The Student Room Group

CfE Advanced Higher Mathematics 2017/2018

Scroll to see replies

I'll be doing this too 😊
Reply 21
People from last year?? who was surprised that they just lowered the C boundary by one mark like actually wtf

btw good advice for you guys is don't get over confident from your prelim results, and just keep revising from the start you really don't want to start cramming in the last week lolz this was probably the biggest mistake everyone made in last years thread.
Reply 22
Original post by Nuba123
Sat this exam this year, got a B in the prelim and predicted an A in the final exam.
I strongly urge you guys to study from day 1 and not slack like I did (I only started studying 3 weeks before the prelim :/), I would not recommend taking this subject just to fill up a slot - it's a lot of work so you have to be somewhat passionate about maths, a lot of really smart people in my year didn't pass the prelim - just because you got an A for higher does not mean getting an A in Adv maths is a given. WERK. WERK. WERK.

Besides that I thoroughly enjoyed the integration and differentiation parts of the course, you'll probably start out on binomials theorom/partial fractions - really get to grips with this, it'll be a doddle in the final exam!

Hope yall enjoy the course, DLBmaths is going to be your bud throughout the coourse. :smile:

Thanks, looking forward to studying AH maths this year. I agree DLB maths is a lifesaver sooooo helpful at higher. More people should watch.
Original post by cat7
Thanks, looking forward to studying AH maths this year. I agree DLB maths is a lifesaver sooooo helpful at higher. More people should watch.

Just looked that up! It's so useful!

I picked this book up recently, I think it might be good little cross reference for using the Maths in Acion book;

https://global.oup.com/academic/product/limits-limits-everywhere-9780199640089?cc=gb&lang=en&

Anyone got any other book suggestions?
I just got the Brightred book and it's more of a "How to Pass" kind of thing as it's really quite weak in examples.

Is the Maths in Action any better?
Reply 25
Original post by NetherLewis
I just got the Brightred book and it's more of a "How to Pass" kind of thing as it's really quite weak in examples.

We used the Maths in Action books this year and they were great for exam type questions. The marking scheme was sometimes a bit sketchy but the questions were usually alright. In terms of practice papers the Hodder Gibson one were all pretty decent with good marking schemes.

I think it's considerably better. My tutor (I'm self teaching with a little help as I left school many years ago) says that the brightred book is more of a revision text. The maths in action one has a lot of very good worked examples and then test questions too.
Hello!

I'm studying for the 2018 AH Math exam as an independent student, eek.

I studied most of the course back in 2012, however I left school because I was unwell so I couldn't sit the exam. Praying I remember some bits and pieces!

Studying AH Math and Physics with the aim of getting in to uni next year.

Good luck everyone!
Original post by DonAchille
I think it's considerably better. My tutor (I'm self teaching with a little help as I left school many years ago) says that the brightred book is more of a revision text. The maths in action one has a lot of very good worked examples and then test questions too.

Original post by ferm4t
We used the Maths in Action books this year and they were great for exam type questions. The marking scheme was sometimes a bit sketchy but the questions were usually alright. In terms of practice papers the Hodder Gibson one were all pretty decent with good marking schemes.

I just returned my brightred book and I'm thinking about getting the Maths in Action one, but I don't know whether to get the individual books or the second edition that's a single book. Here's a link to the one I think it is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0198364210/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1
I just returned my brightred book and I'm thinking about getting the Maths in Action one, but I don't know whether to get the individual books or the second edition that's a single book. Here's a link to the one I think it is:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0198364210/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&psc=1

I would really recommend the Maths in Action one you linked to. Quite pricey but it has loads of practise questions and good clear worked examples. In terms of both layout and content it is far superior to the BrightRed book.
Original post by maturepanic
I would really recommend the Maths in Action one you linked to. Quite pricey but it has loads of practise questions and good clear worked examples. In terms of both layout and content it is far superior to the BrightRed book.

I second that! Its an excellent book, and although its pricey its probably everything you need.

Thats the one I have.
1.jpg

anyone know what i am doing wrong?
Reply 34
Original post by NGEO
1.jpg

I think you can just take the log(base 2) of 3 rather than put it into the format with the 8? Not too sure though.
Original post by NGEO
1.jpg

In general it is not true that if loga=logb+logc\log a = \log b + \log c, then a=b+ca = b + c. So going from your second line to your third line is wrong.

Instead use the rule logb+logc=log(bc)\log b + \log c = \log \left(bc\right) so the third line should be log2(2x+1)=log2(8x2)\log_2\left(2x + 1\right) = \log_2 \left(8x^2\right)
Hi! pls help

If you have 5 different coloured balls. How many different ways can you arrange them in a set of 4.

What is the general equation for these types of question. (like (n!/x!))
Original post by NGEO
Hi! pls help

If you have 5 different coloured balls. How many different ways can you arrange them in a set of 4.

What is the general equation for these types of question. (like (n!/x!))

For that I'm sure it's n choose r: n!r!(nr)!\frac{n!}{r!(n-r)!}

Spoiler

How's everyone getting on with maths? What parts of the course have you found easiest or most difficult?
Original post by Labrador99
How's everyone getting on with maths? What parts of the course have you found easiest or most difficult?

Matrices need to be abolished immediately

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending