The Student Room Group

new gcses 2018

i am entering year 11 this september and i am the "guinea pig" for the new gcses. does anyone know any new specs or information wewill need? (maths-edexcel, english-edexcel,science-aqa
Reply 1
I'm going into year 11 in September too. I have been using the new spec CGP revision guides for information that is new to the 9-1 spec. You can also view the new specification on the exam board's websites.

Good luck for year 11 :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by sbakers
i am entering year 11 this september and i am the "guinea pig" for the new gcses. does anyone know any new specs or information wewill need? (maths-edexcel, english-edexcel,science-aqa

You're not really the guinea pigs anymore - that was last years Year 11 :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Notnek

Yeah we were the guinea pigs for English and maths 😂
Reply 4
Year 11s 2017-18 are the first people doing the new exam specs in subjects other than maths and English, although I imagine it was worse for year 11s 2016-17 as there were no boundaries for a grade 4/5 pass yet.
Original post by Notnek

Year 11 were the guinea pigs for Maths/English however our year will be the first to sit all the other new specs e.g. science, computer, french, etc. In a sense we aren't as we will know what a 'new spec' looks like in terms of boundaries, etc.
Reply 6
English didn't change that much, the only thing different about English is that the exams were closed book now meaning you can't take your book in the exam hall and you also had to memorize ALL the poems, Maths however changed a lot, there is way more content than before and exams questions are now structured differently since now 50% of the paper are A-A* questions, you are not the guinea pigs for Maths and English but you are guinea pigs for other subjects:smile: I know it sucks and the grade boundaries will be higher as well next year! But what can I say, all I can say is have fun year 11s of 2018!
Reply 7
Original post by The RAR
English didn't change that much, the only thing different about English is that the exams were closed book now meaning you can't take your book in the exam hall and you also had to memorize ALL the poems, Maths however changed a lot, there is way more content than before and exams questions are now structured differently since now 50% of the paper are A-A* questions, you are not the guinea pigs for Maths English but you are guinea pigs for other subjects:smile: I know it sucks and the grade boundaries will be higher as well next year! But what can I say, all I can say is have fun year 11s of 2018!

Thanks lol :smile:
Good luck for results day if you are a year 11 of 2017.
Reply 8
Original post by The RAR
English didn't change that much, the only thing different about English is that the exams were closed book now meaning you can't take your book in the exam hall and you also had to memorize ALL the poems, Maths however changed a lot, there is way more content than before and exams questions are now structured differently since now 50% of the paper are A-A* questions, you are not the guinea pigs for Maths and English but you are guinea pigs for other subjects:smile: I know it sucks and the grade boundaries will be higher as well next year! But what can I say, all I can say is have fun year 11s of 2018!

Haha yeah have fun !!
Reply 9
Original post by Loci Pi
Year 11s 2017-18 are the first people doing the new exam specs in subjects other than maths and English, although I imagine it was worse for year 11s 2016-17 as there were no boundaries for a grade 4/5 pass yet.

I think 4s like a low pass and 5s a good one

Quick Reply

Latest