The Student Room Group

LNAT 2017 Results

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jmaesen
Hi ! I got an offer for Law/Politics with an LNAT score of 22 !

where from?
Reply 541
Original post by chicken777
where from?

I was replying to someone's comment :wink: it's from Glasgow
Got 30 on the LNAT and offers from KCL, UCL and Durham but was rejected from LSE because of personal statement and was rejected after interview for Oxford. Already got my grades as I'm on a gap year so I guess my personal statement must have really let me down!
Original post by hillarykeyamo99
Hello everyone!

Those who sat the LNAT on or before the 20th January should be receiving their results soon. Pearson actually said "early February" though no specific dates have been given, so that could be very soon indeed.

I thought I would start a thread for those to share their scores so we can get an idea of the standard for this year's entry. In the mean time, feel free to discuss anything to do with your experience taking the test, and uni choices etc while we wait.

Good luck all!

Edit: There has been a recent update. Pearson has now said the results will be given out by the 17th February, although no reason has been given as to why as of yet.

I have a few questions to ask:

1. What is the best method to use in order to revise effectively for this test?

2. How difficult would you rate it 1-10. 10 being the hardest?

3. How well do you need to do in order to get accepted?

4. Does it matter if you don't quite pass but you have good AS/A level grades?
Original post by Abdulrazig

hey! i realize this wasnt intended for me but im going to give you my opinion anyway haha. I personally didnt revise much, i did the two practice tests that were available online and that is it. i know some people bought a book but loads of people said it didnt help anyway! As for the difficulty, for me I'd say its relatively difficult if you aren't good at interpreting texts. its a long test, a lot of reading and its computerized which is what i personally battled with. How well you need to do depends on the university. some uni's will be stricter and apparently won't accept people with lower than, lets say, 20/42 (depending on the years average.) Other unis are more lenient so it depends on how much weighting they give to it. Uni's like UCL, Kings, Bristol etc are stricter with it. As for the last question, it again depends on the uni. the only LNAT uni i personally applied to was Bristol. i got 17/42 (awful i know) which was below the average. my grades were AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predicted yet i was still rejected. so i guess it depends on how much lower than the average you get, the uni and other factors of your application!
xx

I'll chip in with my wisdom (haha) also.

1. I just went through the two practice tests available from the LNAT website. I thought about getting a book, but people say they don't help and the LNAT website itself says to be wary of people offering coaching/advice etc, as they're often just diluted versions of the real thing. The idea is that the test can't be taught (at least, not completely). I still managed 29 with just using those practice tests.

2. Hard to say, as some questions are easier than others. The ones where it asks you to identify the significance of two things (e.g. italics and brackets) was what I found difficult, as they difference between the answer choices were small.

3. As niccidacosta said, it depends on the uni. As a rough guide, you want to get at least over average (21 was average this year) and anything 30+ is really exceptional.

4. Most unis will look at all your data when deciding on whether to give you a place and so good AS/A Level grades could be enough to compensate, but also people do get rejected due to a poor LNAT performance, so it's best do try and get as many marks as you can!

I would suggest focusing on the essay part of the test. This is something that can be more or less learned and mastered in advance. You are time pressured under the exam conditions and if you can't logically express your thoughts under these circumstances, you might as well find yourself not being able to finish this part in time.

When it comes to the MCQ part, the standard rules apply. If you were not "given", you can improve your score by a margin of 3-4 by practicing but you will probably never score in the region of 30+. On the contrary, people who were given the ability to read & analyze quickly will very likely score in the highest percentiles without practicing at all.
Original post by niccidacosta
hey! i realize this wasnt intended for me but im going to give you my opinion anyway haha. I personally didnt revise much, i did the two practice tests that were available online and that is it. i know some people bought a book but loads of people said it didnt help anyway! As for the difficulty, for me I'd say its relatively difficult if you aren't good at interpreting texts. its a long test, a lot of reading and its computerized which is what i personally battled with. How well you need to do depends on the university. some uni's will be stricter and apparently won't accept people with lower than, lets say, 20/42 (depending on the years average.) Other unis are more lenient so it depends on how much weighting they give to it. Uni's like UCL, Kings, Bristol etc are stricter with it. As for the last question, it again depends on the uni. the only LNAT uni i personally applied to was Bristol. i got 17/42 (awful i know) which was below the average. my grades were AAAA at AS and A*A*A* predicted yet i was still rejected. so i guess it depends on how much lower than the average you get, the uni and other factors of your application!
xx

Thanks! By the way what A levels did you take?
Thanks! By the way what A levels did you take?

at AS i did History, English, Psychology and Business studies. Doing the same this year but dropped History x
I didn't prepare at all. I did the practice examen a day before and i thought i sucked hard at it. Im just that lazy guy who never practice but while doing the practice i realised there is no way to prepare for the questions so i just did the examen and got 24 out of 42.
Guess got lucky but my essay was really bad lol
Still got into uni
Am I the only one out there thinking it's bloody cheeky of the system to be set up in such a way that we apply without knowing our LNAT score??! Talk about leaving people no options...
Original post by tomd'aquinas
Am I the only one out there thinking it's bloody cheeky of the system to be set up in such a way that we apply without knowing our LNAT score??! Talk about leaving people no options...

Well generally you will only take the LNAT if you are then going to be applying to an LNAT university, not the other way around. There are so few unis that use it that it would be folly to sit it before knowing which unis you wanted to apply to. I admit it is annoying that we cannot see our score when we would be able to, since the computer scores it there and then, but it doesn't affect people's options.
Original post by santaman234
Got 30 on the LNAT and offers from KCL, UCL and Durham but was rejected from LSE because of personal statement and was rejected after interview for Oxford. Already got my grades as I'm on a gap year so I guess my personal statement must have really let me down!

Do you know why you were rejected for Oxford?
Original post by The Antagonist
I didn't prepare at all. I did the practice examen a day before and i thought i sucked hard at it. Im just that lazy guy who never practice but while doing the practice i realised there is no way to prepare for the questions so i just did the examen and got 24 out of 42.
Guess got lucky but my essay was really bad lol
Still got into uni

where did you get to??
durham university
I got rejected from UCL because of my LNAT apparently! Sad times ...
Original post by alersg24

Ah so sorry to hear this! Hopefully you'll get (have already gotten) offers from other universities! Can I ask when you sat the LNAT and when you submitted?
Original post by alersg24

My son got rejected from UCL due to his LNAT......they said. Much to his amazement, months later, he discovered he got 31. How can that be?? Thankfully he's at LSE, his first choice. 😊
Original post by new1234
Ah so sorry to hear this! Hopefully, you'll get (have already gotten) offers from other universities! Can I ask when you sat the LNAT and when you submitted?

I sat the LNAT at the end of October and submitted my application a few days earlier.
Yeah, I have got three offers which is great! Still waiting for Nottingham though.
Original post by Cholesta
My son got rejected from UCL due to his LNAT......they said. Much to his amazement, months later, he discovered he got 31. How can that be?? Thankfully he's at LSE, his first choice. 😊

That's so weird. My LNAT was probably not great though because I am Spanish and my English could have been an issue in the writing bit. Congratulations, you should be very proud!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending