The Student Room Group

Can you still apply for GEM schools if you don't sit GAMSAT?

I am currently booked to sit GAMSAT however whilst I feel confident on Section 2 and partly on section 3, Section 1 seems like a pain and am weighing whether or not I should cancel the booking (cancellation deadline on 14th).

I wouldnt mind applying to GAMSAT schools however I need to confirm if it is possible to sit GAMSAT next march if I am applying for 2018 entry or if I would need to sit it this year for 2018 entry.

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by quasa
I am currently booked to sit GAMSAT however whilst I feel confident on Section 2 and partly on section 3, Section 1 seems like a pain and am weighing whether or not I should cancel the booking (cancellation deadline on 14th).

I wouldnt mind applying to GAMSAT schools however I need to confirm if it is possible to sit GAMSAT next march if I am applying for 2018 entry or if I would need to sit it this year for 2018 entry.

Thanks.

If you sit the GAMSAT next March it will not be valid for 2018 entry. It'll only be valid for 2019 and 2020 entry. If you are applying for 2018 entry you have to do it in September.
Hello again :tongue: you would only need to do the GAMSAT if you're applying to med schools which require the GAMSAT. If you don't but still go ahead, that's an automatic rejection. Have you sat/going to sit the UKCAT or BMAT?
Original post by gradmed305
Hello again :tongue: you would only need to do the GAMSAT if you're applying to med schools which require the GAMSAT. If you don't but still go ahead, that's an automatic rejection. Have you sat/going to sit the UKCAT or BMAT?

currently weighing options re BMAT as I am unsure if i should apply for undergrad med (GEM is the goal but also aware of the competition). UKCAT tbh is 1 of the reasons why my GAMSAT revision is late as I havent sat it yet (and with work I can only prioritise UKCAT for now then switch fulltime to GAMSAT a month and a bit before the exam). Weekends can do both if im not locumming on sats and sundays although I did manage to do a few minutes at work last week.
Original post by quasa
currently weighing options re BMAT as I am unsure if i should apply for undergrad med (GEM is the goal but also aware of the competition). UKCAT tbh is 1 of the reasons why my GAMSAT revision is late as I havent sat it yet (and with work I can only prioritise UKCAT for now then switch fulltime to GAMSAT a month and a bit before the exam). Weekends can do both if im not locumming on sats and sundays although I did manage to do a few minutes at work last week.

You are aware that you'll have to finance undergrad med yourself? Do you think it may be better to just focus on the UKCAT? Which universities are you interested in anyway?
Original post by gradmed305
You are aware that you'll have to finance undergrad med yourself? Do you think it may be better to just focus on the UKCAT? Which universities are you interested in anyway?

I am aware although I am told apparently with undergrad maintenance loans you get its just tuition fees you pay (that even 1st 3 years). Ideally its not great but hey I have been saving (and been told by a lot of people that you can locum weekends and it wont affect your education).

in terms of unis, GEM: all unis minus the A level dependent ones as my A levels are bleep (BCC). Undergrad: most minus oxbridge and imperial as imperial wants me to redo A levels. Although the way things are progressing, I think I would have to do my a levels again :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending