The Student Room Group

Can you get caught speeding heading towards a speed camera van??

Basically I was doing about 79mph on a dual carriageway and there was a speed camera van that was parked sideways on the other side of the road facing towards me. Can I get a ticket as he's the other side and I'm heading towards him???
Reply 1
Original post by dtaylor7
Basically I was doing about 79mph on a dual carriageway and there was a speed camera van that was parked sideways on the other side of the road facing towards me. Can I get a ticket as he's the other side and I'm heading towards him???

Probably not.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely, but it's possible
Can I get a ticket as he's the other side and I'm heading towards him???

Many can check speeds in all directions, including the side, as they have multiple hatches from which the camera can be pointed.
Reply 4
I saw it pretty early so I slowed right down, just worrying he's caught me
Reply 5

"About 79" why not just say 80? :')

It all depends where the speed detection equipment was pointed - the fact of the matter is, yes, there is a possibility you have been caught. Either way, you'll know within 14 days.
Reply 6
@AngryJellyfish could you move this to Cars and Motoring please?

They're unlikely to bother with you doing 79 anyway. There's published guidance for police that says they'll generally allow 10% + 2 mph leeway before bothering to issue a fixed penalty notice. That works out to 79 mph. When you bear in mind that your speedometer probably overreads, you're unlikely to suffer any consequences even if you're on camera.
Reply 8
Original post by TimmonaPortella
They're unlikely to bother with you doing 79 anyway. There's published guidance for police that says they'll generally allow 10% + 2 mph leeway before bothering to issue a fixed penalty notice. That works out to 79 mph. When you bear in mind that your speedometer probably overreads, you're unlikely to suffer any consequences even if you're on camera.

You're referencing the ACPO guidelines, which a fair few forces do not abide by as they are, well, guidelines.

My force, Cleveland, is supposedly zero tolerance.
(edited 6 years ago)

If you were caught youll get a letter in about 2 weeks

Of course, all this can be avoided by not speeding so ease up on the right foot :tongue:
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by IWMTom
You're referencing the ACPO guidelines, which a fair few forces so not abide by as they are, well, guidelines.

My force, Cleveland, is supposedly zero tolerance.

Quite. Hence the bold:

Reply 11
Quite. Hence the bold:

It's becoming much more common place for the guidelines to be thrown out the window these days, without seeing the statistics it's impossible to say but I'd hazard a guess the majority of forces are prosecuting for lower than the intended threshold.
Original post by IWMTom
It's becoming much more common place for the guidelines to be thrown out the window these days, without seeing the statistics it's impossible to say but I'd hazard a guess the majority of forces are prosecuting for lower than the intended threshold.

If you're not basing that on statistics, what exactly are you basing it on?

If your local force has mandated a zero tolerance policy in all circumstances then that is a particular case. (And also a strong argument for elected police officials IMHO, even from a pure safety perspective. Part of the justification for the ACPO guidelines is that it's dangerous for people to be staring at their speedos all the time, which is obviously a real concern.) Otherwise I would be surprised if many police officers were particularly keen to make extra bother for themselves by going after drivers doing mid 70s where it's obviously safe, even if they've been told from above they can do so contrary to guidance. If it was dark, wet, foggy, and very busy it might make a bit more sense.

This is obviously just an anecdote but there's a stretch of motorway I frequently drive on where the average speed is typically about 80-85, being particularly quick during commuting hours. When there's a police car in the left lane everyone streams past them at 75 and no-one gets a ticket because they don't care. I'm not going to bore you with more of these but the sum of it is that my own experience leads me to believe that individual police officers really aren't that bothered if you're a bit over the limit as long as you're not being silly.

Again, maybe it's a different case if they're sat there with a speed gun as opposed to just generally going about their business. Overall though I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Unless OP happens to live in a zero tolerance area, when his speedo was showing 79 he was likely doing 76, and I would be greatly surprised if anything came of that.
Reply 13
If you're not basing that on statistics, what exactly are you basing it on?

If your local force has mandated a zero tolerance policy in all circumstances then that is a particular case. (And also a strong argument for elected police officials IMHO, even from a pure safety perspective. Part of the justification for the ACPO guidelines is that it's dangerous for people to be staring at their speedos all the time, which is obviously a real concern.) Otherwise I would be surprised if many police officers were particularly keen to make extra bother for themselves by going after drivers doing mid 70s where it's obviously safe, even if they've been told from above they can do so contrary to guidance. If it was dark, wet, foggy, and very busy it might make a bit more sense.

This is obviously just an anecdote but there's a stretch of motorway I frequently drive on where the average speed is typically about 80-85, being particularly quick during commuting hours. When there's a police car in the left lane everyone streams past them at 75 and no-one gets a ticket because they don't care. I'm not going to bore you with more of these but the sum of it is that my own experience leads me to believe that individual police officers really aren't that bothered if you're a bit over the limit as long as you're not being silly.

Again, maybe it's a different case if they're sat there with a speed gun as opposed to just generally going about their business. Overall though I wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Unless OP happens to live in a zero tolerance area, when his speedo was showing 79 he was likely doing 76, and I would be greatly surprised if anything came of that.

Motorways are one of the one places where the law tends to go unnoticed in regards to speed, and rightly so in my opinion; the speed limits on a motorway are ridiculous in most circumstances.

From my experience, patrol cars at the side of the road are rarely looking for people speeding not knowing there's a car, but actually positioned there due to intelligence in regards to a suspect vehicle heading that way.

I've spoken to a fair few traffic officers, and the general consensus is that if they're not too busy, they will pull someone up who's over the speed limit by a decent margin, and offer some words of advice. Any further action comes as a result of the drivers attitude, which I'm sure you can imagine in the North East tends to mean the officer issues a NIP :')

Being good mannered and polite to an officer pulling you up is more likely to get you off than offering an excuse, or lying. Most people don't seem to realise these guys are humans too! :P

Officers sat with speed detection equipment are usually there for a reason, notably a past record of incidents in that stretch of road. In these circumstances, there is significantly less leniency.

I'm not refuting anything you've said, because on the whole it's pretty accurate, I'm merely adding to the discussion. It's nice to see someone else so clued up :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending