The Student Room Group

AEA Preparation Thread 30 June 2017

Scroll to see replies

Original post by K-Man_PhysCheM
Hey, I'm in a similar position to you in that I sat AEA this year in Y12 and will be applying to Cambridge (for physical Natsci) next year. As far as I'm aware, there is no obligation to declare AEA, so if you don't get the grade you're aiming for, you don't have to state it.

If you're applying for maths at Cambridge, getting a merit might not be the best, however it's not the end of your application. Cambridge say that they understand that even the best students can have a bad day, and so long as your AS maths/FM has high UMS and you perform well at interview, I would suspect that you would still stand a good chance (then you just have to do well at STEP, which is a completely different beast). Of course, others may be better suited to answer the question, but that's my interpretation from the research I've done.

Good luck! :smile:

Ah I see! I'm applying for Economics in Cambridge next year. Do you think a Merit on the AEA, seeing that I've took it early (I did not do C3/4) would help me in the applications process? Just curious as I believe I scored on the borderline ish for a distinction. (Prediction: 70-80/100)
Original post by theeconomistkid
Ah I see! I'm applying for Economics in Cambridge next year. Do you think a Merit on the AEA, seeing that I've took it early (I did not do C3/4) would help me in the applications process? Just curious as I believe I scored on the borderline ish for a distinction. (Prediction: 70-80/100)

Well, merit in the AEA before doing C3/C4 is pretty impressive, and it shows you've taken the initiative and gone beyond what you've done in class, so I suppose it would be something to put on your application.

That being said, I too am just a prospective Cambridge applicant (for natsci) and I do not know much at all about the economics course, so what I'm saying are just guesses really. But again, I see no reason why a good score in the AEA would disadvantage your economics application, and if anything it may help it slightly, so long as you also do well at AS-level, any admissions tests and interview.
Well, merit in the AEA before doing C3/C4 is pretty impressive, and it shows you've taken the initiative and gone beyond what you've done in class, so I suppose it would be something to put on your application.

That being said, I too am just a prospective Cambridge applicant (for natsci) and I do not know much at all about the economics course, so what I'm saying are just guesses really. But again, I see no reason why a good score in the AEA would disadvantage your economics application, and if anything it may help it slightly, so long as you also do well at AS-level, any admissions tests and interview.

I will be applying for maths and took c3/4 this year so unfortunately these said benefits are negligible. Can i put the mark on the SAQ as if it is close to the distinction boundary this should lessen the impact. Guess i just gotta hope now that my results are good enough, but boy am I going to go insane over this week until results day, just knowing that i may be screwed over by something that I thought would help me.
Original post by tomahawker314
I will be applying for maths and took c3/4 this year so unfortunately these said benefits are negligible. Can i put the mark on the SAQ as if it is close to the distinction boundary this should lessen the impact. Guess i just gotta hope now that my results are good enough, but boy am I going to go insane over this week until results day, just knowing that i may be screwed over by something that I thought would help me.

Well, as I said in my reply to you (the post you've quoted was a reply to someone else I believe), Cambridge say they know that even the best students can have a bad day, so I wouldn't worry so much about missing out on Distinction in the AEA.

Moreover, as far as I'm aware there is no obligation to declare the AEA*, so if you really feel like merit would harm your application (which it won't), then just don't declare that you've done it. But again, admissions tutors look at your application as a whole, so high AS Maths/FM UMS and a good interview will stand you in good stead to receive an offer. Furthermore, there are plenty of other good universities out there, especially for Maths, so don't feel like Cambridge is the be-all-end-all.

Good luck! :smile:

EDIT: *It turns out that UCAS policy is that candidates must declare all qualifications, even those that are failed or pending, so this is not an option. In other words, AEA MUST be declared.
(edited 6 years ago)
Moreover, as far as I'm aware there is no obligation to declare the AEA, so if you really feel like merit would harm your application (which it won't), then just don't declare that you've done it. But again, admissions tutors look at your application as a whole, so high AS Maths/FM UMS and a good interview will stand you in good stead to receive an offer. Furthermore, there are plenty of other good universities out there, especially for Maths, so don't feel like Cambridge is the be-all-end-all.

AEA is a qualification and so it does need to be declared. However I agree that a Merit a year early (it's still early even if you did C3/C4) is hardly going to put one at a disadvantage!
Original post by Forecast
AEA is a qualification and so it does need to be declared. However I agree that a Merit a year early (it's still early even if you did C3/C4) is hardly going to put one at a disadvantage!

My school said that you can pretend AEA never happened if you do badly, but I guess that must be if you fail, because then you don't actually have the qualification at all? Thanks for clearing this up.
My school said that you can pretend AEA never happened if you do badly, but I guess that must be if you fail, because then you don't actually have the qualification at all? Thanks for clearing this up.

You need to declare all qualifications you have entered, including ones with an unsuccessful grade. UCAS' policy on this is here: https://www.ucas.com/corporate/about-us/privacy-policies-and-declarations/ucas-declaration
Original post by Forecast

This is true, if you pass the AEA you get a certificate and some UCAS points. Not sure what the policy is on declaring STEP. I assume there's an option to declare it if you want (Other? STEP section?).

I will say it's disappointing they don't issue certificates (and UCAS points) for STEP, especially given the big entry fee and difficulty level.

You can 'make your own' certificate though by printing the STEP statement of results on a nice glossy piece of paper/card. :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Anyone know when the grade boundaries are released? Or where to find them when they are released? I feel like they won't be on the same document as the A Level ones that's all
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Anyone know when the grade boundaries are released? Or where to find them when they are released? I feel like they won't be on the same document as the A Level ones that's all

Same time as A-Level boundaries, think that's results day this year, not day/night before. Should be Edexcel GCE boundaries doc, I've already called 82-84 :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Physics Enemy
Same time as A-Level boundaries, think that's results day this year, not day/night before. Should be on Edexcel GCE boundaries doc, I've already called 82-84 :tongue:

Okay thank you :smile: I'm annoyed they're coming out on the day rather than the day before this year 😩 hope it's not 82😂😂

Not sure if you get my point RE c). It was very ambiguous/confusing as you can just calc arc PQ directly. Angle 60°, sides 2 cm, area known - easy. Drawing a circle inside a hex was pointless & weird.

How did you justify that an arc of a circle centre L was the shortest "line or curve"?

I will say it's disappointing they don't issue UCAS points for STEP, especially given the big entry fee and difficulty level.

The way that I've always looked at this is that universities who care about STEP results don't care about UCAS points.
Original post by tiny hobbit
How did you justify that an arc of a circle centre L was the shortest "line or curve"?

They told you shortest length to enclose an area is a circle's perimeter. For a proportion of that area (1/6th), it's a circular arc (1/6th circle's perimeter).

RE STEP, I mentioned UCAS points secondly, the lack of certificate is worse. Of course doing AEA for a few UCAS points would be silly, but it's a nice gesture.
(edited 6 years ago)
to be honest at the unis where step and aea are relevant, what even is a ucas point? I agree that a certificate would be nice though, at least you have something to show your friends how you performed at some obscure test 99% of the population has never heard of :biggrin:
Original post by LaurenLovesMaths
Okay thank you :smile: I'm annoyed they're coming out on the day rather than the day before this year 😩 hope it's not 82 😂😂

Did you really say you hope it's not 82? Really?!
It's ... 82! :biggrin: :wink: And 65 for Merit lol.

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/Advanced-Extension-Award/1706-aea-grade-boundaries-v1.pdf

I did say 82-84 :tongue: Credit to Slice of Pi for his 81 estimate. Average of our estimates is 82.

Best of luck to all of you today :smile:
(edited 6 years ago)

http://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/Support/Grade-boundaries/Advanced-Extension-Award/1706-aea-grade-boundaries-v1.pdf

I did say 82-84 :tongue: Credit to Slice of Pi for his 81 estimate. Average of our estimates is 82.

The more I think about it, the more I worry I made mistakes on the graph sketch etc... I felt really good coming out of the exam though, hopefully I make the grade

Best of luck to all of you today :smile:

Goddamn it😂😂 good luck to you too!!
I GOT A MERIT THANK GOD!!!!! IM SO HAPPY BECAUSE I SELF TAUGHT MYSELF C3 and C4 in YEAR 12 SO I AM OFFICIALLY SHOOK
Well done A Slice of pi exactly bang on with distinction mark unfortunately... Well I got a merit then I think. So thats sad, was hoping for distinction as UCL would make me an AA offer with my A* in maths having seen the boundaries for that too when I apply there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending