The Student Room Group
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website

What is it like studying American Studies and History at the Univeristy of Derby?

I am interested in doing a Joint Honours in American Studies and History and wanted to know people's honest opinion on it from those who do it.
Hi Gracieee123I am going into my second year of Joint Honours American Studies and History in September so would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the course. I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year and am excited to start my second year modules. Is there any particular areas that interest you within History or Am.Studies? Within my first year in Am.Studies I have studied American History under the module of Freedoms Conflicts. This was an amazingly informative and varied course and some of the course content fed into my History modules too. One of the things I have really enjoyed about studying Am.Studies is that it isn't all based around only American history, it is a multi-disciplinary course so covers aspects of American culture, politics and identity. This approach makes the course really interesting and the lecturers themselves are knowledgable, fun and friendly and willing to go beyond to help and guide you. The History lecturers are also an incredible teaching team and really help you through the year. The modules are interesting and the course is started with a module called Methods and Sources, which is based on helping you start to think like a Historian would when looking at sources and artefacts. This really helps you to get to grips with theory of the subject of History and changes the way you look at things. In all honesty, I would recommend the course to anybody who has an interest in the two subjects. The Lecturers are really great and the passion they show for their subjects means that, if you are willing, it is easy to get involved and really enjoy the lectures. if you have any more questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them.Carly
Students relaxing
University of Derby
Derby
Visit website
My friend did this degree. Got her nowhere. Literally. She works in health and social care now.
Original post by J.leestudy
My friend did this degree. Got her nowhere. Literally. She works in health and social care now.

What University did she study it at?
Reply 4
Original post by Carlycoleman1989
Hi Gracieee123I am going into my second year of Joint Honours American Studies and History in September so would be happy to answer any questions you may have about the course. I have thoroughly enjoyed my first year and am excited to start my second year modules. Is there any particular areas that interest you within History or Am.Studies? Within my first year in Am.Studies I have studied American History under the module of Freedoms Conflicts. This was an amazingly informative and varied course and some of the course content fed into my History modules too. One of the things I have really enjoyed about studying Am.Studies is that it isn't all based around only American history, it is a multi-disciplinary course so covers aspects of American culture, politics and identity. This approach makes the course really interesting and the lecturers themselves are knowledgable, fun and friendly and willing to go beyond to help and guide you. The History lecturers are also an incredible teaching team and really help you through the year. The modules are interesting and the course is started with a module called Methods and Sources, which is based on helping you start to think like a Historian would when looking at sources and artefacts. This really helps you to get to grips with theory of the subject of History and changes the way you look at things. In all honesty, I would recommend the course to anybody who has an interest in the two subjects. The Lecturers are really great and the passion they show for their subjects means that, if you are willing, it is easy to get involved and really enjoy the lectures. if you have any more questions I would be more than happy to try and answer them.Carly

Hi, I am about to apply for it now. Could I ask what results you got in your a-levels?
Reply 5
Original post by lizziemaher
Hi, i'm about to start my third year this coming September in American Studies at Derby. The university is on the smaller side so generally classes are less populated. The course is multidisciplinary and so the content is very varied, some of the modules i have studied range from music to foreign policy. I have also found that when it comes to assignments, i have generally been able to pick something to write about which fits in with my interests. Tutors are friendly and helpful, and hard work gets recognised. From a personal perspective i definitely chose the right course and the right university. I love the subject area and i also enjoy doing the majority of the reading and research. The university itself has a new sporting facility and the library is huge with lots of material. Let me know if you have any further questions. Hope this helps. :smile:

Hi, thank you for the reply. Would it be ok for me to ask what results you got in your a-levels?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending