The Student Room Group

Need a new laptop for college

I need a new laptop for college that is not too big but not too small at the same time so that it can fit into my rucksack and not get damaged or take up too much space. I would use to mostly for studying and college work, maybe also to store music and photos on it. At college I'm going to be doing level 3 Computing & Information Systems if this helps. My budget is strictly £350 and no more than that.

I hope that someone could offer me some advice. I've been thinking of getting a 2 in one laptop as it doubles up as a tablet and laptop which is quite good. As I said it will only be used for basic things such as college work and to store music & photos as well as web browsing.
Reply 1
I'd probably get a crappy Chromebook or something, means you wont be able to play game and stuff so you'll be more focused on your work :P
Original post by jt1212
I need a new laptop for college that is not too big but not too small at the same time so that it can fit into my rucksack and not get damaged or take up too much space. I would use to mostly for studying and college work, maybe also to store music and photos on it. At college I'm going to be doing level 3 Computing & Information Systems if this helps. My budget is strictly £350 and no more than that.

I hope that someone could offer me some advice. I've been thinking of getting a 2 in one laptop as it doubles up as a tablet and laptop which is quite good. As I said it will only be used for basic things such as college work and to store music & photos as well as web browsing.

Hello,

Coming in at £349, here's my best recommendation
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-transformer-mini-t102-10-1-2-in-1-white-orange-10154879-pdt.html

Hope that helps,
Nathan
Reply 3
Original post by the_nshoesmith

Thanks I think I have actually looked at something similar to this. Is this the same laptop as the one you recommend but just in silver instead of white & orange or a completely different model?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-transformer-mini-t102ha-10-1-2-in-1-silver-10148433-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR
Original post by jt1212
Thanks I think I have actually looked at something similar to this. Is this the same laptop as the one you recommend but just in silver instead of white & orange or a completely different model?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing/laptops/laptops/asus-transformer-mini-t102ha-10-1-2-in-1-silver-10148433-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR

Yes, they are the same model, just a different colour.
Reply 5
Yes, they are the same model, just a different colour.

Ok thanks I'll probably get this then. Have you ever owned a 2 in 1 laptop before?
Original post by jt1212
Ok thanks I'll probably get this then. Have you ever owned a 2 in 1 laptop before?

No, I haven't personally. Only things I'd be wary of are the storage, and make sure you have cloud storage in place for if something goes wrong.

Bear in mind that this £349 doesn't include Microsoft Office or any Anti-virus applications
Reply 7
No, I haven't personally. Only things I'd be wary of are the storage, and make sure you have cloud storage in place for if something goes wrong.

Bear in mind that this £349 doesn't include Microsoft Office or any Anti-virus applications

Yeah I have always used AVG and it has kept my laptops virus free. My mum can get me a office code from her work! Thanks for the warning though :smile:

All work will most likely be saved on my USB anyway so I can easily carry on with work at home as well as college to.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by jt1212
Yeah I have always used AVG and it has kept my laptops virus free. My mum can get me a office code from her work! Thanks for the warning though :smile:

All work will most likely be saved on my USB anyway so I can easily carry on with work at home as well as college to.

Glad you have that sorted. :smile: Just make sure you have backups, i've lost count of the amount of times my usb sticks have got lost, malfunctioned and even melted!
Reply 9
Glad you have that sorted. :smile: Just make sure you have backups, i've lost count of the amount of times my usb sticks have got lost, malfunctioned and even melted!

Yep I do regular backups, I use a program called "SyncToy" which backups up your USB with the click of a button to a location of your choice on your computer.

Also is 64GB enough? I'm wondering how much of it will be taken up by windows
Original post by jt1212
Yep I do regular backups, I use a program called "SyncToy" which backups up your USB with the click of a button to a location of your choice on your computer.

Also is 64GB enough? I'm wondering how much of it will be taken up by windows

I think Windows is roughly 10GB, but that will vary from device to device. These sort of devices are designed to be used in conjunction with cloud storage such as onedrive.

Personally, my laptop has 311gb used of 1TB.
In terms of backups, I have 2tb cloud storage covering all devices from teamknowhow
Reply 11
I think Windows is roughly 10GB, but that will vary from device to device. These sort of devices are designed to be used in conjunction with cloud storage such as onedrive.

Personally, my laptop has 311gb used of 1TB.
In terms of backups, I have 2tb cloud storage covering all devices from teamknowhow

Ok my current laptop is 1 TB also and I have checked and have used 76.6 GB out of 1000gb
Original post by jt1212
Ok my current laptop is 1 TB also and I have checked and have used 76.6 GB out of 1000gb

If you are using external storage, the amount of internal storage shouldn't matter that much. If you do need more storage, check out the deals with one drive. Google also do 15gb free storage
Reply 13
If you are using external storage, the amount of internal storage shouldn't matter that much. If you do need more storage, check out the deals with one drive. Google also do 15gb free storage

I've found this and I think I'll be getting this as it's a great deal for the price. You get 8GB ram, 1TB hardrive for £329. I'm not too familiar with AMD processors though.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-14-bw020na-amd-a6-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-with-dvdrw-blue-laptop/599-7314.prd?skuId=599-7314
Original post by jt1212
I've found this and I think I'll be getting this as it's a great deal for the price. You get 8GB ram, 1TB hardrive for £329. I'm not too familiar with AMD processors though.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/hp-14-14-bw020na-amd-a6-8gb-ram-1tb-hdd-with-dvdrw-blue-laptop/599-7314.prd?skuId=599-7314

I always go for intel, at least core i5. However, AMD A6 should do the job.
Reply 15
I always go for intel, at least core i5. However, AMD A6 should do the job.

Thanks but I'll think I'll go for this as I think it's a great deal for the price as well as my budget
Original post by jt1212
Thanks but I'll think I'll go for this as I think it's a great deal for the price as well as my budget

Fair enough, hope it works out for you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending