The Student Room Group

How should a 20 year old guy dress?

I feel too old to just wear athletic clothes 24/7 (skinny joggers, hoodies, trainers) and too young to wear suits or more 'dressy' clothes like leather shoes, chinos, shirts etc..

How should a 20 year old dress?
I am currently in college studying business, I'm 5'9 with brown hair curly hair.

A girl said to me before I would look really hot if I dressed older. I was wearing Old skools, Skinny/Slim Jeans and a beiges slim fit jumper. She kept saying how attractive it would be, she has a boyfriend but she's very flirty...

What do you think, how should a 20 year old dress?
However the f**k he wants.
Reply 2
Sounds like you dress alright. Tell her you only dress that way if it’s for someone special (or something along those lines in a flirty manner)
Reply 3
Just dress however you want, go to a shop and just try on a load of different styles and then decide on what you like if you want to change your look. As long as you feel comfortable in it, there's loads of people that stay wearing sporty stuff for ages really so if you're comfortable with it then stick with it. I think the whole quirky thing is pretty cool, and I think most girls do to be honest because it shows a bit of confidence and individuality. That being said don't go for a quirky look if you don't feel confident in it because then that just defeats the objective aha.

Unfortunately it seems dress sense is what people judge you on first and that's how they decide what kind of person you are without even having a conversation with you, and that's why I think it's really important that you like what you wear, how you look and that you're comfortable in it and not just doing it for somebody else. I think you should just buy whatever you like, even if it doesn't fit in with what you usually wear, I started buying whatever and I dress completely differently day to day and people just get used to it haha.
Not covered in brand logos. No-one should wear chinos.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanLaurentParis
I feel too old to just wear athletic clothes 24/7 (skinny joggers, hoodies, trainers) and too young to wear suits or more 'dressy' clothes like leather shoes, chinos, shirts etc..

How should a 20 year old dress?
I am currently in college studying business, I'm 5'9 with brown hair curly hair.

A girl said to me before I would look really hot if I dressed older. I was wearing Old skools, Skinny/Slim Jeans and a beiges slim fit jumper. She kept saying how attractive it would be, she has a boyfriend but she's very flirty...

What do you think, how should a 20 year old dress?

Your not.

Back when i was 17-21 i often wore smart casual (shoes, jeans with belt, shirt and skinny tie, shirt and jumper, shirt and blazer) and i had plenty of women approach me to tell me how nice my clothes looked.

Clearly different was good.
Reply 6
There is no set way a 20 year old should dress. You are an adult now and should start picking your style.

I dress with shirts/polo shirts, jumpers, loafers/boat shoes. No jeans, no trainers. I'd like to see more people dressing like this (i.e. well). And since you study business, a shirt or a business casual look can't be too inappropriate.
Original post by DrSocSciences
Not covered in brand logos. No-one should wear chinos.

whats wrong with brand logos?
Original post by study beats

It's naff and crass. People who shamelessly flaunt their designer clothes reek of desperation, tastelessness and insecurity. There's no need to show off to the world how well you or your parents are doing; it offends other people (i.e. legitimately wealthy people) and is insensitive to some others (i.e. legitimately poor people). Modesty and discretion are far nobler than ostentatiousness.
Original post by LostYouth
It's naff and crass. People who shamelessly flaunt their designer clothes reek of desperation, tastelessness and insecurity. There's no need to show off to the world how well you or your parents are doing; it offends other people (i.e. legitimately wealthy people) and is insensitive to some others (i.e. legitimately poor people). Modesty and discretion are far nobler than ostentatiousness.

lol wtf? are you serious

Brand logos communicate your membership of a specific social tribe, and signal to other members of that tribe that you belong. They convey a neediness and insecurity that, to me, is incongruous with adulthood.
Reply 11
lol wtf? are you serious

What do you think about these?

But the very worst piece of designer clothing is sold by Gucci:
Original post by usualsuspects
What do you think about these?

But the very worst piece of designer clothing is sold by Gucci:

well the car and shoes just look ridiculous.

what about a long sleeved tshirt with an ea7 armani logo on the front ?
Reply 13
well the car and shoes just look ridiculous.

what about a long sleeved tshirt with an ea7 armani logo on the front ?

I don't think @LostYouth's point was that you can't wear anything with a logo, but you shouldn't be covered in logos (i.e. On your trousers, shoes, shirt and possibly cap/bag). This should be avoided:
For me it comes down to pure style. Some logos are well placed and add to the item, some do not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending