The Student Room Group

parents angry about IGCSE results but they are good help

Hi so i took my IGCSES as I live in Egypt and received my results on the 10th. So I got: 5A*4A and 1C in maths. My parents were furious because they say that that C has completely blown away my chances to get into a top university in the uk, I do not know what to do I was over the moon about them and when they found out everything was ruined. So is it really true that I have screwed up my chances just because of a C? Oh and not to mention they were angry about the 4As, apparently I should have got A*. I firstly found it ridiculous but I don't know maybe they are right...since they found out we have no longer spoken. Any advice would be kindly appreciated! :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Original post by richardsmith
Hi so i took my IGCSES as I live in Egypt and received my results on the 10th. So I got: 5A*4A and 1C in maths. My parents were furious because they say that that C has completely blown away my chances to get into a top university in the uk, I do not know what to do I was over the moon about them and when they found out everything was ruined. So is it really true that I have screwed up my chances just because of a C? Oh and not to mention they were angry about the 4As, apparently I should have got A*. I firstly found it ridiculous but I don't know maybe they are right...since they found out we have no longer spoken. Any advice would be kindly appreciated! :frown:

Well done on your results - It's good to see you recognize that they are good.

Ignore them - They'll get tired of being mad soon. You haven't screwed up your chances, A-Levels are more important.
What do you mean by a top university. Most as for C's and a few for a B in maths.
Reply 3
Hi so i took my IGCSES as I live in Egypt and received my results on the 10th. So I got: 5A*4A and 1C in maths. My parents were furious because they say that that C has completely blown away my chances to get into a top university in the uk,

I got 2C's and I'm studying at Cambridge. So, no.
what was the C in?
Bearing a C in maths to my name, I recently graduated from a Russell Group university. Perhaps consider retaking if you want to study maths, physics or, perhaps, medicine, but otherwise put it behind you.
One "rogue" C won't hinder your chances whatsoever.
Reply 7
Original post by Zacken
I got 2C's.

Shameful. I've just lost all the respect I had for you.
Reply 8
Original post by Notnek

Everybody knows your life is ruined if you don't get an A* in French and French Literature. :wink:
Congratulations on a fine set of results. Sometimes when I read how parents go mad over 1 result I can see why mental health services are overwhelmed and buckling under the strain of young people who are referred with mental health issues over the stress put upon them by the education system and parents.

As long as you haven't set your heart on a Maths A level or a Maths degree (unless you resit of course) then you can get into any Uni. Most Uni's concentrate entirely on A level results. Are your parents thinking of Oxbridge only for your future as Oxbridge doesn't suit many students however bright they are, and you are very bright with those results.

Decide what you want to do at A level and go for it! The world is your oyster and you have your pick of A levels to choose from. If you really want a higher grade in Maths retake it in Year 12 and if you want to show your parents this post from a mum with 4 sons who have gone to Uni with lesser grades at GCSE than yours then please do so!
Reply 10
Original post by Notnek

TSR 'Support' Team

That wasn't very supportive! :frown: :giggle:
Reply 11
Original post by Zeux
TSR 'Support' Team

That wasn't very supportive! :frown: :giggle:

I'm supportive to anyone as long as they achieved at least an A in every subject at GCSE. Anyone else is not intelligent enough to post on TSR.
Reply 12
Original post by Notnek
I'm supportive to anyone as long as they achieved at least an A in every subject at GCSE. Anyone else is not intelligent enough to post on TSR.

Oh I see, at least an A? Well I guess you're going to be fired by August 2018 because of the new 9-1 grades, so pretty much no one will have all A/A* on their results slip. :giggle:
Reply 13
Original post by Notnek

I got 7 Bs and 2 Cs in my O-levels.

:hide:

These grades are amazing and there's nothing your parents should be concerned about unless you wanted to choose Maths or Physics for further education. Im pretty sure that you have a good chance of top universities accepting you as long as you will get great A-level grades.
(edited 6 years ago)
most russel groups would take you with a C in maths, unless the course specifically asks for a specific gcse maths grade but thats only gonna be the case if you're applying for something maths related like economics, psychology, medicine, dentistry ect. honestly your parents clearly had high expectations and are overreacting about this maths grade aha
Reply 16
Original post by Doonesbury

Get out.
Original post by Doonesbury

Your bare old. You should identify as a teenager, or better yet, an apache hellicopter! Th th th th th th th. pew pew pew, deeeeeeeer, deeeer. Booom-shacka-lacka. Th th th th th.
Reply 18
Original post by HabibSyed
Your bare old. You should identify as a teenager, or better yet, an apache hellicopter! Th th th th th th th. pew pew pew, deeeeeeeer, deeeer. Booom-shacka-lacka. Th th th th th.

Are you okay?
Original post by HabibSyed

what does this even mean

Quick Reply

Latest