The Student Room Group

Please help do I have a shot at UCL or KCL law?

I am an international student. I just got my AS and A level grades today.
I got 2 A and 1 B in physics, economics and business at AS level(physics and econ are both above 90)
And an A star in A level math
My predictions are three A star and one A.
I am very anxious because I got a B in business.
Do I still have a shot at UCL or KCL law? Or maybe even Cambridge( I do realize the odds are pretty slim now)?
Please help thank you very much
Reply 1
KCL, Cambridge, and UCL are all very tough schools (Cambridge's admission is similar to Oxford law, which was not one of the programs you listed.) In addition to your grades, your personal statement and/or recommendations will be factors, as well as your extra curricular activities, so there are many other factors in your assessment, but certainly, your grades are good and put you in range for admission at KCL or UCL, but those are tough programs in terms of admission, you might get into one, both or none-but I would expect (and hope for you) at least one. Cambridge could be a possible one, too, but then, folks with all A's across the board might apply for Cambridge and Oxford, and be denied at one or both. The good thing is that in applying to several programs, your chances increase of admission into at least one. (Please focus on why you want a career in law and what the program you are applying to will be able to uniquely offer to you in seeking that particular career path in your personal statement)Best wishes to you.

Original post by Eve151609
I am an international student. I just got my AS and A level grades today.
I got 2 A and 1 B in physics, economics and business at AS level(physics and econ are both above 90)
And an A star in A level math
My predictions are three A star and one A.
I am very anxious because I got a B in business.
Do I still have a shot at UCL or KCL law? Or maybe even Cambridge( I do realize the odds are pretty slim now)?
Please help thank you very much
Reply 2
Thank you so much for your help. I was very anxious since I was not anticipating a b and was not sure how much will the grade affect my application. So should I mainly focus my personal statement on the career path that I want?
Original post by luq_ali
KCL, Cambridge, and UCL are all very tough schools (Cambridge's admission is similar to Oxford law, which was not one of the programs you listed.) In addition to your grades, your personal statement and/or recommendations will be factors, as well as your extra curricular activities, so there are many other factors in your assessment, but certainly, your grades are good and put you in range for admission at KCL or UCL, but those are tough programs in terms of admission, you might get into one, both or none-but I would expect (and hope for you) at least one. Cambridge could be a possible one, too, but then, folks with all A's across the board might apply for Cambridge and Oxford, and be denied at one or both. The good thing is that in applying to several programs, your chances increase of admission into at least one. (Please focus on why you want a career in law and what the program you are applying to will be able to uniquely offer to you in seeking that particular career path in your personal statement)Best wishes to you.
Reply 3
My suggestion would be to make your personal statement about you, your interests, which include your career path. Show some insight specific to the programs you are applying to, and by that, if KCL has some research center you are interested in, or a human rights clinic-just for example, tie that into your interests so that it is clear that you are a fit for the institution, as well as you bringing something to the program as well.

Thank you so much for your help. I was very anxious since I was not anticipating a b and was not sure how much will the grade affect my application. So should I mainly focus my personal statement on the career path that I want?

The answer to your original question is yes. One B at AS does not reduce your chances of admission to any of those universities.

Your personal statement should focus on your academic interest in law. It's worth mentioning briefly any career plans you have, but admission tutors are principally interested in why you want to study law, not why or how you intend to practice law. They will want to know what aspects of your current studies you've particularly enjoyed and what you have done outside of the classroom to extend your knowledge of law (e.g. lectures you've attended or watched, books you've read and, crucially, what you thought about them). I suggest you read these articles for a more thorough guide:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/law/writing-a-personal-statement-for-law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statement-faqs
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/writing-your-personal-statement
Reply 5
Thank you so much
Original post by Snufkin
The answer to your original question is yes. One B at AS does not reduce your chances of admission to any of those universities.

Your personal statement should focus on your academic interest in law. It's worth mentioning briefly any career plans you have, but admission tutors are principally interested in why you want to study law, not why or how you intend to practice law. They will want to know what aspects of your current studies you've particularly enjoyed and what you have done outside of the classroom to extend your knowledge of law (e.g. lectures you've attended or watched, books you've read and, crucially, what you thought about them). I suggest you read these articles for a more thorough guide:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/law/writing-a-personal-statement-for-law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/personal-statement-faqs
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/personal-statements/writing-your-personal-statement
Reply 6
Alright I will work on that. Thank you so much for your help

Original post by luq_ali
My suggestion would be to make your personal statement about you, your interests, which include your career path. Show some insight specific to the programs you are applying to, and by that, if KCL has some research center you are interested in, or a human rights clinic-just for example, tie that into your interests so that it is clear that you are a fit for the institution, as well as you bringing something to the program as well.

Quick Reply

Latest