The Student Room Group

Ran a red light :(

I feel awful about it, it was at a 'crossing' although there wasn't anyone at the crossing at the time. It was literally just after a roundabout and someone had just cut me up on the lanes and swerved back, so I was looking in my mirror to avoid them, looked up and the light was red and I'd already gone through. There were two other lanes that had stopped.

I have anxiety as it is and now I'm worried I'm going to get a fine or points and I really can't afford it with uni :frown:
I've looked on Google Maps and there is a camera on top that looks like this:

Screen Shot 2017-08-13 at 17.20.10.png
Am I going to get done for it???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Youre ****ed. Evacuate
That's not a red light camera, it's just to monitor the crossing.

Look it up here: http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk
Hilarious, so you have no idea what that camera is for either then?
Original post by CuteWithoutTheE_
I feel awful about it, it was at a 'crossing' although there wasn't anyone at the crossing at the time. It was literally just after a roundabout and someone had just cut me up on the lanes and swerved back, so I was looking in my mirror to avoid them, looked up and the light was red and I'd already gone through. There were two other lanes that had stopped.

I have anxiety as it is and now I'm worried I'm going to get a fine or points and I really can't afford it with uni :frown:

I'm pretty sure the standard fine for it, is £100 - along with 3 points to be endorsed onto your licence. That's the minimum penalty, that is. However, under your circumstances, you might possibly be able to appeal against the penalty and/or fine. I'd just wait and see what happens though - sometimes you can get away with it. My friend who literally had only been driving for a week ran a red light, for instance (I was in the car with him at the time), and nothing ever happened.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
That's not a red light camera, it's just to monitor the crossing.

Look it up here: http://www.speedcameramap.co.uk

Thanks so much for that, so I can't get a fine through one of those? Feel so bad for doing it, I've been driving 7 years and never ran a red light!
Thanks so much for that, so I can't get a fine through one of those? Feel so bad for doing it, I've been driving 7 years and never ran a red light!

Pretty sure they would still be monitoring it for red lights though.
I think very few red lights have cameras, at least where I live
Original post by Einsteinium*
I'm pretty sure the standard fine for it, is £100 - along with 3 points to be endorsed onto your licence. That's the minimum penalty, that is. However, under your circumstances, you might possibly be able to appeal against the penalty and/or fine. I'd just wait and see what happens though - sometimes you can get away with it. My friend who literally had only been driving for a week ran a red light, for instance (I was in the car with him at the time), and nothing ever happened.

Thanks for the info. Maybe, he did it at the other side of the roundabout so I'm not sure there would be any proof. I guess I've just got to cross my fingers now. I know those cameras aren't like a red light camera but I'm still not sure if they are CCTV or something and if the person watching could fine me?

Everyone makes mistakes and nobody was hurt. Don't beat yourself up over nothing. I know what anxiety is like though
Reply 10

That ain't even a red-light camera fam.

They ain't front-facing that is for sure. Most of the cameras on the road, i.e speed cameras etc are rear facing and take the picture of the reg plate situated on the back of your car - yes back, not front.

Red light cameras in fact are literally the same as speed cameras and most work hand in hand - so if you jump the light @ over 40mph then you get 3 points for jumping the light and 3 points for speeding. The camera that you have attached isn't a camera at all by the looks of it - more like a sensor maybe.

Don't stress
Original post by YaliaV
Everyone makes mistakes and nobody was hurt. Don't beat yourself up over nothing. I know what anxiety is like though

Thanks, I'm just worried about having points and a fine because my mum and dad will be so angry at me - the letter goes straight to them. I'm going on holiday tomorrow and all I'm going to be thinking about now is this :frown:
Original post by trul1fe
That ain't even a red-light camera fam.

They ain't front-facing that is for sure. Most of the cameras on the road, i.e speed cameras etc are rear facing and take the picture of the reg plate situated on the back of your car - yes back, not front.

Red light cameras in fact are literally the same as speed cameras and most work hand in hand - so if you jump the light @ over 40mph then you get 3 points for jumping the light and 3 points for speeding. The camera that you have attached isn't a camera at all by the looks of it - more like a sensor maybe.

Don't stress

Thanks, I know it's not a red light camera but I've heard that they are CCTV cameras and can still get you :frown:
Thanks for the info. Maybe, he did it at the other side of the roundabout so I'm not sure there would be any proof. I guess I've just got to cross my fingers now. I know those cameras aren't like a red light camera but I'm still not sure if they are CCTV or something and if the person watching could fine me?

If there was CCTV operating at the time, and you got caught up for it, then you could just as equally use the prior footage as evidence, as to you not being at fault in the circumstances. Hopefully you'll be alright though, as it's unlikely they would be intentionally looking out for jumping red lights through that camera/sensor/whatever it is :smile:

No, an actual traffic light camera looks like this:

There would also be lines on the road, as with speed cameras, and usually a sign saying something like 'there's a traffic light camera here'.

You're fine OP.
If there was CCTV operating at the time, and you got caught up for it, then you could just as equally use the prior footage as evidence, as to you not being at fault in the circumstances. Hopefully you'll be alright though, as it's unlikely they would be intentionally looking out for jumping red lights through that camera/sensor/whatever it is :smile:

Thank you so much, having as much info as possible about things helps me to feel better. I do have a dash cam so I suppose I could use that!
Thanks, I'm just worried about having points and a fine because my mum and dad will be so angry at me - the letter goes straight to them. I'm going on holiday tomorrow and all I'm going to be thinking about now is this :frown:

I think it's very unlikely that anything will happen. That probably isn't much consolation and I know what it's like to drive yourself crazy with "what ifs". Try to enjoy your holiday
Thank you so much, having as much info as possible about things helps me to feel better. I do have a dash cam so I suppose I could use that!

You're welcome :smile:
Original post by TimmonaPortella
No, an actual traffic light camera looks like this:

There would also be lines on the road, as with speed cameras, and usually a sign saying something like 'there's a traffic light camera here'.

You're fine OP.

I've seen those before, I was just wondering if they use CCTV as well. Thank you for the reassurance, I definitely will be more aware of my surroundings next time! :smile:

Don't be ridiculous, if they intended on monitoring it for people going through red lights, they'd install a red light camera.

You think someone sits there and manually identifies every car who goes through a red light? :rofl:

Quick Reply

Latest