The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

I am labeled as a near miss. +extenuating circumstances. What are my hope/options...

I am a French student who has been offered a conditional offer to study maths for imperial college, but I missed my offer. I needed to have 16/20 overall, 16 in maths, and 15 in physics but I have got 16.39 overall, 15 in maths, and 14 in physics.
I have had a severe ailment of my stomach 2 weeks before the exam and also during the exam, which led me to perform much worse than usual. ( I would normally score between 16 and 18 in maths and physics...).
The thing is I have contacted for my sickness only after I have I have received my results...
and I am now very anxious for what shall I do next...

I have sent them an e-mail, and I have been labelled as a near miss applicant.
I have also sent them my school transcripts for the last 2 years which range between 16-18 for all subjects including maths and physics, along with recommandation letter from tutors and a medical evidence.

The thing is I am very motivated to study in Imperial College, and I am now kind of depressed for what has happened...

What do you think are my hopes for being accepted ?
If I receive a no, what shall I do ?

Furthermore, as I live outside the EU, I am classified as an international student if that could help...

Thanks in advance
Original post by justaguy2
I am a French student who has been offered a conditional offer to study maths for imperial college, but I missed my offer. I needed to have 16/20 overall, 16 in maths, and 15 in physics but I have got 16.39 overall, 15 in maths, and 14 in physics.
I have had a severe ailment of my stomach 2 weeks before the exam and also during the exam, which led me to perform much worse than usual. ( I would normally score between 16 and 18 in maths and physics...).
The thing is I have contacted for my sickness only after I have I have received my results...
and I am now very anxious for what shall I do next...

I have sent them an e-mail, and I have been labelled as a near miss applicant.
I have also sent them my school transcripts for the last 2 years which range between 16-18 for all subjects including maths and physics, along with recommandation letter from tutors and a medical evidence.

The thing is I am very motivated to study in Imperial College, and I am now kind of depressed for what has happened...

What do you think are my hopes for being accepted ?
If I receive a no, what shall I do ?

Furthermore, as I live outside the EU, I am classified as an international student if that could help...

Thanks in advance

I know of people who missed their offer for Oxford but they called back and they were very understanding and got in. Why don't you call imperial up and talk to them? :smile:
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by transient life
I know of people who missed their offer for Oxford but they called back and they were very understanding and got in. Why don't you call imperial up and talk to them? :smile:

Thanks for your response ! I will definitely try calling them, but I am not so sure what to say to them since the A levels results are not up yet, and I fear they will say that I will just have to wait until the 17th of August...
Original post by justaguy2
Thanks for your response ! I will definitely try calling them, but I am not so sure what to say to them since the A levels results are not up yet, and I fear they will say that I will just have to wait until the 17th of August...

I think it's still a good idea to call from before and inform them, there's no harm in calling twice :smile:. Trust me, I think I've annoyed brasenose with all my emails and phone calls but they weren't annoyed at all and was very helpful and reassuring. I'm sure imperial is the same 😊
Reply 4
Hey Littlepiglet,

I feel the very same frustration as you ! (it has been thus for more than a month and half for me !) Still two days to wait :smile:
I still very much want to go there, and I can't wait for the results.

You were hospitalised for a week 1 month before the exam, and you missed your score only by 1 mark for the two... I think you should have a lot chances (more than me) for getting accepted. You can have stats of previous year at "whattheyknow.com". I have read that as the conditions are quite high, if you missed very nearly, you should have some serious chances to get in.

For myself, I am not sure if I have been labeled as having mitigating circumstances although I send them my medical note. They just said that I was a near-miss applicant and I had to wait until the 17th of August.

I have some questions : Where are you from ? What course are you applying to ? How come you have got your A-levels results before the 17th ?

If Imperial rejects me, I still have my insurance choice which is the maths of Warwick (which I got my response 3-4 days ago since I was a near-miss for there too), so it is not as it is the end of the world. Furthermore, the courses at Warwick also seems very interesting to me (they have a course of mathematics and philosophy which interests me a lot).

Anyway, let's hope, and try to stay calm two more days ! I hope we both get accepted, and will meet each other there :wink:
Yes, it has been a very anxious week for me. I can't even begin to imagine how it has been for you!

I am not labelled under mitigating circumstances, but as a near miss too. Can't do anything but wait for Track :frown:

. The A-Levels exam board I took, CIE for some reason decided to release the results early..

Yes, let's hope we both get in :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Littlepiglet
Yes, it has been a very anxious week for me. I can't even begin to imagine how it has been for you!

I am not labelled under mitigating circumstances, but as a near miss too. Can't do anything but wait for Track :frown:

I'm from Malaysia, applied for design engineering. The A-Levels exam board I took, CIE for some reason decided to release the results early..

Yes, let's hope we both get in :smile:

I still did not get an answer in track... I was wondering if you have heard from them ?
Reply 7
Original post by Littlepiglet
I am in a similar situation as you. My offer to Imperial was A*A*A but I've only got A*AA on which 2 of my As are 89, 1 mark away from an A*. I was diagnosed with Influenza 1 month before my A2 and admitted to the hospital for about a week. I was not in good shape... I also contacted them after I received my results in which they said it is now no longer counted as mitigating circumstances and will have to wait for UK A-Levels on the 17th as I think you and I both are classified under 'near miss' applicants. Like you, I really wanted to get into imperial and am not really sure what to do if they don't accept me..

Did you manage to get a place?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending