The Student Room Group

New further maths???????

i planned to start studying for furthermaths in year 13; but as soon they decided to make the exams linear i became vexed (:biggrin:). i wanted to do fp1 and fp2 in jan but they dont allow you to do January exams and plus they changed modules to further statistics and further mechanics. Does anybody know how the new further-maths is gonna turn out like?
1.So i just want to know what exams do i have to take, in order to get a full A-level qualification in furthermaths.
2. will taking the international version of a-levels maths i.e C12, C34 and m1 effect the furthermaths part?
3. Since my school doesnt teach furthermaths i'm gonna self study for this one, are the previous a-level further maths books viable in this case.
btw its edexcel i'm talking about.
cheers.....
Original post by assassinbunny123
i planned to start studying for furthermaths in year 13; but as soon they decided to make the exams linear i became vexed (:biggrin:). i wanted to do fp1 and fp2 in jan but they dont allow you to do January exams and plus they changed modules to further statistics and further mechanics. Does anybody know how the new further-maths is gonna turn out like?
1.So i just want to know what exams do i have to take, in order to get a full A-level qualification in furthermaths.
2. will taking the international version of a-levels maths i.e C12, C34 and m1 effect the furthermaths part?
3. Since my school doesnt teach furthermaths i'm gonna self study for this one, are the previous a-level further maths books viable in this case.
btw its edexcel i'm talking about.
cheers.....

Parts of the book may be similar, but you'd need to look to see if new ones are available. As far as I'm aware, taking international a level maths shouldn't affect further maths.
2018 is last chance to take the old spec so if you do it in 1 year, ypu can do tge old modular system. With modules to get full alevel you need fp1 and one of fp2-3(not sure if edexcel has 4 but that would be fine too) then just any 4 modules you haven't taken yet.
Original post by black1blade
2018 is last chance to take the old spec so if you do it in 1 year, ypu can do tge old modular system. With modules to get full alevel you need fp1 and one of fp2-3(not sure if edexcel has 4 but that would be fine too) then just any 4 modules you haven't taken yet.

thx, i'll probably do it in 1 year. But i dont know how the modules are gonna work. i've done m1 at AS and probably gonna do m2 to get my normal maths (A-level completed) will the m2 count towards further or do i have to do a further s1,s2 ,s3 and d1. separately. cause that seems a lot to do in a year.
Reply 4
If you've started on the old spec then you should be able to finish on it. (Not sure for international students but) it should be possible to take the old spec units until Summer 2019.
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
If you've started on the old spec then you should be able to finish on it. (Not sure for international students but) it should be possible to take the old spec units until Summer 2019.

Last year is only for re-sitting the modules isn't it?
Original post by Compost

yea you can still do the exam till 2018 plus the resists in 2019. But i dont know how the modules are gonna work. i've done m1 at AS and probably gonna do m2 to get my normal maths (A-level completed) will the m2 count towards further or do i have to do a further s1,s2 ,s3 and d1. separately. cause that seems a lot to do in a year.
So c1-4 and 2 applied count towards normal maths and the rest towards furtherm They arrange applied modulto optimise grades but I don't think you can share exams across different exam boards.
Reply 8
yea you can still do the exam till 2018 plus the resists in 2019. But i dont know how the modules are gonna work. i've done m1 at AS and probably gonna do m2 to get my normal maths (A-level completed) will the m2 count towards further or do i have to do a further s1,s2 ,s3 and d1. separately. cause that seems a lot to do in a year.

For Maths and Further maths you need C1-4, FP1, at least 1 from Fp2 and Fp3 and enough more units to total 12. It doesn't matter when you do them, where the applied units go is decided at the end in order to maximise (in this order):

Maths grade

FM grade

Maths UMS

You can have 2 Unit 1s in Maths (e.g. M1 & M1) or a matched pair of 1 & 2 (e.g. M1 & M2).
Reply 9
Original post by S2M
Last year is only for re-sitting the modules isn't it?

More or less. but Fm makes things complicated and would probably allow a bit more leeway.
Reply 10
Original post by Compost
More or less. but Fm makes things complicated and would probably allow a bit more leeway.

Ohh ok. :smile:
Original post by Compost
For Maths and Further maths you need C1-4, FP1, at least 1 from Fp2 and Fp3 and enough more units to total 12. It doesn't matter when you do them, where the applied units go is decided at the end in order to maximise (in this order):

Maths grade

FM grade

Maths UMS

You can have 2 Unit 1s in Maths (e.g. M1 & M1) or a matched pair of 1 & 2 (e.g. M1 & M2).

so c1-4, fp1,fp2,fp3,m1,m2,s1,s2,d1 would give me a level maths and a-level furthermaths???? jeez, i think thats gonna be tough considering i have physics and chem as well to do in one year..........
so c1-4, fp1,fp2,fp3,m1,m2,s1,s2,d1 would give me a level maths and a-level furthermaths???? .....

Yes. You could always consider just Maths and AS Further Maths (FP1 plus any 2 units not in Maths).
so c1-4, fp1,fp2,fp3,m1,m2,s1,s2,d1 would give me a level maths and a-level furthermaths???? jeez, i think thats gonna be tough considering i have physics and chem as well to do in one year..........

Those are the exact modules I'm doing but I've already done normal maths (going into y13).
Original post by black1blade
Those are the exact modules I'm doing but I've already done normal maths (going into y13).

i'm debating upon doing d1 or s3. which one is easier or less demanding?
i'm debating upon doing d1 or s3. which one is easier or less demanding?

d1 is definitely less demanding. d1 is AS and s3 is A level so that should give you an indication. i just did d1 and theyre literally all the same; all you do is follow a literal algorithm
Original post by hpblcparaboloid
d1 is definitely less demanding. d1 is AS and s3 is A level so that should give you an indication. i just did d1 and theyre literally all the same; all you do is follow a literal algorithm

oh ok how long did it take you to complete d1, or how long should does it take to understand the concepts?

Quick Reply

Latest