The Student Room Group

Motorcycle or car?

I am 16 will turn 17 in less than a month and i'm wondering if I should return to sixth form in a motorbike or a car. I have been comparing the two and the benefits of a car would be:
I already have a car available (Parents car - will use 1), more room to store books/equipment and safer

However a motorbike is cheaper to insure and I find it fun. The only down side is I will need to buy a bike. And the bike is limited to 125cc for those that don't know and i'll be in year 13 if this changes anything.

I'd like some advice and any tips for me thank you.

CT: Bigger discussion on cheap motorbike insurance for young riders here
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Take the car.

Bikes are dangerous (I had one, got knocked off going down the motorway), only good in some weather, insurance is expensive not cheap (have you checked), more easily stolen, kit is expensive, can't carry anything, can't do any back seat activity with bf/gf, can't give anyone a lift. that's just off the top of my head.

Only plus side is the fun on the sunny days, and getting about quicker, though a 125 isn't going to be as much fun as a bigger bike. people might think you're delivering pizza or try and mug you for it.
Original post by TheYearNiner
I am 16 will turn 17 in less than a month and i'm wondering if I should return to sixth form in a motorbike or a car. I have been comparing the two and the benefits of a car would be:
I already have a car available (Parents car - will use 1), more room to store books/equipment and safer

However a motorbike is cheaper to insure and I find it fun. The only down side is I will need to buy a bike. And the bike is limited to 125cc for those that don't know and i'll be in year 13 if this changes anything.

Bikes are fun. They're more fun in the summer, when you can be a fair weather biker. But on a 125, that's not so relevant.

I'd go for the car if you have to choose between them. It's far, far more practical - you can take luggage AND passengers, you don't need special kit to drive it (and then change out of said special kit when you reach your destination). Get the bike as a toy.
Moved to Cars and Motoring. :smile:
Car.

bikes are very fun and the adrenaline rush is just... wooow!

but frankly they are impractical for us young people.
Reply 5
Original post by TheYearNiner

motorbikes are dangerous
Reply 6
Original post by Moura
motorbikes are dangerous

And 40 people reach year are injured by tea cosies.

Anything can be dangerous if you declare it so
Original post by Juno

If you have a car accident, chances are the car will take the impact or your airbag will deploy. I know a couple of people who have fairly bad injuries from bike accidents. I'm sure they are a rush, but I definitely wouldn't like to take the risk.

To be fair, a lot of people drive like maniacs on motorcycles

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by YaliaV
If you have a car accident, chances are the car will take the impact or your airbag will deploy. I know a couple of people who have fairly bad injuries from bike accidents. I'm sure they are a rush, but I definitely wouldn't like to take the risk.

To be fair, a lot of people drive like maniacs on motorcycles

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know people who drive like maniacs in cars. I know people who have serious injuries from car accidents.

As i've already said, people get serious injuries from tea cosies
Reply 9
Original post by Juno

and i'm sure whatever injuries these people get from tea cosies can be remedied by a plaster... bike accidents, not so much.
If you can afford. Car is great!
I consider it safer than motorbike.
Reply 11
Bit late but gotta stick up for the bikes!
I ride a motorbike to college and its soo much better than a car.. I'll list some pros that you may not have thought of
1. they aren't expensive - insurance is cheaper than a car and you can get a good motorbike for £1000 and sell it a year or two later for £900+. Cant say the same about a car. Also fuel consumption - its so economical you rarely fill up and when you do its less than £10.
2. Parking - so much easier, one less thing to worry about.
3. You get a lot of attention - everyone loves a biker lol and you make a lot of friends as all bikers are nice to other bikers.
4. Journeys are much quicker... in rush our build ups you can ride straight past/through and every traffic lights you can go to the front!
5. Its so much more fun and don't listen to the people saying its dangerous- long as you are alert you're not in too much danger, its always the cars fault lol.

Theres a lot more too.. only cons I have noticed is that you have to have money for helmet, jacket etc. and there is limited carrying space (a rucksack) unless you buy a top-box.

Pick motorbike!!!
Original post by Juno
And 40 people reach year are injured by tea cosies

BAN TEA COSIES!!!!!

In all seriousness though, go for a car
Although bikes are a lot more fun, they just aren't as practical for getting from a to b
Original post by Moura
motorbikes are dangerous

So are sharks but people still swim in the sea. I would generally get a motorbike with a topbox over a car. However if all you can get is a ******* 125 then you might as well get a car. A 125 loses most of the advantages of a bike due to it being too slow.
Reply 14
Original post by Laomedeia
So are sharks but people still swim in the sea. I would generally get a motorbike with a topbox over a car. However if all you can get is a ******* 125 then you might as well get a car. A 125 loses most of the advantages of a bike due to it being too slow.

have you ever ridden?
a 125 can go usually up to at least 70mph... thats enough as a 17 year old
Reply 15
Original post by dannyx
have you ever ridden?

The problem is more that it takes 3 weeks to do it. So you can't overtake easily, you can't accelerate away from traffic lights, you can't merge onto busy roads unless there's a huge gap etc. I have taken my 125 on motorways, but it's flipping scary to do it
Reply 16
Original post by Juno
The problem is more that it takes 3 weeks to do it. So you can't overtake easily, you can't accelerate away from traffic lights, you can't merge onto busy roads unless there's a huge gap etc. I have taken my 125 on motorways, but it's flipping scary to do it

You can accelerate away from traffic lights, you can merge onto roads... the only issue is motorways
if you have a decent 125 you can accelerate and leave any cars behind, if you don't need to go on a motorway theres no issue with 125 imo
Reply 17
Original post by dannyx
You can accelerate away from traffic lights, you can merge onto roads... the only issue is motorways
if you have a decent 125 you can accelerate and leave any cars behind, if you don't need to go on a motorway theres no issue with 125 imo

Well, yes, you can do those things - but the bike can't do them quickly or easily.
My friend was facing the same decision as you last year. (In the end he actually just started lodging nearer to his school lol) But my dad, who had a motorbike for a long time but gave up after a nasty accident gave some advice to him.
Bikes are v convenient for getting through traffic but if you aren't an experienced driver this can mean you drive recklessly and are more at risk. My dad argues that no one should be allowed to drive a bike until they've driven a car for 5 years as it takes a lot of experience to keep yourself safe and understand how other drivers act. You are so much more vulnerable on a bike - in a collision the bike will always lose. My dad was in several terrible accidents (he was once hit and left for dead in the middle of the motorway), but as an on-call surgeon it seemed like the best option. (If he was late, people could die.) When he switched to psychiatry he left the bike behind, and he's lucky to be alive.
Also he noted from his experience as a surgeon, that most young male organ donors were from motorcycle accidents which had led them to become brain-dead.
I don't want to be a negative nelly, but as a young driver I would really recommend a car, not only for your sake but for your family's sake.
(I used to really worry that my dad wouldn't be coming home after a call.)
Also ppl always appreciate having a friend that can give them a lift 👌👍 cars can defo be cool
Original post by dlaws.
have you ever ridden?

Try overtaking on one. I would recommend you say a prayer first tho.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending