The Student Room Group

Learning about Islam

Welcome to the Learning About Islam thread

This is a place for everyone to learn about the Islamic religion, in a safe and supportive environment.

If you follow the Islamic faith, feel free to head over to the TSR Islamic Society to chat with like-minded people.

If you would like to discuss or debate the religion of Islam (or any faith), please visit the Religion forum in the Debate and Current Affairs section.
Please note that sadly, due to the constant derailment of this thread, we will now be considering members for temporary or permanent bans from the Faith and Spirituality forum

Debate of any kind is not permitted in this thread, or anywhere in the Faith and Spirituality forum.
Posts to that effect in this thread will be removed and warned. This rule pertains to ALL users of this thread.

When posting in this thread, please ensure you are upholding the TSR Community Guidelines, and treating others with respect at all times.

When posting in this thread, please observe the following Q&A format:

If you'd like to ask a question about the faith, title your post with 'Question' clearly at the top.

If you're answering a question, title your post with 'Answer' clear at the top + quote in the post you're addressing.

If you're following up on an existing question or answer, title your post with 'Follow up' clearly at the top.

This format will help ensure your question gets a response, and it's easier to keep track of various conversations taking place. :h:

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What's the difference between this thread and the Ask About thread?
How can you possibly learn about a religion without debating it?
Original post by Quantex

learning is when u have questions or curious about a religion and want them answered debating is when u most likely disagree with most of the religion already and want to debate to prove ur argument
^ learning is getting knowledge of something
debating is basically an argument in a formal manner
Original post by elforjg02
Oh i would LOVE to answer questions a polite person has for me about my religion.:h: I don't think someone who is sane would press the report button against a polite person who is just curious about the religion babe.:smile:

I don't understand why some muslims don't follow the religion in its entirety ? Like why don't you go stoning gay people or people or comment adultery and kill them like it states in the Quran? If you don't believe it's the right thing to do would that make you a Muslim still?
What does Islam say about lesbianism, I ask because generally my understanding is that it is sodomy that carries a punishment?

(edited 6 years ago)
I'm from a Shia country (not really a Muslim myself, but just understand that kind of Islam), and so I'm very acquainted with the Shia side of life. I assume, that the majority of Muslims here are likely Sunni, so my question is, what can be done to heal the Shia/Sunni schism, and is it ever possible to heal the divide? I never really knew about any other sects of Islam despite Shia so I'm quite ignorant as to Sunni, Wahabi, Baha'i, etc.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by AryanGh

I'm from a Shia country (not really a Muslim myself, but just understand that kind of Islam), and so I'm very acquainted with the Shia side of life. I assume, that the majority of Muslims here are likely Sunni, so my question is, what can be done to heal the Shia/Sunni schism, and is it ever possible to heal the divide? I never really knew about any other sects of Islam despite Shia so I'm quite ignorant as to Sunni, Wahabi, Baha'i, etc.

simple. Respect each other no matter what they believe in and live in harmony as both are worshiping the one God. The prophet him self lived in peace with the jews keeping a treaty between them in order to live in harmony so i don't know why shiah and sunni cant live in peace either.:s-smilie:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Quantex

You are allowed to debate about Islam:

Go to, Debate & Current Affairs > Religion, then make your thread. Easy.
So how do you seperate "true" muslims and the ones who supposedly misinterpret the quran? What if you are actually interpreting it wrong yourself?
And who are you to decide? :smile:

Also please explain the whole shia and sunni divide :h: aswell as the discrimination against shias and vice versa.
Whats with all the hate and bias?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Meany Pie
Since this thread is already going off topic I have a question.

What does Islam say about lesbianism, I ask because generally my understanding is that it is sodomy that carries a punishment?

Since lesbianism is technically not "zina", there's no mandated (hadd) punishment for it as far as I know. The punishment is up to the discretion of the judge (qadi) in Sunni Islam. I'm not sure about the other sects.
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Since lesbianism is technically not "zina", there's no mandated (hadd) punishment for it as far as I know. The punishment is up to the discretion of the judge (qadi) in Sunni Islam. I'm not sure about the other sects.

So essentially it is fine according to the Quran and any supplementary decisions on it would realistically not be Islamic.
Original post by elforjg02
are they practicing it in the right way? I don't think so boo :h: Because if they were then I'm sure the billions of peaceful Muslims out there would do the same shi*t they do right?

Who are you to say that they are not Muslims? Surely "Allah" is the only entity that can judge whether a Muslim is a "true" Muslim. No-one is claiming that they are in any way representative of the Muslim population. Said assumption is a rather common strawman.
So essentially it is fine according to the Quran and any supplementary decisions on it would realistically not be Islamic.

Well that depends on the sect. Quranists tend to be less legalistic due to their reliance on the Qur'an as the only source of Islamic law, whereas Sunni Islam accepts extra-quranic sources.
Well that depends on the sect. Quranists tend to be less legalistic due to their reliance on the Qur'an as the only source of Islamic law, whereas Sunni Islam accepts extra-quranic sources.

Are you aware of any hadiths pertaining to lesbianism?
Why does Islam not see Jesus as God? As in what are the reasons behind it? And are prophets better than normal humans
Are you aware of any hadiths pertaining to lesbianism?

Yes, I've seen some shia hadiths condemning lesbianism.
Yes, I've seen some shia hadiths condemning lesbianism.

Could you possibly provide a link?
Since Muslims see Jesus as a prophet and not God does that mean that they consider him equal to Muhammad? Or do they consider Muhammad as being more important and a better person

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending