The Student Room Group

Humans always have to worship something or someone

It seems most people worship something or someone, and humans have done it since the beginning of time. It must be programmed into us.

Deities
Royalty
Celebrities
TV shows and franchises
Football teams
Etc.

For me "worship" means a sort of over-enthusiastic, obsessive love of something or someone, and that person or thing is put on a metaphoric pedestal.
Reply 1
Original post by Iridocyclitis
It seems most people worship something or someone, and humans have done it since the beginning of time. It must be programmed into us.

Deities
Royalty
Celebrities
TV shows and franchises
Football teams
Etc.

For me "worship" means a sort of over-enthusiastic, obsessive love of something or someone, and that person or thing is put on a metaphoric pedestal.

I thought that as well.
You used the phrase always have to and then the phrase most, which disproves the former.

No they dont have to worship and of those examples then I certainly dont worship any of those.
I've got a theory that its the less intelligent people in a society that will ultimately bow down and have to worship something. This is why the vast majority of atheists are more intelligent.
Original post by Charliewiz
I've got a theory that its the less intelligent people in a society that will ultimately bow down and have to worship something. This is why the vast majority of atheists are more intelligent.

And I believe that theories such as yours cause many people to proclaim that they are atheists as a result of the "emperor's new clothes" effect (which is obviously not an indicator of intelligence).
Original post by tazarooni89
And I believe that theories such as yours cause many people to proclaim that they are atheists as a result of the "emperor's new clothes" effect (which is obviously not an indicator of intelligence).

The reason that people are atheists is that they look at the evidence and conclude that there is ZERO in favour for the existance of god. Looking at the evidence is related to higher intelligence.
I understand why; it's something to aim at, an example to follow which is achievable. I believe that the purpose of religion is to guide us, something to fall back on to make a decision for us if we're not sure. It's nice to feel like someone else is controlling your life instead of you so you feel less pressurised.

I might point out that I am not religious and am not obsessed with any celebrities/TV shows etc. I can admire people for their achievements, but my "following" stops about there.
The reason that people are atheists is that they look at the evidence and conclude that there is ZERO in favour for the existance of god. Looking at the evidence is related to higher intelligence.

In theory, perhaps.

In practice, humans like to think they are a lot more intelligent, rational, reasonable, evidence-seeking etc. than they actually are. Logical fallacies and biases are rampant everywhere.

On an issue as debatable as the existence of a deity, where there are people undoubtedly much more intelligent than us who believe different things to us, rarely will it ever be true when someone says "I believe X simply because the evidence points that way". If that were the case then the issue would be far less disputed.
Why don't we all come to a compromise and just worship each other.
Reply 9

You might want to take a look at economic history or shamans such as Draghi and central bankers who claim to know what the effects of QE will be in years.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending