The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Endcliffe concerns : I'm a little worried

I've just been allocated Endcliffe Vale and, based on a past thread, am no beginning to worry. The reason I opted for Endcliffe was that it was the cheapest, simply put. I'm a very social person, I love talking books, movies and music with people, and would love to go around the city with them, but I absolutely do not like partying or drinking. I probably wouldn't go out clubbing because a) I don't really enjoy it and b) I'm an international student on a budget, so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't really spend my money on clubbing.

I feel as though I might not have many friends in Endcliffe Vale flats because of this. I was really hoping for a good mix of British, European, East Asian, African, Indian etc students in my flat (basically, an international mix). As an international student, I probably can't participate in a lot of the things British students can. So, will I be okay? I don't want to seem like a bore, or be left out. I also take my academics very seriously, as it's not easy for my parents to give me this opportunity and I want to make the most of it.

Also, I have been allocated a ground floor room and I'm a little concerned about break-ins. I used to live in Manchester when I was younger, as my mum was doing her PhD and I remember a break-in at the ground floor of the student hall in which we used to live.
Original post by fandom-queen
I've just been allocated Endcliffe Vale and, based on a past thread, am no beginning to worry. The reason I opted for Endcliffe was that it was the cheapest, simply put. I'm a very social person, I love talking books, movies and music with people, and would love to go around the city with them, but I absolutely do not like partying or drinking. I probably wouldn't go out clubbing because a) I don't really enjoy it and b) I'm an international student on a budget, so even if I wanted to, I wouldn't really spend my money on clubbing.

I feel as though I might not have many friends in Endcliffe Vale flats because of this. I was really hoping for a good mix of British, European, East Asian, African, Indian etc students in my flat (basically, an international mix). As an international student, I probably can't participate in a lot of the things British students can. So, will I be okay? I don't want to seem like a bore, or be left out. I also take my academics very seriously, as it's not easy for my parents to give me this opportunity and I want to make the most of it.

Also, I have been allocated a ground floor room and I'm a little concerned about break-ins. I used to live in Manchester when I was younger, as my mum was doing her PhD and I remember a break-in at the ground floor of the student hall in which we used to live.

First of all, don't panic! It is overwhelming moving to university but many people will be in the same boat. You are not going to be the only one who doesn't really enjoy partying and getting really drunk :smile: I had a few flatmates (in endcliffe) who weren't big on partying but they did other things instead but they weren't ignored or looked down on. We used to have many chats on the evenings about things and sit and watch films too.

As for what else they did, there's so many societies you can join where drinking isn't necessary. Have a look on the Sheffield Students Union website and look at what societies you might want to join, they have societies for every subject to book clubs and different sports and campaigning groups, many of which don't focus around drinking! You will be able to sign up during Freshers Week. A big tip would be to make an effort, if you feel like you get on with someone well maybe just ask them if they want to grab lunch or go and watch a film the chances are they will even if they usually go on nights out!

Endcliffe is a very safe place, with it's own security. I didn't hear of anyone being broken in to or having things stolen (as long as you take the normal precautions like locking your door and not leaving things out where someone can see). There's quite a bit of security to get into flats such as a fob to get let into the block then a key for your flat itself!
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Original post by blondie :)
First of all, don't panic! It is overwhelming moving to university but many people will be in the same boat. You are not going to be the only one who doesn't really enjoy partying and getting really drunk :smile: I had a few flatmates (in endcliffe) who weren't big on partying but they did other things instead but they weren't ignored or looked down on. We used to have many chats on the evenings about things and sit and watch films too.

As for what else they did, there's so many societies you can join where drinking isn't necessary. Have a look on the Sheffield Students Union website and look at what societies you might want to join, they have societies for every subject to book clubs and different sports and campaigning groups, many of which don't focus around drinking! You will be able to sign up during Freshers Week. A big tip would be to make an effort, if you feel like you get on with someone well maybe just ask them if they want to grab lunch or go and watch a film the chances are they will even if they usually go on nights out!

Endcliffe is a very safe place, with it's own security. I didn't hear of anyone being broken in to or having things stolen (as long as you take the normal precautions like locking your door and not leaving things out where someone can see). There's quite a bit of security to get into flats such as a fob to get let into the block then a key for your flat itself!

Thank you so much! You're a lifesaver :-) I am really looking forward to spending time at the Edge or somewhere to sit down and have a chat. I would love to watch movies and just converse with people. It's such a relief that there'll be others like me. :-) I was panicking, tbh :-D

I absolutely would love to join some societies, like the choir, book society or the International Students' Committee. Trust me, you have made me feel SO much better.

I've heard Endcliffe has a security patrol and CCTVs, so I suppose it'll be safe. One question though, would you happen to know if Endcliffe Vale is mixed or single sex? I have no clue. Thanks!
Thank you so much! You're a lifesaver :-) I am really looking forward to spending time at the Edge or somewhere to sit down and have a chat. I would love to watch movies and just converse with people. It's such a relief that there'll be others like me. :-) I was panicking, tbh :-D

I absolutely would love to join some societies, like the choir, book society or the International Students' Committee. Trust me, you have made me feel SO much better.

I've heard Endcliffe has a security patrol and CCTVs, so I suppose it'll be safe. One question though, would you happen to know if Endcliffe Vale is mixed or single sex? I have no clue. Thanks!

My flatmates that didn't drink so much were the ones who were the busiest because they were always up to something with a society! It might seem during Freshers Week that you're the only one not drinking but you won't be! (Including myself, who cannot handle drinking for days on end now and will be a postgraduate!) Look out for events that the SU/the Edge puts on for non alcoholic nights they put loads on!

I have not much experience of Endcliffe Vale but from possibly someone I know of, I think she was with a flat of all girls but I could be getting it mixed up with another block of flats. Have a look on Facebook groups like Sheffield Accomodation to see if you can find any other flatmates then you might get an idea whether it is single sex or not!
Original post by blondie :)
My flatmates that didn't drink so much were the ones who were the busiest because they were always up to something with a society! It might seem during Freshers Week that you're the only one not drinking but you won't be! (Including myself, who cannot handle drinking for days on end now and will be a postgraduate!) Look out for events that the SU/the Edge puts on for non alcoholic nights they put loads on!

I have not much experience of Endcliffe Vale but from possibly someone I know of, I think she was with a flat of all girls but I could be getting it mixed up with another block of flats. Have a look on Facebook groups like Sheffield Accomodation to see if you can find any other flatmates then you might get an idea whether it is single sex or not!

I had a look at the societies page and oml, they look so interesting! I am really really glad you gave me that idea. I feel excited now haha! I will keep an eye out for them, thanks!

Yeah, I'll check thanks!
From what I remember Endcliffe Vale is a bit quieter and often takes in international/mature students, at least that's what it was like when I was in Endcliffe 3-4 years ago, I don't think it's changed much though. I'm surprised you didn't apply to City if you wanted an international mix, it has a much stronger reputation for that, in fact I'd argue that Endcliffe has a reputation for being overwhelmingly British.

Ground floor should be ok in Endcliffe, they have security patrolling constantly and in general there's a fairly strong police and security presence around the student areas, it's not uncommon to see them patrolling.

Also if you ever feel uncomfortable in your room you can apply to change, there are often quite a few people who leave in the first couple weeks which will open up some rooms that you might be able to get into.
Original post by Helloworld_95
From what I remember Endcliffe Vale is a bit quieter and often takes in international/mature students, at least that's what it was like when I was in Endcliffe 3-4 years ago, I don't think it's changed much though. I'm surprised you didn't apply to City if you wanted an international mix, it has a much stronger reputation for that, in fact I'd argue that Endcliffe has a reputation for being overwhelmingly British.

Ground floor should be ok in Endcliffe, they have security patrolling constantly and in general there's a fairly strong police and security presence around the student areas, it's not uncommon to see them patrolling.

Also if you ever feel uncomfortable in your room you can apply to change, there are often quite a few people who leave in the first couple weeks which will open up some rooms that you might be able to get into.

Oh gods, is it? I always read everywhere that Endcliffe takes the vast majority of students, and that it has more of an international buzz. I had NO IDEA that it was more british. If I'd known, I would've applied for city.

Well, I am at Endcliffe Vale, so fingers crossed you're right. I must admit, the only hope I have is that Endcliffe Vale is the cheapest, and so, British students will probably opt for En-suite and slightly more expensive rooms. I am generalising, I know.

Yeah, I'll probably try for a few days and see if I'm comfortable. Do you know if it's possible to shift from Endcliffe to city? If there are rooms available, of course.
Oh gods, is it? I always read everywhere that Endcliffe takes the vast majority of students, and that it has more of an international buzz. I had NO IDEA that it was more british. If I'd known, I would've applied for city.

Well, I am at Endcliffe Vale, so fingers crossed you're right. I must admit, the only hope I have is that Endcliffe Vale is the cheapest, and so, British students will probably opt for En-suite and slightly more expensive rooms. I am generalising, I know.

Yeah, I'll probably try for a few days and see if I'm comfortable. Do you know if it's possible to shift from Endcliffe to city? If there are rooms available, of course.

I think it's significantly more difficult to move between villages, I would say email them today or phone them up tomorrow to ask as they will be very busy at the moment, but you will find it much more difficult after they get A level results on Wednesday I think, and so have to start allocating the majority of rooms.

Hello! I'm trying to find a replacement tenant for my Sheffield 3 room (standard plus ensuite). It's a 10 min walk away from the uni and the contract is from 16th Sept 2017 - 21st July 2018.

£5280 for the entire duration. (£120 per week)
(Cheaper than uni ensuite and, a bigger room)

As I'm quite desperate to find a replacement tenant, I'll also give you £700 if you're kind enough to take over my contract, which would make it £104.10 per week)

Sheffield 3 is half uni accommodation and it's very international.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending