, mechanics, chemistry and physics. Will my two *normal As* hinder my chances of getting in for natural sciences?
Original post by marinacalder
I got an A*A*AA for advanced higher maths, mechanics, chemistry and physics. Will my two *normal As* hinder my chances of getting in for natural sciences?

Do you mean A1 A1 A2 A2 in Scottish Advanced Highers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Assuming @Doonesbury is right, and you mean A1 A1 A2 A2, then I suspect it might, especially if you also secured A2 in those subjects at Higher Level, and there are no contextual factors at work. You probably need to consider ways to "add value", academically, if you are considering applying to Cambridge.
Assuming @Doonesbury is right, and you mean A1 A1 A2 A2, then I suspect it might, especially if you also secured A2 in those subjects at Higher Level, and there are no contextual factors at work. You probably need to consider ways to "add value", academically, if you are considering applying to Cambridge.

It was actually down to my projects- I have no idea why they didn't go well as I went through the criteria and my teachers even commented they were good reports- these projects account for around 30% of the overall grade. I got 5 A1s at higher in geography, maths, physics, chemistry and biology, and was awarded the school's physics cup at the end of term this year for obtaining the highest prelim results in the school.
Would it be worth mentioning my 'disappointing projects' in the SAQ?

(Many thanks for your response!)
Original post by Doonesbury
Do you mean A1 A1 A2 A2 in Scottish Advanced Highers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I do
Yes I do

ok, so see the Tutor's reply above.

By the way, it's less confusing for everyone to just use the grades associated with your qualifications rather than try to equate them to A-levels.

Latest

Trending

Trending