The Student Room Group

Why do blacks dominate in Athletics?

Was watching the IAAF and I quite enjoy seeing countries compete as I'm a big fan but anyways, most sports (marathon, 100m, 400m, NFL, basketball, boxing, bodybuilding) produces big athletes like Niekirk, Bolt, Holyfield, Mike Tyson who are black. So why do they dominate?

Scroll to see replies

Why do you have to use the term "blacks." It's ugly (as is whites and jews). Can't you say "black people."
Reply 2
Original post by jinzy
Probably because slavery killed if those with weaker Genes. Unfortunately, it may be less to do with race and more to do with Genetics

fixed a couple 'o typos for ya.

Your argument is logical, from a historical perspective, but what about Africans whose ancestors were never enslaved? Mo Farah was born in Somalia, for example.
As a black person, from my experience, I was second-best overall in my year for athletics, after a half-Jamaican girl.

On our basketball team (boys'), our best Player is White and second best is Pakistani. From my experience, asian girls tended to do worst. Is this also genetics?

But honestly, @jinzy''s argument is fairly decent
Original post by jinzy
Probably because slavery killed if those with weaker jeans. Unfortunately it may be less todo with race and more to do with eugenics.

'weaker jeans' :rofl:

Did they rip or something, and they they had to retire from the race?
Reply 5
Original post by jinzy
Probably because slavery killed if those with weaker jeans. Unfortunately it may be less todo with race and more to do with eugenics.

So you created a new account to troll lol wtf
Marathon champions all seem to come from Uganda and Kenya, two countries with the ideal environment for marathon training. As for the sprinters, apparently the Wikipedia entry for sprint records explains why the record holders are of west African descent.
More fast twitch muscle fibres
Reply 8
Actually I did mean eugenics- slavery led to Fredrick Osbourne's theory of positive eugenics - the act of breeding individuals with desirable traits to create a "stronger" gene pool to occurs. This is the same theory the Nazis used in combination with fascism. The swedes also used "negative" eugenics till the 1970s were they'd sterilise disabled people to prevent there genes entering the gene pool. This is of course immoral and horrible but there is logic too it and it does explain why a race of humans could dominate a sport. It is also not as horrible as my other spelling mistake 😉
Original post by Mathslegend101

That's biologically racist

^^
Reply 11
Pretty sure you didn't need to be anon to ask this.

Not for aerobic sports
Reply 13
Original post by Dwarf-Shortage
That's biologically racist

It's not racist it's a fact. Historical events and natural conditions have led to people from certain parts of the world being naturally stronger and faster then others. That's not racist it's true. It's also not racist to use the terms black and white. I know we live in a pc world but cone on people racism is the discrimination of a group of people based on their ethnicity, and has the implication of inferiority due to ethnicity. Saying some people are naturally fast because of genes isn't either of those things, neither is stating the colour of there skin. If anything saying the words black and white are ugly carries more racist undertones then anything else in this feed.
Original post by jinzy
It's not racist it's a fact. Historical events and natural conditions have led to people from certain parts of the world being naturally stronger and faster then others. That's not racist it's true. It's also not racist to use the terms black and white. I know we live in a pc world but cone on people racism is the discrimination of a group of people based on their ethnicity, and has the implication of inferiority due to ethnicity. Saying some people are naturally fast because of genes isn't either of those things, neither is stating the colour of there skin. If anything saying the words black and white are ugly carries more racist undertones then anything else in this feed.

That's sexist
Reply 15
Original post by Dwarf-Shortage
That's sexist

It can't be I'm transgender
Original post by jinzy
It can't be I'm transgender

Oh **** sorry
Original post by jinzy

Can you hold up on that, there are plenty of black athletes that didn't go through slavery and are still talented.
Not trying to be funny but I don't see any black people asking why swimming is dominated by white people. Just saying
Reply 19
Original post by Boredom101
Can you hold up on that, there are plenty of black athletes that didn't go through slavery and are still talented.

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest