The Student Room Group

How do you simplify Surds?

Would anyone like to help me with this question?

simplify fully (√x + √9y)(√x - 3√y)

Thank you for your time.
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
Would anyone like to help me with this question?

simplify fully (√x + √9y)(√x - 3√y)

Thank you for your time.

The first step would be to use FOIL to expand the brackets as you would normally. Could you please post your workings so that we can see which bit in particular you need help on?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
The first step would be to use FOIL to expand the brackets as you would normally. Could you please post your workings so that we can see which bit in particular you need help on?

I need help on simplifying the surds.
Reply 3

Well, you have to expand the brackets first. If you can't do that, then there's no use in knowing how to simplify surds. Also:

sqrt(3) * sqrt(5) = sqrt(3 * 5)

if that helps.

It's quite a strange question because the surds don't simplify particularly nicely. EDIT: I misinterpreted question because of missing brackets in OP; it actually simplifies very nicely and is a difference of two squares.

Nevertheless:
x×x\sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x} is the same as (x)2(\sqrt{x})^2, which simplifies to...?

9\sqrt{9} is what positive integer...?

and yyy2×yy2×yy\sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2} \times \sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2 \times y}, which simplifies to...?

Can you post your working to check?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
Is it something like X - 9Y?
Reply 6
It's quite a strange question because the surds don't simplify particularly nicely.

Nevertheless:
x×x\sqrt{x} \times \sqrt{x} is the same as (x)2(\sqrt{x})^2, which simplifies to...?

9\sqrt{9} is what positive integer...?

and yyy2×yy2×yy\sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2} \times \sqrt{y} \equiv \sqrt{y^2 \times y}, which simplifies to...?

Can you post your working to check?

I can't work it out, i can simplify brackets without surds, but with surds is a whole new thing... :frown:
Reply 7
Original post by ᒍack
Is it something like X - 9Y?
#

can you show me how you got that, i don't have the answers, but could you explain please.
I can't work it out, i can simplify brackets without surds, but with surds is a whole new thing... :frown:

Ok, can you at least write out what you've got so far?

eg (x+(9y))(x3y)x(x3y)+3y(x3y)(\sqrt{x}+\sqrt{(9y)})(\sqrt{x}-3\sqrt{y}) \equiv \sqrt{x}(\sqrt{x} -3\sqrt{y}) + 3\sqrt{y}(\sqrt{x}-3\sqrt{y})

That's the first bit of expansion. Where would you go from there? Post your working!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
I'm not 100% if it's correct, see if Mr K_man can help ya.

With thing like this you need to know the laws of surds and their rules fairly well.
Original post by ᒍack
I'm not 100% if it's correct, see if Mr K_man can help ya.

With thing like this you need to know the laws of surds and their rules fairly well.

Your answer is correct, it's just that on this forum we prefer to help students along rather than straight up give an answer, so that they may think about the question, work through the problem themselves and that way learn better. We'd usually only give a worked solution if the student is really struggling even after a while of coaxing. Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution, just don't go straight to the solution next time :smile:
Reply 11
Your answer is correct, it's just that on this forum we prefer to help students along rather than straight up give an answer, so that they may think about the question, work through the problem themselves and that way learn better. We'd usually only give a worked solution if the student is really struggling even after a while of coaxing. Nevertheless, thanks for the contribution, just don't go straight to the solution next time :smile:

Yeah honestly I wasn't even too sure myself, I'm not the greatest with surds, and sure thing. When I start in September I reckon i'm going to be posting a lot, it's a good way so you can identify where they're going wrong so they don't do it in the exam :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest