The Student Room Group

New poll shows 68% of British people want hard Brexit

https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/remain-and-leave-voters-are-surprisingly-united-on-backing?utm_term=.raXZPYVORO#.fb5gwG0ZYZ

68% preferred a hard Brexit to a soft one and 67% preferred 'no deal' to a soft Brexit.

Also more than 30% of remain voters and more than 40% of leave voters want all EU migrants living in the UK to leave the country

Poll carried out by LSE/Oxford on 20000 people in the UK
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
New poll shows everyone's stopped giving a s***
Interesting that it's such a high proportion of people
Reply 3
What is the difference between a hard Brexit and a soft Brexit?
Original post by Ladbants
https://www.buzzfeed.com/jamesball/remain-and-leave-voters-are-surprisingly-united-on-backing?utm_term=.raXZPYVORO#.fb5gwG0ZYZ

68% preferred a hard Brexit to a soft one and 67% preferred 'no deal' to a soft Brexit.

Poll carried out by LSE/Oxford on 20000 people in the UK

No such thing as a "hard" or "soft" Brexit. If we leave, but remain in the European single market and continue to have our laws decided and interpreted by courts in Brussels, then we are doing the citizens of the United Kingdom a disservice.

The referendum was framed as an "in" or "out" decision and we voted to leave; so we are going to leave. No soft Brexit, no "medium"-Brexit, no any kind of Brexit that the remain side seem to propose to keep their finger tips inside the EU.
They have good taste.

The sooner this European Union garbage collapses the better.

Free and independent nations must roam.
Reply 6
The sooner we leave the EU, the sooner we will be safe from the mass 3rd world migration that the EU is forcing on its member states.
Preferring a hard brexit to a soft brexit is not the same thing as wanting a hard brexit.
Original post by 1aal1
The sooner we leave the EU, the sooner we will be safe from the mass 3rd world migration that the EU is forcing on its member states.

Not really.

A hard brexit means that border security at Calais will most probably become more relaxed, meaning migrants will find it much easier to hop in the back of trucks and cross the channel. This was one of the points 'remain' made in the referendum.
Original post by stoltguyboo
They have good taste.

The sooner this European Union garbage collapses the better.

Free and independent nations must roam.

Gay Swede is anti globalist, who'd have thought:wink:
By the way, the Calais border issue is moot because once the UK can control its borders, Folkestone will become a new wall of fire, and when there's enough commitment to brexit there will be border security as tight as the rest of other decent nation states :tongue:
Also there's another fallacy to the remain camps argument - they warned about economic collapse so wouldn't that actually make migrants not so determined to cross the channel?
(edited 6 years ago)
"want all EU migrants living in the UK to leave the country"

Lmao well they can take that wish and shove it where the sun don't shine because that is never going to happen and it never continues to surprise me how brain-dead these people must be to not realise the economic benefit surrounding EU migrants; especially those working in sectors like nursing.

Also some of these questions seem very leading and flat-out stupid, like if you're going to ask people 'what should we pay for a divorce bill' clearly the majority are going to pick the lowest amount - aka nothing. And of course people will want it to happen sooner rather than later. Some of those questions should honestly be non-questions as they're not showing anything remotely surprised, and I'm shocked that LSE & Oxford Uni would even ask questions so mind-numbingly stupid as that.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by SCIENCE :D
Not really.

A hard brexit means that border security at Calais will most probably become more relaxed, meaning migrants will find it much easier to hop in the back of trucks and cross the channel. This was one of the points 'remain' made in the referendum.

We can still have our own border control there.

What about the tens of thousands of African migrants getting into Italy by the boatload? Italy actually just said they're ready to send 200,000 African migrants up to North Europe.

Or what about the 1 million Muslim migrants that got into Germany, Sweden, France etc.. last year due to our current leader Merkel?

If the EU stays running, it is going to become African & Muslim majority within this millennium. We don't want to be part of that.

We are finally about to be free from the migrant chaos that has been going on.
(edited 6 years ago)
Migration of people across borders is a symptom of the movement of capital across borders. If you have an issue with migration, you have an issue with transnational capital.

This renders the traditional left/right spectrum essentially obsolete and points to the fundamental incompatibility of meaningful democracy and global capitalism. Brexit is an (albeit extremely crude) expression of this disjuncture.
Reply 13
Original post by Asolare
that is never going to happen and it never

That's what people said about Brexit happening, or about Trump becoming president. When a society is pushed to its limits pretty much anything can happen.
I'm fine with either outcome when the referendum happened, it doesn't really affect me, but from an outsider's perspective:

UK is like Schrodingers Cat right now with the cherry picking of EU member privileges

It's both in and out of the EU at the same time!

All jokes aside, I would've assumed when you guys over at the UK left the EU, you'd fully leave. You can't expect the privileges of being an EU member whilst at the same time not actually be an EU member.

If you wanted the EU Single Market (not quite sure what that is, my European knowledge is rusty) so bad, you should've evaluated why you chose to leave in the first place, go hard or go home.

Also I would assume that you'd be working on a British Human Rights Charter also?
Original post by 1aal1
We can still have our own border control there.

What about the tens of thousands of African migrants getting into Italy by the boatload? Italy actually just said they're ready to send 200,000 African migrants up to North Europe.

Or what about the 1 million Muslim migrants that got into Germany, Sweden, France etc.. last year due to our current leader Merkel?

If the EU stays running, it is going to become African & Muslim majority within this millennium. We don't want to be part of that.

We are finally about to be free from the migrant chaos that has been going on.

The EU has been completely dysfunctional over the migrant crisis. I don't blame Italy for forcing refugees Northwards. They have been threatened with sanctions if they close their ports, yet countries such as Poland and Hungary are not taking any refugees.
More should be done in stopping the mass miration at it's root, through foreign aid or whatever.
Reply 16
That's hilarious. People just want to send the ship straight into an iceberg. :rofl:
Original post by SCIENCE :D
The EU has been completely dysfunctional over the migrant crisis. I don't blame Italy for forcing refugees Northwards. They have been threatened with sanctions if they close their ports, yet countries such as Poland and Hungary are not taking any refugees.
More should be done in stopping the mass miration at it's root, through foreign aid or whatever.

Should be called an invasion instead of mass migration, this has been going on for a very long time and WAY too many migrants who are not refugees are coming to Europe for free handouts just like invaders invading a country for its loot(Free handouts), and what do they do when the authorities refuse to let them in? They FORCE themselves into the country just like invaders forcing themselves into a city.
Note: I am not discriminating or being racist, I am just giving my opinions on their behaviour which is not related to their race, nationality or ethnicity.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by 1aal1
That's what people said about Brexit happening, or about Trump becoming president. When a society is pushed to its limits pretty much anything can happen.

Those involved voting from members of the public which resulted in a decision. Parliament is not stupid enough to forcibly emigrate every EU migrant in the country, because even the Conservatives deep down realise the economic benefit of having them here. Trying to compare 'forcing millions and millions of people to leave the country' is nowhere near on the same spectrum as 'a country voting to decide on its next leader'.

The instant the UK ever attempted to forcibly immigrate all those people would be the moment when almost every country in Europe turns its back on us and refuses to do trade. It will never, ever happen. Even Farage the nutcase didn't want them all deported.
I'll have to read into this more but the reason for most articles contradicting each other is simply that they ask a different questions.

For example more people want single market membership than to end free movement.. but only ~30% would be willing to pay a double digit divorce bill.. but despite wanting single market membership, more people have immigration as a number 1 priority. This is why people say they support a soft Brexit but cheered the May speech in January. They want to eat cake.

Fundamentally i believe polling in the days after the referendum when the decision was still in the mind. Leave voters said two things..

50% said they voted for sovereignty - this means leaving the ECJ and ergo single market
30% said they voted to end free movement - this again means leaving the single market

One can argue about the customs union (free trade is more important for a Tory Brexit than Brexit per say) but i think there's good support for a hard Brexit.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending