The Student Room Group

California Muslim forced to remove hijab awarded $85k settlement

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40905758

A Muslim woman who was forced to removed her hijab by Californian police has been awarded $85,000 (£65,000).

Kirsty Powell filed a lawsuit against Long Beach City Council after she was made to take off her headscarf following her arrest in 2015.

Ms Powell's repeated requests to be dealt with by a female officer were ignored, and she spent the night in custody without her headscarf. The department has since changed its policy on religious headwear.

Female officers are now required to remove headscarves, away from male officers and inmates, and only "when necessary for officer safety", Long Beach assistant city attorney Monte Machit told the Los Angeles Times.
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What a waste of money... The banning of them should become commonplace...
Original post by ᒍack

So you want to dictate what women are able to wear
But I thought you were against that
Original post by ᒍack

The police violated her religious freedoms, she was absolutely right to sue.
I don't see why wearing one is a problem?
Ridiculous - it's her own fault for getting herself arrested.

And what a surprise, it's cuckold California.
Original post by Dot.Cotton
Ridiculous - it's her own fault for getting herself arrested.

And what a surprise, it's cuckold California.

You're my favourite troll now.
The dedication,the staying in character 10/10
Have you ever considered a career in acting?
Great I've had so many people close to me complaining about everything they've all have been dealt with I think people should do what they want. Like myself. I don't like ********s.
Excellent, happy for her.
Reply 9
Lol there seems to be some jealously on this thread. You guys complaining isn't gonna take away her 65k

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by Command&Conquer
The police violated her religious freedoms, she was absolutely right to sue.

Agreed. I'd potentially question whether she suffered £65k's worth of damage, but it's always pretty tricky to put a price on these sorts of harm.
Good for her, why does a headscarf bother racists so much. Why don't people just concentrate on themselves and their own lives rather than getting offended and triggered by others beliefs and attire

If a girl is allowed to wear revealing clothes, why can't others be allowed to cover up and dress modestly if they want to
Original post by Ribbit1234
Good for her, why does a headscarf bother racists so much. Why don't people just concentrate on themselves and their own lives rather than getting offended and triggered by others beliefs and attire

If a girl is allowed to wear revealing clothes, why can't others be allowed to cover up and dress modestly if they want to

Exactly. People don't see the irony now in trying to forbid religious clothing. Let people wear what they want, if you're religious it's your job to avert your gaze if people are wearing revealing clothes.
What a joke, either conform to the laws of a country that grants you to stay with their privileges or leave
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 14
I think the officers who removed the hijab should've got the payout.
They're the ones who had to see her disgusting face & hair as one, that in itself must've been a horrific experience they will never recover from.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by ᒍack
I think the officers who removed the hijab should've got the payout, they had to see her disgusting hair and face as one, that in itself must've been a horrific scene.

I'm speechless at your ignorance. Not even a troll without morals would make such a comment.
Reply 16
Original post by Boredom101
I'm speechless at your ignorance. Not even a troll without morals would make such a comment.

Ooooo I went there.
Reply 17
Good. Expected the disgusting comments from Islamophobes on here though.
Original post by ᒍack
Ooooo I went there.

You didn't "go" anywhere except further into your own stupidity
Reply 19
Original post by h333
Good. Expected the disgusting comments from Islamophobes on here though.

Islamophobe?

Uhm excuse me? I'm being Islamophobic by saying she's disgusting? Typical... Thanks for getting offended :smile:

+I'd also like to add, in saying that you're basically asserting the Islamic women are ugly...
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending