The Student Room Group

Missed Oxford Law offer, got in by skin of teeth. Poor A-Level/Law Career hopes over.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by AK120
Hi there,

I too missed my offer by 2 UMS points in one and 5 in the other (ABB) and was rejected... I've been told that I can write a letter to ask for an appeal and was wondering what LNAT you had that they let you in anyway? I have quite a high one of 27 and wondering if I have any chance in hell of getting it...

Hey there.

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it in. What are your plans for the coming year then?

I managed to get 36/42
Reply 81
Original post by Imnewatthis!
I too underperformed at A level and was lucky that my university was able to see past this. I was predicted AAA and I got ABB and it was a horrible horrible shock. However, I still managed to graduate from a top uni with a first - my a levels just motivated me to work harder.

More to the point - I did January retakes for my two Bs alongside studying for my uni exams. I had a couple of tutor sessions over skype and carefully selected which papers to re-take. Like you, I was very close to As anyway. I did well and now I don't even think about A levels.

I've applied to a lot of law firms and had a lot of interviews. Nowhere have I seen anyone mention that you need As on first sitting. I'm always very upfront about my grades but it really has not been a problem.

You'll be fine.

Hi there, just saw ure post as I was mourning over my a level result which I fear would be ABB as well- experienced depression during exam period- and I would just like to know how u turned things around. Wat grades did u manage to get after resitting? Did those grades affect u getting called for interviews? Wat firms did u get interviwed for and which r u currently employed at?

I apologise for bombarding u with so many questions, but I'm really filled with dread at this moment. :frown:
Reply 82
Original post by Michael345
Hey there.

Sorry to hear that you didn't make it in. What are your plans for the coming year then?

I managed to get 36/42

Did any of your remarks go up then?
There might be some firms which discriminate based on A-Levels, however if you are headed for a good 2.1 at Oxford you will be absolutely fine. If needs be you can always call or email the HR departments directly, I guarantee they will be interested in you.

The A-Level requirement is specifically designed to screen out applicants who didn't got to a Top 'X' university and narrow the candidate pool down to a manageable level. If you have a 2.1 from Oxford this process would not apply to you.
Original post by legal_beagle
There might be some firms which discriminate based on A-Levels, however if you are headed for a good 2.1 at Oxford you will be absolutely fine. If needs be you can always call or email the HR departments directly, I guarantee they will be interested in you.

The A-Level requirement is specifically designed to screen out applicants who didn't got to a Top 'X' university and narrow the candidate pool down to a manageable level. If you have a 2.1 from Oxford this process would not apply to you.

Yes it does. Believe me.
Original post by Michael345
Hey all.

First and foremost, I would just to like to stress that this post should not be misconstrued due to the sensitive timing of it. Basically, this morning like many other students I logged onto UCAS Track and saw 'Congratulations your place at X uni has been confirmed'... My firm choice was Oxford, so I was extremely happy and assumed that I had got at least AAA or higher. So, I was feeling very chilled when I got my results. Famous last words. I was met with ABB?! Thought it was a cruel joke

I was horrified. I was sure that Oxford must have made a mistake in accepting me and kept waiting for an email from UCAS to inform me that the track update was a mistake, but they hadn't. I could only assume that it was down to my LNAT score, my mitigating circumstances which I had informed them of prior to results day or the fact that I had missed the 2 As by a matter of 1 and 3 UMS. The 2Bs are being remarked but not optimistic. I don't think that I really should be going to Oxford if I'm honest. I would be embarrassed to tell anyone at my college that I got ABB, quite possibly would have the lowest grades at the college. Just feel like I'd be punching above my weight on a course with some people who have A*A*A*A*,but that is obviously a different discussion. I question whether I'm even capable of a 2.1.. With ABB, I could quite easily be going to Oxford brookes an ex poly instead, so I feel a urge to tell people I'm not smart when they congratulate me for getting a place. I think I could have lived with AAB, but ABB is just not the sort of grades that I'd be getting.

To make this relevant to the legal forum, I had wanted to be a solicitor at a city firm, but almost all of the top 40 firms ask for AAB which I clearly don't have. I just feel like I'm doomed before I've started the degree, as I will be binned from the word go. I will obviously go ahead with the degree but I'd like to set my aspirations from now, since with the aforementioned grades, I accept that one of the more highly sought after firms will be beyond my grasp. I don't think I can imagine myself anywhere but London, are places like Pinsent Masons still a possibility?, all other things being good.

Thanks for any advice.

I totally get where you are coming from with your fear of not feeling quite good enough when you are *sure* everyone else did much better or that they are going to find out about your ABB. That said, your A Levels are truly not a marker of how you will perform at University. Some people rise to the challenge and some do not and yes, while A Levels obviously indicate academic ability to some extent, they are indicative of your achievements at a certain point in your life - which as you have said you have mitigating circumstances for - and so, I wouldn't and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

I too was expecting better A Levels. I was on track for A*AA and then bombed in my finals and ended up with BBB. I was, like you, devastated, and, like you, had mitigating circumstances, but I still got into my first choice University and went on to secure a strong First. I actually have friends who got AAA for A Levels... A*A*A at A Level and even A*A*A*A*, but most of them went on to get a 2:1. I find life balances out and that because I didn't do as well as I wanted in my A Levels, I worked harder over my three years at University and had the drive and determination to do so.

Firms will take this into consideration. I have spoken to many firms now and when I explain directly to HR about my A Levels and then round it off with 'oh but I do have a First Class degree' and tell them all my modules grades and how they were all firsts, they tell me to apply and that they want people who are hard working, different and driven. Do your research, apply smartly and you might actually surprise yourself with what you come up with when TC applications come around :smile:

Ultimately, you are going to Oxford! As everyone else has said this a fabulous achievement and you should be proud. Go in there and prove to yourself you deserve to be there, don't opt out before its even begun!
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 86
Original post by pb010612
I totally get where you are coming from with your fear of not feeling quite good enough when you are *sure* everyone else did much better or that they are going to find out about your ABB. That said, your A Levels are truly not a marker of how you will perform at University. Some people rise to the challenge and some do not and yes, while A Levels obviously indicate academic ability to some extent, they are indicative of your achievements at a certain point in your life - which as you have said you have mitigating circumstances for - and so, I wouldn't and you shouldn't be so hard on yourself.

I too was expecting better A Levels. I was on track for A*AA and then bombed in my finals and ended up with BBB. I was, like you, devastated, and, like you, had mitigating circumstances, but I still got into my first choice University and went on to secure a strong First. I actually have friends who got AAA for A Levels... A*A*A at A Level and even A*A*A*A*, but most of them went on to get a 2:1. I find life balances out and that because I didn't do as well as I wanted in my A Levels, I worked harder over my three years at University and had the drive and determination to do so.

Firms will take this into consideration. I have spoken to many firms now and when I explain directly to HR about my A Levels and then round it off with 'oh but I do have a First Class degree' and tell them all my modules grades and how they were all firsts, they tell me to apply and that they want people who are hard working, different and driven. Do your research, apply smartly and you might actually surprise yourself with what you come up with when TC applications come around :smile:

Ultimately, you are going to Oxford! As everyone else has said this a fabulous achievement and you should be proud. Go in there and prove to yourself you deserve to be there, don't opt out before its even begun!

If you don't mind me asking, what was your first choice uni that you got into? and why do you think they let you in? i'm very nervous for results. I got BBBC last year so trying to call unis as to whether they'll consider me in advance..
Original post by Kitkat5
If you don't mind me asking, what was your first choice uni that you got into? and why do you think they let you in? i'm very nervous for results. I got BBBC last year so trying to call unis as to whether they'll consider me in advance..

I applied to Goldsmiths. The grades I needed were AAB and I still got in which was crazy. They didn't even know about my mitigating circumstances at the time and I actually had to defer for a year because of my circumstances and they were still fine. Ultimately if they want you they want you and if you are prepared to show how hard you can and will work then you have a chance. No it wasn't Oxford or a Russel group but the type of critical theory and learning they do at at Goldsmiths is world renowned and extremely hard so truly anything is possible if you have motivation and put in all the hours necessary. :smile:
Well done on achieving those grades. Oxford have still accepted you. Your career hopes are not over.

Quick Reply

Latest