The Student Room Group

Sometimes I just think... what's the point?

I love studying, and have profound ambitions and careers that I would love to pursue, but a part of me is just thinking: "Why not just work in fast food for the rest of your life? It doesn't seem that bad. Pay isn't the best, but free food, right? I don't even have to try at all in school! No GCSEs... no A-levels... no degree...". I think about how good I am with money, and how it would be easy living on minimum wage, as long as I lived alone (which I am completely fine with). Does anyone else think that the effort isn't worth the ultimate result at the end? Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know. I would love to hear your opinions on this.
Why does a gif work for everyone but me?
Original post by Zeux
I love studying, and have profound ambitions and careers that I would love to pursue, but a part of me is just thinking: "Why not just work in fast food for the rest of your life? It doesn't seem that bad. Pay isn't the best, but free food, right? I don't even have to try at all in school! No GCSEs... no A-levels... no degree...". I think about how good I am with money, and how it would be easy living on minimum wage, as long as I lived alone (which I am completely fine with). Does anyone else think that the effort isn't worth the ultimate result at the end? Maybe I'm crazy, I don't know. I would love to hear your opinions on this.

Have you ever worked a minimum wage job?

You might be able to survive on minimum wage, but you wouldn't be able to live.
Reply 3
Original post by Cubone-r
Have you ever worked a minimum wage job?

You might be able to survive on minimum wage, but you wouldn't be able to live.

I am a man of minimal needs, but nonetheless nice words! :closedeyes:

Haha, very true I suppose. :giggle:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
What I did was go on Google Images, search "gif" and went to 'Tools' and changed 'Size' to exactly 100 x 100. I looked through until I found a nice one, saved it and made it my avatar. However, you have the find the right one though, because some didn't work for me for some reason! :h:
Original post by Zeux

I get existential crisises all the time. Whats the point in doing anything if we are going to die... what the point in getting a job... whats the point of marrying... having a family... if we are all going to die out soon
Reply 6
In the grand scheme of things, as you're dying and have those last few seconds to reflect upon many moments upon your life, I imagine you would feel happier dying that you did things in your life that you were proud of and enjoyed as opposed to never challenging yourself to get as much out of this 1 lifetime as possible.

If you are interested, you should look into Absurdism as it does approach the whole issue of 'what's the point in trying if it's all going to be in vain'. The point, essentially, is that despite that you should not simply give up, but try to come to terms with the inherent absurdity of life and enjoy it.

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by PhilDanthropist
I get existential crisises all the time. Whats the point in doing anything if we are going to die... what the point in getting a job... whats the point of marrying... having a family... if we are all going to die out soon

Well, I mean I can't blame you if you watch Dan and Phil :giggle:! I don't see interest in a lot of things that people may find riveting... such as marriage and having kids. It just doesn't interest me! :colondollar:
if the end point is to die, then you don't need to live...you just need to survive...
Reply 9
PC -> is there a TSR app?
Original post by Zeux
Well, I mean I can't blame you if you watch Dan and Phil :giggle:! I don't see interest in a lot of things that people may find riveting... such as marriage and having kids. It just doesn't interest me! :colondollar:

Lol... yh i agree with you... i just dont see the point coz we are all going to die... whats the point in getting a job that pays well... when you die all the wealth and respect goes away
"I want to represent the idea that you really can make what you want, I just believe that, I just believe that you can create what you want to create"

It breaks my heart OP to see you thinking like this, in the UK as youth we are in a position where we can chase our dreams. Make the most of it :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by SuperHuman98
"I want to represent the idea that you really can make what you want, I just believe that, I just believe that you can create what you want to create"

It breaks my heart OP to see you thinking like this, in the UK as youth we are in a position where we can chase our dreams. Make the most of it :smile:

It's more intrusive thoughts, rather than thoughts I will act upon. :colondollar:
Reply 13
I am not a materialistic person, and I place more weight on experiences than objects. My favourite thing is travel. You can't live and do much in the way of travel on minimum wage. So for me if you want to enjoy your life, (and for whatever reason we are here, you may as well) a bit if extra money will help you do that.
I think you should get a job at McDonalds or somewhere similar. You will most likely snap out of this mindset very fast.
There's more to life than just going to work and surviving on bare minimum. For me, I like to think that a good job gives me the opportunity to do stuff like travel, and buying stuff that you generally wouldn't be able to afford on a low-paying jobs. That's why I put the effort in, and why I spend so much time revising and making myself better.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending