The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I would imagine that the people who are sitting the old qualifications won't need lowered grade boundaries to such an extent. They will have had access to old papers, mark schemes, model answers etc and teachers will be experienced in teaching it.
The article implies that the marks that students have achieved with new A levels are much lower so grade boundaries will lower too so that the same percentage of students still achieve top grades.
I wonder how Michael Gove feels about the lowering of grade boundaries? Given the point of the reforms was to combat grade inflation, it all seems a bit pointless now I suppose.

That being said, as long as the new A levels are running alongside the old ones there needs to be this kind of action taken otherwise there is complete disparity between new and old specs, which is not helpful for unis!
Does anyone know when the next ask an admissions tutor thread will be? Sorry I find it hard to stay up to date with studentrooms these days
Reply 4043
Original post by Student1256
Does anyone know when the next ask an admissions tutor thread will be? Sorry I find it hard to stay up to date with studentrooms these days

There's one running at the moment, hosted by Peterhouse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4044
Original post by blazing11
That was what I was wondering in my OP. Doonesbury ? Any comforting words of wisdom here ? 😊

That was what I was wondering in my OP. Doonesbury ? Any comforting words of wisdom here ? 😊

Sorry, forgive my multiple posts. Driving through France and finding internet dodgy 🙄

Posted from TSR Mobile

I doubt there will be a *huge* difference in grade allocations compared to last year for any A-levels. Reformed or modular.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Doonesbury
I doubt there will be a *huge* difference in grade allocations compared to last year for any A-levels. Reformed or modular.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many thanks, yes I'm sure if I had used my common sense I have reached that conclusion eventually ! 🙄 And the wait goes on 😑
Reply 4046
Many thanks, yes I'm sure if I had used my common sense I have reached that conclusion eventually ! 🙄 And the wait goes on 😑

I have been known to be wrong...

:wink: :tongue:
I'm a bit confused re. what time to arrive in Cambridge - I'm going early for the mature student induction and my room will be available at 2pm but I definitely want to be arriving earlier rather than later because apparently our first 'activity' will be at 6pm. I have to book transport as soon as possible but I don't know whether to book to arrive about 1 or whether I'll be seen as an irritation if I have to wait around in the college with my luggage.

Any experiences as to whether some students arrive before their rooms are available? I know it's a bit different to when everyone's arriving at once - I'm guessing 50 students maximum are doing this induction.
Reply 4048
Original post by zippidee
I'm a bit confused re. what time to arrive in Cambridge - I'm going early for the mature student induction and my room will be available at 2pm but I definitely want to be arriving earlier rather than later because apparently our first 'activity' will be at 6pm. I have to book transport as soon as possible but I don't know whether to book to arrive about 1 or whether I'll be seen as an irritation if I have to wait around in the college with my luggage.

Any experiences as to whether some students arrive before their rooms are available? I know it's a bit different to when everyone's arriving at once - I'm guessing 50 students maximum are doing this induction.

I've always arrived at about 9AM. 2PM sounds weirdly late.

Have you tried emailing the accommodation officer for your college to see if turning up early would be an issue?

This is going to be highly college specific. Just look up your union/JCR/MCR/whatever your college committee is called online and email the welfare officer/accomodation officer.

Edit: just re-read. (I originally assumed you'd be hanging about with your luggage for a lot longer) If you want to arrive at about 1 and your room is available at 2, then there shouldn't be an issue at all. Just show up at that time and you can either chill in the bar or check if the porters can give you your room slightly earlier.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by alow
I've always arrived at about 9AM. 2PM sounds weirdly late.

Have you tried emailing the accommodation officer for your college to see if turning up early would be an issue?

I haven't yet - I was hoping to just get a feel for what others do and what's regular.

Was your room available that early? I honestly can't remember what time my room was available when I went to Homerton, but I know when I arrived by train (so in the afternoon) I was given my room key straight away.

Original post by Zacken
This is going to be highly college specific. Just look up your union/JCR/MCR/whatever your college committee is called online and email the welfare officer/accomodation officer.

Edit: just re-read. (I originally assumed you'd be hanging about with your luggage for a lot longer) If you want to arrive at about 1 and your room is available at 2, then there shouldn't be an issue at all. Just show up at that time and you can either chill in the bar or check if the porters can give you your room slightly earlier.

Thanks for the reassurance - arriving at 1 involves setting off around 10, which is good for me as I'll miss rush hour but still have some time in case of traffic. I'd just like to be able to settle before whatever's happening at 6 happens (I think it's likely to be casual, but still).
Reply 4051
I haven't yet - I was hoping to just get a feel for what others do and what's regular.

Was your room available that early? I honestly can't remember what time my room was available when I went to Homerton, but I know when I arrived by train (so in the afternoon) I was given my room key straight away.

I've gotten to Homerton as early as 8.30 and my room was available. Drop the accommodation officer an email to make sure though.
There's one running at the moment, hosted by Peterhouse.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Isn't that for students that have been accepted and are planning to go to Cambridge right now? I am a gap year student looking to reapply
Isn't that for students that have been accepted and are planning to go to Cambridge right now?

No, it's for those with offers but by no means "accepted and planning to go".
Reply 4054
Isn't that for students that have been accepted and are planning to go to Cambridge right now? I am a gap year student looking to reapply

I'm 100% sure they won't mind. But I expect there will be "normal" AMA in a little while.
For the Natural Scientists and Computer Scientists out there, this year's pre-course Maths Workbook has just gone up. I've also got copies of the 2015 and 2016 ones if anyone wants them.
Anyone else unable to sleep?
I'm 100% sure they won't mind. But I expect there will be "normal" AMA in a little while.

There will be. From me, next week.
Reply 4058
Original post by Leighamc
Anyone else unable to sleep?

Welcome to the thread :smile:

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
There will be. From me, next week.

Excellent :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mature≠sensible
For the Natural Scientists and Computer Scientists out there, this year's pre-course Maths Workbook has just gone up. I've also got copies of the 2015 and 2016 ones if anyone wants them.

Thanks for that:wink: Do you by any chance know what IA course of maths is this for?

Latest

Trending

Trending