The Student Room Group

Mitigating circumstances for the second time.

Hi all,

I have just finished my foundation year and am about to go on to my first year. Problem is, I missed end of year exams due to mitigating circumstances and am due to take them again in a couple of weeks as a first attempt. Problem is I've been unwell and have a couple of hospital appointments next couple
of weeks for investigations. In the meantime, I haven't revised as much as I could and would like to resist them at a later date.

Can if I this later as a first attempt? And are appointment with the hospital a good enough reason not to sit them?

Thanks
Original post by Walt46
Hi all,

I have just finished my foundation year and am about to go on to my first year. Problem is, I missed end of year exams due to mitigating circumstances and am due to take them again in a couple of weeks as a first attempt. Problem is I've been unwell and have a couple of hospital appointments next couple
of weeks for investigations. In the meantime, I haven't revised as much as I could and would like to resist them at a later date.

Can if I this later as a first attempt? And are appointment with the hospital a good enough reason not to sit them?

Thanks

Not enough information and the answer would be possibly.

Go and speak to a student advisor and then your tutor.

You can submit an application, but it will depend on the circumstances as to whether they are persuaded. We dont have any of those details.

On your side they found it a good enough reason the first time round. They would look carefully at your evidence and decide if the cirumstances were unavoidable i.e your condition deteriorated and was out of your control.

They also listen to medical evidence.

If your GP or the hospital can say yes the person was still dealing with their medical condition and it has gotten worse then they might listen.

On the other hand if its been known about in advance, then they may be less sympathetic.

If the condition is serious i.e cancer or a brain tumour then I think they would be sympathetic. You probably needed to defer/ suspend studies rather than resit.

Talk to (in this order)
1. Student welfare
2. SU advisor.
3. Tutor

Then you can make up your mind how you wish to proceed.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
Not enough information and the answer would be possibly.

Go and speak to a student advisor and then your tutor.

You can submit an application, but it will depend on the circumstances as to whether they are persuaded. We dont have any of those details.

On your side they found it a good enough reason the first time round. They would look carefully at your evidence and decide if the cirumstances were unavoidable i.e your condition deteriorated and was out of your control.

They also listen to medical evidence.

If your GP or the hospital can say yes the person was still dealing with their medical condition and it has gotten worse then they might listen.

On the other hand if its been known about in advance, then they may be less sympathetic.

If the condition is serious i.e cancer or a brain tumour then I think they would be sympathetic. You probably needed to defer/ suspend studies rather than resit.

Talk to (in this order)
1. Student welfare
2. SU advisor.
3. Tutor

Then you can make up your mind how you wish to proceed.

Thanks Tigger
Original post by Walt46
Thanks Tigger

Just to add part of your reasoning will be you underestimated/ the doctors underestimated just how difficult your medical problem was and its become unrealistic.

When dealing with queries like this i almost feel its who blinks first and that the consequences of not sitting tend to be to retake the year and that is almost preferable than to do poorly and them letting you off with thirds. Your degree. Get to work quickly and then make a choice. Without the missing details then hard for me to make a judgement on it. If you decide you have no choice but to sit them, then you have to remove the idea you cant cope or you will fail and just get on with it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending