The Student Room Group

Do Universities discriminate against UKCATSEN

I am planning to give the UKCATSEN and I was wondering if this hinders my chances of successfully getting into top unis such as Kings, Imperial etc. Does anyone know of any cases where either the unis have treated everyone fairly, or they have discriminated? I understand all universities abide by the "fair judgment" maxim, but to what extent is that true?
I'm freaking out as I really want to study medicine, but I'm thinking of taking the risk of doing the normal UKCAT, for this sole reason, to be judged like everyone else under normal circumstances.

Can anyone offer advice. Chuuurs
Reply 1
Original post by Abbas khoja
I am planning to give the UKCATSEN and I was wondering if this hinders my chances of successfully getting into top unis such as Kings, Imperial etc. Does anyone know of any cases where either the unis have treated everyone fairly, or they have discriminated? I understand all universities abide by the "fair judgment" maxim, but to what extent is that true?
I'm freaking out as I really want to study medicine, but I'm thinking of taking the risk of doing the normal UKCAT, for this sole reason, to be judged like everyone else under normal circumstances.

No.
Not in the slightest.
If you're entitled to extra help and time,use it

For real? If you have a reason to be taking the UKCATSEN, im assuming you also get extra time in exams, something they probably won't be aware of. When you input disability information into UCAS, i dont believe they send it to universities. And I know people with these sorts of issues-who were allowed extra time in exams-who definitely got onto Medical Science, a course i did run by a medical school-so yeah, they definitely don't.

If you have a legit reason (i assume you do) for taking the UKCATSEN, you'll be disadvantaging yourself by not taking it-given its a test thats meant to have a massive time pressure associated, and thats part of the challenge. So if you did happen to be right (which fortunately here, you arent), you'd tank your UKCAT scores and ruin your application anyway
Reply 4
Original post by QuentinM
For real? If you have a reason to be taking the UKCATSEN, im assuming you also get extra time in exams, something they probably won't be aware of. When you input disability information into UCAS, i dont believe they send it to universities. And I know people with these sorts of issues-who were allowed extra time in exams-who definitely got onto Medical Science, a course i did run by a medical school-so yeah, they definitely don't.

If you have a legit reason (i assume you do) for taking the UKCATSEN, you'll be disadvantaging yourself by not taking it-given its a test thats meant to have a massive time pressure associated, and thats part of the challenge. So if you did happen to be right (which fortunately here, you arent), you'd tank your UKCAT scores and ruin your application anyway

You're right.
Im eligible for extra time in exams but I willingly opt-out because of the same reservations. I just keep thinking that if I do the UKCATSEN format, the Universities get the score and beside it, it says its the ukcatsen version then what impact that will have on my application. They will surely see that its a genuine reason, but after they sympathise and they come to rationalising offers, would they really want a doctor running around in the wards who needs 25% extra time to diagnose the patient?
Have you seen many cases where people who get extra time have gotten into tough courses such as medicine?

Have you seen many cases where people who get extra time have gotten into tough courses such as medicine?

yep

Latest

Trending

Trending