The Student Room Group

Advice for getting into Cambridge (Computer Science)

Does anyone have any advice for getting into Cambridge and Imperial College for computer science?? (I'm in S5, Scotland)
Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by AZ_1234
Does anyone have any advice for getting into Cambridge and Imperial College for computer science?? (I'm in S5, Scotland)
Thanks

Be on target to meet the stated entry requirements. Maths being the most important factor.

I understand Imperial often gives STEP based offers for CS. Cambridge only does that if you want to study the /with Maths option, but still maths is very important.

Have a look at the CSAT.
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
Be on target to meet the stated entry requirements. Maths being the most important factor.

I understand Imperial often gives STEP based offers for CS. Cambridge only does that if you want to study the /with Maths option, but still maths is very important.

Have a look at the CSAT.
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/admissions-test/

Posted from TSR Mobile

What about Physics vs the newly reformed AQA Computer Science?
Reply 3
Maths and physics at a level is a must to go into those unis. I would also do tons of extra curricular, go to a decent school, be a model student, getting involved in their activities and show you're extremely passionate about the course. Don't forget to also get a*s and as.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ImprobableCacti
What about Physics vs the newly reformed AQA Computer Science?

Which do you think you will get a better mark in? Physics is useful (and *slightly* preferred to CS A-level), but only if you do well in it.

Always check entry requirements. And look at specific colleges - they can vary slightly.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science#entry-requirements
Which do you think you will get a better mark in? Physics is useful (and *slightly* preferred to CS A-level), but only if you do well in it.

Always check entry requirements. And look at specific colleges - they can vary slightly.

http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/computer-science#entry-requirements

Thanks, I am probably going to keep all 4 (CS, Phys, Maths & F.Maths) and drop my EPQ, I will probably do equally as well in Physics and CS at A2 (predicted A*s). I'm just worried that my AS grade/ UMS will be lower in Physics due to me being under the impression that I would have to drop a subject at A2 (this is no longer the case).
Reply 6
Thanks, I am probably going to keep all 4 (CS, Phys, Maths & F.Maths) and drop my EPQ, I will probably do equally as well in Physics and CS at A2 (predicted A*s). I'm just worried that my AS grade/ UMS will be lower in Physics due to me being under the impression that I would have to drop a subject at A2 (this is no longer the case).

Are you sure you have UMS in your Physics? Which exam board?
(edited 6 years ago)
Do you have UMS in your Physics? Which exam board?

I don't have it yet and I am assuming we get it on results day (it's reformed - I don't know if we still get UMS), my exam board is OCR Physics A.
Reply 8
I don't have it yet and I am assuming we get it on results day (it's reformed - I don't know if we still get UMS), my exam board is OCR Physics A.

Reformed subjects (e.g. OCR Physics) don't have UMS :smile: (but they do have raw marks, which aren't the same and aren't comparable.)
Reformed subjects (e.g. OCR Physics) don't have UMS :smile: (but they do have raw marks, which aren't the same and aren't comparable.)

So does that mean that they won't be taken into account in my application? Just the grade? (hoping to still get an A in AS Physics)
Reply 10
So does that mean that they won't be taken into account in my application? Just the grade? (hoping to still get an A in AS Physics)

Cambridge doesn't collect raw marks (unlike UMS). Although some colleges might request it seperately.

It's not an issue eitherway. It's just one part of your application, along with the interview, CSAT, etc, etc.
Cambridge doesn't collect raw marks (unlike UMS). Although some colleges might request it seperately.

It's not an issue eitherway. It's just one part of your application, along with the interview, CSAT, etc, etc.

Thank you for the advice :smile:
Does anyone know how to calculate UMS for Scottish exams, or does it only work with English exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by STEMasterRace
Does anyone know how to calculate UMS for Scottish exams, or does it only work with English exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

UMS isn't a thing for Highers. Why do you ask?
UMS isn't a thing for Highers. Why do you ask?

I was just wondering as there always seems to be a lot of talk about UMS in relation to Oxbridge (Cambridge especially). So would it be appropriate to make a comparison between UMS and percentages at higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
I was just wondering as there always seems to be a lot of talk about UMS in relation to Oxbridge (Cambridge especially). So would it be appropriate to make a comparison between UMS and percentages at higher?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No. Because Cambridge doesn't collect or use percentages for Highers (or IB for that matter).
No. Because Cambridge doesn't collect or use percentages for Highers (or IB for that matter).

Do you reckon a B in a non relavant subject will affect my chances of getting in? (With A's in the rest of the subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Do you reckon a B in a non relavant subject will affect my chances of getting in? (With A's in the rest of the subjects)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I thought you were somewhere studying Economics and Maths already?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4748866

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought you were somewhere studying Economics and Maths already?
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4748866

Posted from TSR Mobile

The pinnacle of trolling

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending