The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Question regarding Open degree/Maths degree.

I have been considering registering for an OU degree for quite some time and have now decided to take the plunge, as a result, I will most probably be starting next October.

Due to my career aspirations and postgraduate interests, I decided that I will be studying modules from both the maths and computing departments, in fact, I was (and still am) undecided as to the kind of degree I shall be reading for. I was mainly looking at the BSc Maths and BSc Computing & IT/Maths degrees, however both options would leave out modules which might hinder further study after graduating, which led me to believe that the Open degree would be the most sensible thing for me at this stage, allowing me to take the modules that I need.

Now, my question is this, say that eventually I manage to graduate with an Open degree, and then decide to register for another BSc Maths degree, would the mathematics modules covered in the open degree count towards obtaining the maths degree. And if so, how does this work out exactly, would they make you study the additional modules not taken through the open degree? To clarify, I am planning on studying Analysing Data and Applications of Probability as part of my open degree, without taking Intro to Statistics at Level 1. Keeping in mind that Intro to Stats is a compulsory module as part of the BSc Maths degree, would they still require me to complete it given that at that point, it would be way too basic for me?

Would love to hear people with similar experiences.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply 1
Original post by lors90
I have been considering registering for an OU degree for quite some time and have now decided to take the plunge, as a result, I will most probably be starting next October.

Due to my career aspirations and postgraduate interests, I decided that I will be studying modules from both the maths and computing departments, in fact, I was (and still am) undecided as to the kind of degree I shall be reading for. I was mainly looking at the BSc Maths and BSc Computing & IT/Maths degrees, however both options would leave out modules which might hinder further study after graduating, which led me to believe that the Open degree would be the most sensible thing for me at this stage, allowing me to take the modules that I need.

Now, my question is this, say that eventually I manage to graduate with an Open degree, and then decide to register for another BSc Maths degree, would the mathematics modules covered in the open degree count towards obtaining the maths degree. And if so, how does this work out exactly, would they make you study the additional modules not taken through the open degree? To clarify, I am planning on studying Analysing Data and Applications of Probability as part of my open degree, without taking Intro to Statistics at Level 1. Keeping in mind that Intro to Stats is a compulsory module as part of the BSc Maths degree, would they still require me to complete it given that at that point, it would be way too basic for me?

Would love to hear people with similar experiences.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Yes, you would need to complete all of the compulsory modules, even if they were then at a lower level.
You can count your previous study towards a new degree. If the modules you studied are needed on the new degree you don't have to study them again - so if Analysing Data is required or compulsory for the maths degree it can count towards both. There is a rule about how much study must be unique to each degree, but I am struggling to find it on the OU site - I think it is 120 credits.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Thanks for your reply.So if I am understanding correctly, you are saying that to be awarded a new degree, you have to study at least 120 credits across all three levels comprising of modules (which count towards said degree) not previously studied?
Reply 3
Original post by lors90
Thanks for your reply.So if I am understanding correctly, you are saying that to be awarded a new degree, you have to study at least 120 credits across all three levels comprising of modules (which count towards said degree) not previously studied?

Registered Undergraduate qualifications: Maximum reuse of credit

a) Integrated Master’s degree A maximum of 300 credits from OU modules or collaborative scheme modules can be reused from another undergraduate qualification, other than the Bachelor of Engineering (BEng), from which no credit may be reused.
b) Bachelor’s degree with Honours A maximum of 240 credits from OU modules or collaborative scheme modules can be reused from any other undergraduate qualification, unless regulation K7.8 applies.
c) Bachelor’s degree A maximum of 180 credits from OU modules or collaborative scheme modules can be reused from any undergraduate qualification.

So either b or c would apply to you, depending on whether you're with or without honours. So you could use a maximum of 240 credits towards both degrees.

You also need to make sure that you follow this rule:

Bachelor’s degree A minimum of 100 credits of unique study above OU first level including at least 60 credits at OU third level is required.

So you'll need 360 credits for the maths degree, and 240 can be transferred over from the Open. This leaves 120 credits you need to study solely towards the maths degree, but 100 of these 120 must be at level 2 or 3, and 60 must be at level 3.
If you're not taking Into To Stats during the Open degree, that's a 30 credit module at level 1. So you're going to have to take more than 120 new credits to satisfy both rules.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by lors90

No.
The 120 credits of further Open University or collaborative scheme modules required for the degree must all be at OU Stage 3 and unique to the qualification.

I went from IT to maths but didn't have to pick a degree aim back then.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 5
I think Sputum might be right here. With an honours first degree, the 120 credits needed to count for the second one have to be all at Level 3. But in this case, would the other compulsory Level 1/2 modules still have to be completed? Because such a scenario would mean that apart from 120 credits at level 3, I would also need to complete 30 credits at level 1 and another 60 credits at level 2. I have no problem with the level 2 modules since these are needed to provide sufficient knowledge for further level 3 study, but the level 1 module (stats) would be redundant at that point.
Reply 6
Original post by lors90
I think Sputum might be right here. With an honours first degree, the 120 credits needed to count for the second one have to be all at Level 3. But in this case, would the other compulsory Level 1/2 modules still have to be completed? Because such a scenario would mean that apart from 120 credits at level 3, I would also need to complete 30 credits at level 1 and another 60 credits at level 2. I have no problem with the level 2 modules since these are needed to provide sufficient knowledge for further level 3 study, but the level 1 module (stats) would be redundant at that point.

There's a page on the OU StudentHome site where you can see how your previous study can be counted towards another degree. With my previous study, I have options to count 90 credits towards some degrees. So yes, you still need to study the lower level modules if they are compulsory for the new degree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending