The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Claire_williams
I received my offer today :biggrin: Any news regarding the scholarships? I have a feeling we won't find out until Friday.

Congrats on your offer too! Please Let me know if you receive any updates on your scholarship application!
Original post by BBMedstudent1993
Congratulations on the scholarship! That's really amazing!

You don't mind putting up your education/UKCAT stats for us do you?

Thank you.
I mentioned in previous post that I did UKCAT 2016 and gotten 2090.
Original post by Hazydazy
Thank you.
I mentioned in previous post that I did UKCAT 2016 and gotten 2090.

Oh I didn't see that! I meant degree classification/A levels just to give a suggestion of the scholarship selection process :smile:
Oh I didn't see that! I meant degree classification/A levels just to give a suggestion of the scholarship selection process :smile:

I am an undergraduate so I have only A level and the minimum entry grade for this programme is AAA
Reply 64
Congrats on your offer too! Please Let me know if you receive any updates on your scholarship application!

Thank you!

I think I am going to accept my offer and withdraw it if I don't get the scholarship. The deposit gets refunded if you withdraw within 14 days and I don't see another way around it!
Reply 65
I've just come off the phone to the admissions team and the first round of scholarships have been sent out already. The second round of scholarships aren't going to be sent out until the 25th August!!!
I've just come off the phone to the admissions team and the first round of scholarships have been sent out already. The second round of scholarships aren't going to be sent out until the 25th August!!!

25th August !!

Btw is that within the 14 day withdrawal period that you mentioned? It's the 14th day since accepting? or the 15th?

They are really pushing it!
Original post by maoamsweets
25th August !!

Btw is that within the 14 day withdrawal period that you mentioned? It's the 14th day since accepting? or the 15th?

Hi! Are you waiting for scholarship news too?
Reply 68
25th August !!

Awful isn't it. The last interview is the 23rd August so the second round of scholarships aren't being sent out until the 25th. The manager told me he would make an exception if we didn't receive scholarship information within the 14 day time frame.

Have you accepted your offer? Does your acceptance depend on the scholarship too?
Original post by Hazydazy
Hi! Are you waiting for scholarship news too?

Hi Yes I am!

Awful isn't it. The last interview is the 23rd August so the second round of scholarships aren't being sent out until the 25th. The manager told me he would make an exception if we didn't receive scholarship information within the 14 day time frame.

Have you accepted your offer? Does your acceptance depend on the scholarship too?

Oh, do you mean if they take longer than 14 days, we will get longer to withdraw our acceptance and get a refund?

Yes I've accepted but I'm hoping to get a scholarship..

Do you know whether they gave out all the scholarships and the second round is just the scholarships people rejected from first round?
Original post by SquareEyes1000
Well I shan't be accepting my offer and I'm going to do a Masters course this year before GEM in 2018 I think.

Hi! Did you reject your offer? Did you get a scholarship and reject that? I'm hoping there's some scholarships left...
From what they said it in their email it was another scholarship with a different funding but I think its the same funding.

Its funny that the deadline for the program was 31st of May but they opened the late applications after this deadline and on the tube in London today I saw an advert for the course in the papers STILL for September 2017 entry. This throws their whole '11 of August deposit hard-deadline' out the window.

I don't understand why they are still looking for more students, or maybe they are using the prospects of the scholarships to lure more applicants (maybe someone can explain the whole logic to me.

I have accepted my offer but I have another from a UK based institution (the private University of Buckingham) which is looking much better for me as an international student.

(THIS INFORMATION BELOW IS MOSTLY TARGETED FOR OTHER INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS LIKE ME WHO WOULD WANT TO PRACTICE IN THE UK POST DEGREE).

I think it's worth mentioning that I had a phone call with the GMC about the degree and the contingencies that QMUL has in place and apparently the degree is not a UK degree as although its affiliated with QMUL London its still in Europe. The prospects of getting F1 places in the UK already difficult, would be much harder and also contingent on you obtaining the right to work. With an increase in the number of applicants to available placements, the GMC said they will place an emphasis on students who have the right to work in the UK which I took meant UK or maybe even EU (depending on Brexit). Also, with the degree not being in the UK, and with Brexit, there MIGHT be the introduction of an exam for EU educated students to allow them access to practice medicine in the UK (as is the case for non-EU international doctors).

In summary, with the scholarship and even the name QMUL on your degree certificate make sure you are fully informed before deciding on QMUL Malta or taking a year out or selecting another institution. Medicine is medicine no matter what university you go to.
From what they said it in their email it was another scholarship with a different funding but I think its the same funding.

Its funny that the deadline for the program was 31st of May but they opened the late applications after this deadline and on the tube in London today I saw an advert for the course in the papers STILL for September 2017 entry. This throws their whole '11 of August deposit hard-deadline' out the window.

I don't understand why they are still looking for more students, or maybe they are using the prospects of the scholarships to lure more applicants (maybe someone can explain the whole logic to me.

I have accepted my offer but I have another from a UK based institution (the private University of Buckingham) which is looking much better for me as an international student.

(THIS INFORMATION BELOW IS MOSTLY TARGETED FOR OTHER INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS LIKE ME WHO WOULD WANT TO PRACTICE IN THE UK POST DEGREE).

I think it's worth mentioning that I had a phone call with the GMC about the degree and the contingencies that QMUL has in place and apparently the degree is not a UK degree as although its affiliated with QMUL London its still in Europe. The prospects of getting F1 places in the UK already difficult, would be much harder and also contingent on you obtaining the right to work. With an increase in the number of applicants to available placements, the GMC said they will place an emphasis on students who have the right to work in the UK which I took meant UK or maybe even EU (depending on Brexit). Also, with the degree not being in the UK, and with Brexit, there MIGHT be the introduction of an exam for EU educated students to allow them access to practice medicine in the UK (as is the case for non-EU international doctors).

In summary, with the scholarship and even the name QMUL on your degree certificate make sure you are fully informed before deciding on QMUL Malta or taking a year out or selecting another institution. Medicine is medicine no matter what university you go to.

I feel many applicants will end up withdrawing due to being given hectic deadlines, little information and having scholarships withheld!

I saw that they have a hotline for the 17th August for A-level students that get better results than expected... if they are still keeping scholarships back for those late applicants I feel it is disrespectful to us...we have to pay a huge deposit to hold on to find out if we will be awarded anything... because extremely late applicants get the privilege of late acceptance, late scholarships, late deposit payment. We're losing out by applying early and having to pay deposits now!
I feel many applicants will end up withdrawing due to being given hectic deadlines, little information and having scholarships withheld!

I saw that they have a hotline for the 17th August for A-level students that get better results than expected... if they are still keeping scholarships back for those late applicants I feel it is disrespectful to us...we have to pay a huge deposit to hold on to find out if we will be awarded anything... because extremely late applicants get the privilege of late acceptance, late scholarships, late deposit payment. We're losing out by applying early and having to pay deposits now!

Pretty much! I don't understand their end game or plan..seems like its all up in the air with them
Reply 74
Hi Yes I am!

Oh, do you mean if they take longer than 14 days, we will get longer to withdraw our acceptance and get a refund?

Yes I've accepted but I'm hoping to get a scholarship..

Do you know whether they gave out all the scholarships and the second round is just the scholarships people rejected from first round?

Both £9250 and £19,000 scholarships are still available. The scholarships are sent out in two batches (completely at random). The first round of scholarships have already been sent out which means we are still being considered for the second round. I think the second round of scholarships considers the late applicants too which isn't fair at all.
Hey Congratulations on your offer. It is a bit of a debate really whether to go or not..

The person I spoke to told me we had to pay by Friday and the offer letter said so.

I'm still waiting on the scholarship information

same here unfortunately. are u local? British Passport
Original post by check123
same here unfortunately. are u local? British Passport

I've been in London for the past six years but I'm international.

I'm guessing you're British?
FYI
Q. What will the degree certificate have written on it? This is important for my home country acceptance.

A: The exact wording on the MBBS Malta degree certificate is: Queen Mary University of London - Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery - Barts and The London School of Medicine and Dentistry The degree certificate will not feature the word ‘Malta’. If you ask for a detailed ‘transcript’ it will say “Location of study: Malta”. However, transcripts are rarely asked for regarding medical degrees. A transcript is used for degrees such as “Biology” where the content of the courses in the subject varies between universities some Biology degrees may have a lot of botany, others may have a lot of ecology. Medicine courses do not vary, so a transcript is rarely asked for.
Reply 78
Got the scholarship! :biggrin:
Reply 79
Got the scholarship! :biggrin:

Congratulations, that's amazing! How much will you be paying?

Latest

Trending

Trending