The Student Room Group

Teach First secondary offer when I want to do primary.

Hi,

I currently have two teaching offers. One is for a Primary PGCE at university, the other is a secondary subject with Teach First.

I want to teach primary and was planning on declining if Teach First didn't offer the subject, but they put me in touch with a Teach First ambassador who did secondary with Teach First and now teaches Primary, and are very happy they did it that way. It's kind of pushing me towards the secondary subject but I keep wondering if Teach First is worth committing two years to an age group I don't want to teach in the long run?

It is also annoying becuase I had a secondary pgce offer last year but declined because I knew it wasn't for me so I kind of feel like taking the Teach First offer would almost be a step backwards because I could have done secondary last year if I wanted to...

Any advice/ thoughts would be great. I've had my TF offer for 6 days and you need to complete some work within 10 days so I really need to decide soon!
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by znh
Hi,

I currently have two teaching offers. One is for a Primary PGCE at university, the other is a secondary subject with Teach First.

I want to teach primary and was planning on declining if Teach First didn't offer the subject, but they put me in touch with a Teach First ambassador who did secondary with Teach First and now teaches Primary, and are very happy they did it that way. It's kind of pushing me towards the secondary subject but I keep wondering if Teach First is worth committing two years to an age group I don't want to teach in the long run?

It is also annoying becuase I had a secondary pgce offer last year but declined because I knew it wasn't for me so I kind of feel like taking the Teach First offer would almost be a step backwards because I could have done secondary last year if I wanted to...

Any advice/ thoughts would be great. I've had my TF offer for 6 days and you need to complete some work within 10 days so I really need to decide soon!

Don't touch Teach First Secondary if your ambition is to teach Primary. It will be a massive barrier to you ever securing a Primary job.
Unless I've misread that completely, I don't see the point in doing a secondary course when you want to teach primary.
Reply 3
Original post by Mr M
Don't touch Teach First Secondary if your ambition is to teach Primary. It will be a massive barrier to you ever securing a Primary job.

That is what I thought. I have heard and read about secondary teachers changing to primary but it is difficult. However, the Teach First grad that I spoke to did secondary in the same subject and managed to get the first primary job she applied for. I know it is individual and different for each person but she was so positive and happy that she did secondary and believes it has made her a better teacher.
Reply 4
Original post by JaneBaratheon
Unless I've misread that completely, I don't see the point in doing a secondary course when you want to teach primary.

I feel the same. I have had secondary experience in the past and enjoyed it but I cannot see myself in the long run being a secondary teacher.

I think I'm just relucant to decline because it's Teach First - an amazing programme and mission, the course fees are paid, you're paid as you train etc.
Maybe post a thread on the TES forum to try and get an idea how many have actually switched from Secondary to Primary? I don't mean to devalue the experience of the person you've spoken to, but they are just one person, and would you really want to base a career path on the experience of one person?

I completely get why you're attracted to the Teach First offer, hell, I'd be considering it just for the fees paid, but you have to think long term on this one.
Original post by znh
That is what I thought. I have heard and read about secondary teachers changing to primary but it is difficult. However, the Teach First grad that I spoke to did secondary in the same subject and managed to get the first primary job she applied for. I know it is individual and different for each person but she was so positive and happy that she did secondary and believes it has made her a better teacher.

It is not unusual to receive 100 applications if you advertise a Primary position. A secondary trained teacher would not make the interview shortlist. Don't make it difficult for yourself when you have already secured a much more appropriate alternative training route.
Reply 7
Original post by JaneBaratheon
Maybe post a thread on the TES forum to try and get an idea how many have actually switched from Secondary to Primary? I don't mean to devalue the experience of the person you've spoken to, but they are just one person, and would you really want to base a career path on the experience of one person?

I completely get why you're attracted to the Teach First offer, hell, I'd be considering it just for the fees paid, but you have to think long term on this one.

Thank you for the TES suggestion! I understand exactly what you're saying - even though she's got me thinking more about it, it definitely isn't enough to base my choice on.

I've looked into moving from secondary to primary before and found it was generally quite difficult e.g. getting experience via supply work/ teaching assistant for months before they had enough experience to be seriously considered for a primary role, as well as doing transition courses.

At the moment I think unless TF can offer primary or even the option of deferring for a primary place next year, I'll be accepting my pgce offer.

Thank you for the advice :smile:.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Mr M
It is not unusual to receive 100 applications if you advertise a Primary position. A secondary trained teacher would not make the interview shortlist. Don't make it difficult for yourself when you have already secured a much more appropriate alternative training route.

Exactly what I have been thinking. As much as I love the idea of training to teach via TF, it would be a bit pointless if it hinders my future goals. Most likely I will be declining their offer, which is a shame.

Thank you for replying!
Original post by znh
Hi,

Hi there
I'm currently experiencing the same dilemma with teach first and I could do with some advice. If you don't mind me asking - did you ask if you could defer? Or did you decline the offer? And what did they say to this? I accepted an offer of secondary when I want to teach primary (as i was told it was easy to switch) but I'm worried they won't let me defer now.
Original post by znh
I feel the same. I have had secondary experience in the past and enjoyed it but I cannot see myself in the long run being a secondary teacher.

I think I'm just relucant to decline because it's Teach First - an amazing programme and mission, the course fees are paid, you're paid as you train etc.

It sounds to me like you shouldn't do it. I am in a similar position in the sense that I am currently going to be paid to gain QTS, however, as the course won't give me a PGCE (which I'm told is better if you ever want to go abroad), I am likely to quite my current role, render myself unemployed and then do a PGCE in September. Scary stuff.
Original post by topshopprincess77
Hi there
I'm currently experiencing the same dilemma with teach first and I could do with some advice. If you don't mind me asking - did you ask if you could defer? Or did you decline the offer? And what did they say to this? I accepted an offer of secondary when I want to teach primary (as i was told it was easy to switch) but I'm worried they won't let me defer now.

The person you are asking hasn't posted on TSR since they made this thread in March.
Reply 12
Original post by topshopprincess77
Hi there

Hi, sorry for not replying sooner.. I am not on TSR much.

They tried to push me towards the secondary subject, and I listened to their advice and took it all into consideration but in the end I put in a curriculum transfer request, which was basically a mini essay/ personal statement why you should change. This meant I had to defer the year in order to get my area preference, but I could have been in the 2016 cohort if I didn't have an area preference.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me but I assume my reply is too late now! Good luck with whatever you decided.
I know this is an old thread, but thought I would add my recent experience with TF on here. I applied for their LDP, stating my preference to teach primary. When I got my pre-assessment call, I was informed I was eligible to teach primary, secondary English and secondary science. I said I would seriously consider an offer to teach secondary English, but would not accept an offer to teach science, as I feel that it is irresponsible to teach a subject when your only qualifications are only A levels, especially considering I did my A levels ten years ago. Despite this, they offered me science. I was willing to compromise on whether I taught primary or secondary, but not on the subject (English) I would be comfortable teaching. Rejected the offer the same day. It's a shame really because I fully endorse the TF mission and wanted to be a part of that. I just feel it was a bit of a silly offer, especially after I had already stated I would decline an offer of science... I'm going to do a PGCE now instead.
Original post by fpteacher
I fully endorse the TF mission and wanted to be a part of that.

What mission is that? The impression I got from attending their sales pitch was that it was about tolerating working in a sh1t school for two years before getting a "proper" job as a management consultant. Teaching, after all, is basically man management. Sorry to be so cynical but I was thoroughly unimpressed. I don't think kids were mentioned once.
Original post by znh
Hi,

Why do TF if you want to do primary?
Original post by ByEeek
What mission is that? The impression I got from attending their sales pitch was that it was about tolerating working in a sh1t school for two years before getting a "proper" job as a management consultant. Teaching, after all, is basically man management. Sorry to be so cynical but I was thoroughly unimpressed. I don't think kids were mentioned once.

The mission to get good teachers into struggling schools. I don't know what assessment you went to, but the corporate sponsors and the possibility of going into other fields after the two years was only mentioned once. The rest of the day was about determining which of had the potential to become great teachers. And look, whether or not TF have an agenda to get their trainees to take work with their corporate sponsors, it is not a requirement and you have the choice. I want to be a teacher, and regardless of the route, I will be a teacher, and always will be.
Original post by fpteacher
The mission to get good teachers into struggling schools. I don't know what assessment you went to, but the corporate sponsors and the possibility of going into other fields after the two years was only mentioned once. The rest of the day was about determining which of had the potential to become great teachers. And look, whether or not TF have an agenda to get their trainees to take work with their corporate sponsors, it is not a requirement and you have the choice. I want to be a teacher, and regardless of the route, I will be a teacher, and always will be.

Agreed. But only 54% of entrants are still teachers. But that's ok because those who left have education experience.

https://www.teachfirst.org.uk/blog/how-many-our-teachers-stay-classroom

Teach First PR is second to none and big business never invests money for the greater good.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 18
Any experiences trying to get into secondary school after teaching Early Years with Teach First?
At which stage did you state your preference to teach primary? I might be mistaken but I don't recall that being an option on the online application. (I have an AC booking in November and would like to teach secondary).Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending