The Student Room Group

condoms

firstly, how reliable are condoms as a form of contraception?

At school, we were told to test a condom after we'd used it to make sure it hadn't split. They told us to fill it with water and see if there was a leak. Is this not weird, will your partner (I'm a girl) not find it odd if you took it away to the tap and checked?
Reply 1
Yes, your boyfriend will find that very weird.
You'll find out if it worked with a pregnancy test in 2 months.
I find the most reliable and subtle method is to blow the condom up like a balloon. If it inflates, you're good to go. Maybe don't pop it though.
Original post by Anonymous
firstly, how reliable are condoms as a form of contraception?

At school, we were told to test a condom after we'd used it to make sure it hadn't split. They told us to fill it with water and see if there was a leak. Is this not weird, will your partner (I'm a girl) not find it odd if you took it away to the tap and checked?

I tend to use LELO Hex condoms. They are by far the most superior condoms in the world and I would recommend them to anyone thinking about using condoms.
You can test the condoms before your boyfriend comes so it is not that weird. But honestly if you don't test the condoms using at least one condom test then you are going to regret it when the pregnancy test says "pregnant"
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
You can test the condoms before your boyfriend comes so it is not that weird. But honestly if you don't test the condoms using at least one condom test then you are going to regret it when the pregnancy test says "pregnant"

It is useless to check before as it is more likely to break during sex. You check after and if it's broken then she takes a pill.
Original post by edd522
It is useless to check before as it is more likely to break during sex. You check after and if it's broken then she takes a pill.

^^^ Definitely. Please don't fill a condom with water before putting it on, or it won't be effective.

Note: you can the emergency pill for free on the NHS and they'll keep it confidential, but you need to take ideally <48 hours afterwards. It essentially brings on an early period and might mess with your cycle a bit, but at least you won't get pregnant.

Condoms are great when used with other contraception e.g the pill or the implant. The risk of getting pregnant from a broken condom is virtually impossible if this is the case. I've used both, so if anyone has any questions about them, feel free to ask me.
Original post by Thrillanthropist
^^^ Definitely. Please don't fill a condom with water before putting it on, or it won't be effective.

Note: you can the emergency pill for free on the NHS and they'll keep it confidential, but you need to take ideally <48 hours afterwards. It essentially brings on an early period and might mess with your cycle a bit, but at least you won't get pregnant.

Condoms are great when used with other contraception e.g the pill or the implant. The risk of getting pregnant from a broken condom is virtually impossible if this is the case. I've used both, so if anyone has any questions about them, feel free to ask me.

lol what do u think about not using a condom at all if the girl is on the pill/implant?
Surely the condom will be filled with semen afterwards...
Original post by MistressEpping69
lol what do u think about not using a condom at all if the girl is on the pill/implant?

condoms offer protection from STI's as well as prevention from pregnancy. So if you or your partner have or have had multiple partners, then you should definitely use a condom. Also, if she forgets her pill or the implant expires (they only last 3 years) then you should use a condom for the next 7 days (or until the implant gets renewed) or she will probably get pregnant. If you are confident that you and your partner are in the clear (bearing in mind a lot of people carry STIs and never develop any diseases) then, by all means, do it raw. But I wouldn't go raw with 2-3+ men without getting tested for an STI (which is also free and 100% confidential and can send anonymous messages to your ex-partners to get tested too). You can even do it under a fake name.

TL;DR: you won't get pregnant but might get an STD....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending