The Student Room Group

Airport transfer

Hi there!
I need a little help here, I'll be studying at Exeter university Penryn campus and I'm supposed to travel the U.K. on the 15th of September. I'm new to the place and I'm afraid I don't how to get to penryn campus from Heathrow airport (terminal 4). I've already contacted some taxi firms but the pricing is really high! Therefore, I'll be really thankful if students who already study there would inform me how to reach penryn campus through buses or rail ways preferably. Thank you!
Reply 1
The taxi prices will be high as its like a 3+hour drive!!!

Your best bet is probably the train, you can use sites like thetrainline to to help you find routes. Trains run from Heathrow T5 to Exeter St Davids station with one change
Reply 2
Original post by stirkee
The taxi prices will be high as its like a 3+hour drive!!!

Your best bet is probably the train, you can use sites like thetrainline to to help you find routes. Trains run from Heathrow T5 to Exeter St Davids station with one change

Thanks for that! But I'm actually going to study at Exeter penryn campus not the main campus at Exeter.
Original post by AminaGH
Thanks for that! But I'm actually going to study at Exeter penryn campus not the main campus at Exeter.

That doesn't make any difference - @stirkee is right. Unless you want to shell out hundreds of pounds, get a train from the Terminal to Exeter, then get a cab from the station to the campus.
Reply 4
Original post by Reality Check
That doesn't make any difference - @stirkee is right. Unless you want to shell out hundreds of pounds, get a train from the Terminal to Exeter, then get a cab from the station to the campus.

Thanks for your that! Does taking a cab from Exeter to Penryn cost a lot?
Original post by AminaGH

I wouldn't have thought a huge amount - ring up a local taxi company in Exeter and ask them for a quote. You can find taxi companies which operate out of Exeter on the internet. Alternatively, depending on the location of the Penryn campus, you might find a station closer to it from which you could take a cab. But the main part of the journey - London to around Exeter, is best and most cheaply done by train.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Reality Check
I wouldn't have thought a huge amount - ring up a local taxi company in Exeter and ask them for a quote. You can find taxi companies which operate out of Exeter on the internet. Alternatively, depending on the location of the Penryn campus, you might find a station closer to it from which you could take a cab. But the main part of the journey - London to around Exeter, is best and most cheaply done by train.

Thanks a lot for that
Original post by AminaGH

Hii! I live in the South West, and you have a couple of options in terms of travelling from the major London airports to Devon & Cornwall
Number one is scouting out local transfer services - in Torbay there are a couple you can check out (google airport transfers Torbay, and a few will come up), usually they can do deals etc as they’re small companies. You could probably get a transfer from London to Exeter, or to Paignton, and get the train form there (If you go to the Great Western Railway website, you can find all sot of trains from Paignton or Exeter to Cornwall, they run regularly)

Another option is to get the train from London to Exeter, then Exeter to Cornwall, or get a transfer from Exeter to Cornwall (but that will probably also be expensive)

Another option is to look up airport transfers in Penryn/surrounding areas from London. It’ll be pricy but as someone who’s done both airport transfers and trains, it’s probably a better bet to go for a transfer if you can (like I said look up local transfer companies from the area as they’re likely to be slightly cheaper), because getting the train is stressful at the bets of times, let alone when you’re moving into uni

Is maybe shipping your stuff over before travelling also an option?
Original post by JessThomas6
Hii! I live in the South West, and you have a couple of options in terms of travelling from the major London airports to Devon & Cornwall
Number one is scouting out local transfer services - in Torbay there are a couple you can check out (google airport transfers Torbay, and a few will come up), usually they can do deals etc as they’re small companies. You could probably get a transfer from London to Exeter, or to Paignton, and get the train form there (If you go to the Great Western Railway website, you can find all sot of trains from Paignton or Exeter to Cornwall, they run regularly)

Another option is to get the train from London to Exeter, then Exeter to Cornwall, or get a transfer from Exeter to Cornwall (but that will probably also be expensive)

Another option is to look up airport transfers in Penryn/surrounding areas from London. It’ll be pricy but as someone who’s done both airport transfers and trains, it’s probably a better bet to go for a transfer if you can (like I said look up local transfer companies from the area as they’re likely to be slightly cheaper), because getting the train is stressful at the bets of times, let alone when you’re moving into uni

Is maybe shipping your stuff over before travelling also an option?

Great post - thanks :smile:
Reply 9
I've just done a quick search of the penryn campus- apologies, I didn't realise it was so far away from the main Exeter campus. However as said, the main idea of my post is still correct.

Also, on the Penryn Campus website it actually has instructions of how to get there...:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/visit/directions/cornwall/

Spoiler

Should have booked to Newquay airport via Gatwick
Reply 11
I live near Heathrow and I'm studying at Penryn too, you could get a cab to reading station then a train to Redruth, then a cab or bus to the campus, message me if you want more info!
Original post by AminaGH
Hi there!
I need a little help here, I'll be studying at Exeter university Penryn campus and I'm supposed to travel the U.K. on the 15th of September. I'm new to the place and I'm afraid I don't how to get to penryn campus from Heathrow airport (terminal 4). I've already contacted some taxi firms but the pricing is really high! Therefore, I'll be really thankful if students who already study there would inform me how to reach penryn campus through buses or rail ways preferably. Thank you!

Dear AminaGH
First of all I would suggest you look at this link http://www.exeter.ac.uk/internationalstudents/
And from there you will find information about our collection service at this link http://www.exeter.ac.uk/internationalstudents/newstudents/airportcollectionservice/
However, do be aware that as a result of the COVID-19 situation there is the possibility that things might change for this coming September in terms of what we offer.
The best thing you can do is keep an eye on these webpages and make sure you read every email you get from the University of Exeter (check spam/junk inbox regualrly) as these will give you the most accurate up to date information.
Thanks
Jo

Quick Reply

Latest