The Student Room Group

RAF Medical Assessment Appeal

So I have been reading through many threads similar to this one but none seem to be relevant to my case and I just thought I needed some advice. I understand that the medical requirements are very strict for valid reasons but I was wondering if there really is any point in appealing the letter i received classing me as "MEDDICALY UNFIT". This was because 2 years ago I tore the ligament in my left knee on the inside, in addition to this 2 weeks prior to my medical assessment I slightly twisted the same knee as I was at the gym everyday training for the assessment and seemingly 'overdid' it. The private doctor put my recruitment process on hold until I could have an MRI scan on my knee to ensure that there wasn't anything wrong with my knee. The results came back to be reviewed and my GP stated "The appearances are within normal limits with no significant internal derangement identified. In particular both menisci, cruciate and collateral ligaments are intact. The signal returned from the bone marrow is normal. There is no joint effusion. The extensor mechanism is intact. CONCLUSION - Normal Appearance. This was then sent to Capita to be reviewed as well. About 1 week later I received a letter classing me as medically unfit because of previous injury to my left knee 2 years ago and a partial injury a few weeks back. I instantly wanted to appeal it because I don't believe that my knee would be any problem. So I went to my GP for supporting evidence and he stated that he can't understand why I have been deemed as medically unfit as when I originally tore the ligament I didn't require any treatment except physiotherapy. Furthermore, he said that the RAF hadn't asked for any of my medical records whatsoever. In addition, I am going to have a full physical assessment carried out by a PT at my local gym who is going to write an evaluation on me for more supporting evidence. I was just concerned that they may instantly decline it as I'm not sure if it a "Valid ground for appeal"?
Reply 1
Original post by Jack_Slatt1
So I have been reading through many threads similar to this one but none seem to be relevant to my case and I just thought I needed some advice. I understand that the medical requirements are very strict for valid reasons but I was wondering if there really is any point in appealing the letter i received classing me as "MEDDICALY UNFIT". This was because 2 years ago I tore the ligament in my left knee on the inside, in addition to this 2 weeks prior to my medical assessment I slightly twisted the same knee as I was at the gym everyday training for the assessment and seemingly 'overdid' it. The private doctor put my recruitment process on hold until I could have an MRI scan on my knee to ensure that there wasn't anything wrong with my knee. The results came back to be reviewed and my GP stated "The appearances are within normal limits with no significant internal derangement identified. In particular both menisci, cruciate and collateral ligaments are intact. The signal returned from the bone marrow is normal. There is no joint effusion. The extensor mechanism is intact. CONCLUSION - Normal Appearance. This was then sent to Capita to be reviewed as well. About 1 week later I received a letter classing me as medically unfit because of previous injury to my left knee 2 years ago and a partial injury a few weeks back. I instantly wanted to appeal it because I don't believe that my knee would be any problem. So I went to my GP for supporting evidence and he stated that he can't understand why I have been deemed as medically unfit as when I originally tore the ligament I didn't require any treatment except physiotherapy. Furthermore, he said that the RAF hadn't asked for any of my medical records whatsoever. In addition, I am going to have a full physical assessment carried out by a PT at my local gym who is going to write an evaluation on me for more supporting evidence. I was just concerned that they may instantly decline it as I'm not sure if it a "Valid ground for appeal"?

You are looking for specifics on a medical opinion.

Nobody here is qualified to give you those answers. With the best will in the world, you're wasting your time by posting here.

The RAF don't review your medical records - that's what Capita do. They're the ones who perform the medical assessments and they're the ones who decided you're unfit.

The assessment by a gym instructor is nice for your piece of mind, but wouldn't be taken into consideration should you appeal.

By all means try, but be aware of the limitations.
Reply 2
Original post by Drewski
You are looking for specifics on a medical opinion.

Nobody here is qualified to give you those answers. With the best will in the world, you're wasting your time by posting here.

The RAF don't review your medical records - that's what Capita do. They're the ones who perform the medical assessments and they're the ones who decided you're unfit.

The assessment by a gym instructor is nice for your piece of mind, but wouldn't be taken into consideration should you appeal.

By all means try, but be aware of the limitations.

alright thanks anyway.
Hi, I had my medical last week (10th Aug) and was classed medically unfit. I am currently serving in the RAF and deploying to the Falklands in 4 weeks, so I am fit for that. What ever you do, appeal and get as much evidence as you can. I had a bladder issue back end of last year and because it said 'incontinence' on my records I was classed as unfit and have to be clear for 2 years. I got the all clear in March after seeing a urologist and had test done on my bladder and nothing was wrong and was not incontinent, it was down to lifestyle drinking too much coffee and too little water. I went back to the Urologist this week and he is writing a letter for the appeal and he also scanned my bladder and there are no issues. Also, seeing the doctor on station this week for his backing and then there will be my letter of appeal. Don't give up as the appeals go to the RAF medical board for them to assess. It can take 1 week to 3 months before you hear back and also around 50% of medicals by capita come back as unfit. The doctor at capita also told me to appeal.Good luck.
Original post by lisaedwardsuk
Hi, I had my medical last week (10th Aug) and was classed medically unfit. I am currently serving in the RAF and deploying to the Falklands in 4 weeks, so I am fit for that. What ever you do, appeal and get as much evidence as you can. I had a bladder issue back end of last year and because it said 'incontinence' on my records I was classed as unfit and have to be clear for 2 years. I got the all clear in March after seeing a urologist and had test done on my bladder and nothing was wrong and was not incontinent, it was down to lifestyle drinking too much coffee and too little water. I went back to the Urologist this week and he is writing a letter for the appeal and he also scanned my bladder and there are no issues. Also, seeing the doctor on station this week for his backing and then there will be my letter of appeal. Don't give up as the appeals go to the RAF medical board for them to assess. It can take 1 week to 3 months before you hear back and also around 50% of medicals by capita come back as unfit. The doctor at capita also told me to appeal.Good luck.

I have had the same problem as you (Bladder problem). It happened last year and Capita said I can't join till 2 years after it happened just incase something develops from it. I'm going to try to appeal as I've been fine for a year. Fingers crossed
Reply 5
Original post by tylerhewitt66
I have had the same problem as you (Bladder problem). It happened last year and Capita said I can't join till 2 years after it happened just incase something develops from it. I'm going to try to appeal as I've been fine for a year. Fingers crossed

Being fine for a year in normal life doesn't suddenly make you fine to join the Armed Forces. If you've been told 2 years, it's 2 years unless you meet the criteria for an appeal of presenting information that is in addition or different to that in your medical records; can you do that?
Reply 6
Hi there, I had issues with my medical process and in my case I was fine but Capita deemed me TMU, I appealed with a letter from my GP saying everything was fine with me, and the TMU was overturned. I think Capita have a strict guideline to follow so it's highly likely for things to be flagged up. If you have clear evidence from a professional that you are clear you shouldn't have any issues with your appeal.

Quick Reply

Latest