The Student Room Group

Funding after a part-complete degree in another area?

Hi there

I am an ex-student, I was at University in Reading, but now am in full time employment at living wage. I am 23 years old, and I am now looking into nursing as a degree.

I went through 1.5 years at my previous university, before having to leave in 2015 for reasons including bullying and ill mental health. Now I am wanting to return to education as a mental health nurse, already being in the healthcare profession.

I would like to know how I would go about applying for funding and if I would be eligible for student loans? I went on the gov.uk website and found this below;
-----------
You’ve studied before

You’ll usually get student finance only if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded.

However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

[*]you change course
[*]you leave your course but decide to start again
[*]you’re ‘topping up’ a higher education qualification, for example you’ve finished an HNC, HND or Foundation Degree and now want to do an Honours degree
[*]you hold an Honours degree or higher level of qualification and start a part-time Honours degree in engineering, technology or computer science (or a joint Honours in 2 of these subjects)
[*]you already have a degree and you’re starting a healthcare course (except for dental hygiene or dental therapy) on or after 1 August 2017

-----------
However I spoke with someone who knows a lot about places in nursing etc and works to help find placements for people in Sussex, and they were unaware of any way to get a second degree funded. They suggested perhaps it would not count as I hadn't completed a first degree?

Please can you help!?
Reply 1
Sorry not sure why it wont format the copied part of the text properly. The [*] parts are all bullet points.
Original post by MxKaiMoore
Hi there

I am an ex-student, I was at University in Reading, but now am in full time employment at living wage. I am 23 years old, and I am now looking into nursing as a degree.

I went through 1.5 years at my previous university, before having to leave in 2015 for reasons including bullying and ill mental health. Now I am wanting to return to education as a mental health nurse, already being in the healthcare profession.

I would like to know how I would go about applying for funding and if I would be eligible for student loans? I went on the gov.uk website and found this below;
-----------
You’ve studied before

You’ll usually get student finance only if you’re doing your first higher education qualification - even if your previous course was self-funded.

However, you may still get limited funding if, for example:

[*]you change course
[*]
[*]
[*]
[*]

-----------
However I spoke with someone who knows a lot about places in nursing etc and works to help find placements for people in Sussex, and they were unaware of any way to get a second degree funded. They suggested perhaps it would not count as I hadn't completed a first degree?

Please can you help!?

Hi MxKaiMoore,

Normally Student Finance England will not fund a second degree unless it is is an exception course. You will be pleased to know that nursing falls into this category. Courses designated as NHS courses will remain as exception courses. This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by Rona SFE
Hi MxKaiMoore,

Normally Student Finance England will not fund a second degree unless it is is an exception course. You will be pleased to know that nursing falls into this category. Courses designated as NHS courses will remain as exception courses. This means students who already hold a degree or previous study can still access the full package of funding, this includes full means tested support and a tuition fee loan.

Thanks

Thank you so much for this. Really helpful.

I was wondering actually if you could help as well with information about funding for access courses? Not sure if it is a thing I can get funding for or not. Or any help around it?

Thank you!
Original post by MxKaiMoore
Thank you so much for this. Really helpful.

I was wondering actually if you could help as well with information about funding for access courses? Not sure if it is a thing I can get funding for or not. Or any help around it?

Thank you!

Hi MxKaiMoore,

You can apply for an Advanced Learner Loan to cover the costs of the tuition fees for Access to HE courses.

There is more information available here.

Thanks,
Stuart
Reply 5
You can get funding for (most of) a second degree, I think (I don't know the situation with nursing, but assuming it's the same as other courses). You can get the length of your course plus an extra year of funding, so you can get a full course minus one year funded if you left Reading in second year. However, if you left because of mental illness and you would be able to provide evidence of that, you can get that year of funding back too and get your whole course funded, due to Compelling Personal Reasons (CPR) which made you leave the course. If you can't prove that, you would still have enough years to have funding for every year except the first year of the course though. I hope that helps...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending