The Student Room Group

Why is there significantly more STEM students thann non-STEM students on TSR?

Poll

Which area do you wish to pursue?

This is just a question I wanted to see different views on, the statement isn't supported by any evidence or statistics, just a personal observation.

(This post is NOT for STEMs to roast non-STEMs btw, find another post to do that on)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not sure really. I think there's also a number of people on here who are a mix of STEM and non-STEM (such as myself).

If you go on the study help section I've noticed more people asking for help with STEM related work than non-STEM. Not sure why, maybe because STEM questions have set answers whereas non-STEM questions usually require your opinion/ideas (e.g. English Literature, History, RE) so other people can't help you with that as much? Therefore TSR attracts STEM students more?

Also, in my school/area where I live there's a larger percentage of STEM students, so the people on TSR generally reflect my observations of real life too.

Again, I don't know why there is a bigger percentage of STEM students irl. Perhaps because STEM subjects are encouraged a lot more because 'they'll get you a better job'?

I know where I am (a disadvantaged area) teachers always drill into us that we should be either a doctor or an engineer in order to be successful and move away from here, so loads of kids choose to pursue STEM careers even if that's not what they originally wanted.

So I put it down to social influences irl (such as parents and teachers etc), and that TSR reflects the general population. I could be wrong, though. Will be interesting to see other people's ideas.
Original post by Pepzi_Kola
I'm not sure really. I think there's also a number of people on here who are a mix of STEM and non-STEM (such as myself).

If you go on the study help section I've noticed more people asking for help with STEM related work than non-STEM. Not sure why, maybe because STEM questions have set answers whereas non-STEM questions usually require your opinion/ideas (e.g. English Literature, History, RE) so other people can't help you with that as much? Therefore TSR attracts STEM students more?

Also, in my school/area where I live there's a larger percentage of STEM students, so the people on TSR generally reflect my observations of real life too.

Again, I don't know why there is a bigger percentage of STEM students irl. Perhaps because STEM subjects are encouraged a lot more because 'they'll get you a better job'?

I know where I am (a disadvantaged area) teachers always drill into us that we should be either a doctor or an engineer in order to be successful and move away from here, so loads of kids choose to pursue STEM careers even if that's not what they originally wanted.

So I put it down to social influences irl (such as parents and teachers etc), and that TSR reflects the general population. I could be wrong, though. Will be interesting to see other people's ideas.

interesting theory, despite living in an area where we aren't pressured to pursue STEM I do feel as though there's a subconcious preference towards it. There'd always be lectures and trips at my school to science-related places where they encouraged and informed us on how to pursue STEM yet I don't recall once the case being for non-stem.

Perhaps it's considered more straightforward to pursue STEM?
Original post by CinnamonSmol
the statement isn't supported by any evidence or statistics

I take it you are not a STEM student.
Original post by Quantex
I take it you are not a STEM student.

Given the errors in the subject, I assumed that too.
interesting theory, despite living in an area where we aren't pressured to pursue STEM I do feel as though there's a subconcious preference towards it. There'd always be lectures and trips at my school to science-related places where they encouraged and informed us on how to pursue STEM yet I don't recall once the case being for non-stem.

Perhaps it's considered more straightforward to pursue STEM?

It's very much the opposite in my school, STEM is pushed aside and they make a big fuss over English. (More so since the head changed and her degree was English.)
It's possibly because we're a girl's school, but with all the women in stem action at the mo, you would've thought it'd be the opposite! They argue humanities are more flexible? Most people doing science are medics or just do one science cos it sounded like a good idea. (There's one physicist, I'm the chemist, an engineer and 5 medics, and a couple of biochem ppl, in a year of 70 odd, rest are doing social science or humanities degrees.)
As for TSR, I dunno? I wouldn't be surprised if there were more stem because it's easier to find solutions to problems than get essay help?
Reply 6
I don't have a deep answer for this.

I honestly think the main reason is because going on forums is a bit of a nerdy thing to do, hence most people will be doing STEM subjects.
Nerds tend to do science & maths :tongue:
Reply 8
A Level Electronics might be a less common subject but the number of people on TSR taking it are so few I can count them on my fingers. A Level Computer Science is a bit more popular but is still overshadowed in numbers by those taking the traditional sciences.
Original post by Arran90
A Level Electronics might be a less common subject but the number of people on TSR taking it are so few I can count them on my fingers. A Level Computer Science is a bit more popular but is still overshadowed in numbers by those taking the traditional sciences.

traditional sciences + maths/FM tend to be a recurring theme on TSR
Original post by StealingThunder

As for TSR, I dunno? I wouldn't be surprised if there were more stem because it's easier to find solutions to problems than get essay help?

That would make more sense seeing as you can't exactly get people to tell you what to physically write in an essay -well you could but there'd be no point seeing as come exams you'd be screwed
becoz STEM is lyfe :h:
Original post by the bear
becoz STEM is lyfe :h:

I can definitely tell someone doesn't take English.....
I can definitely tell someone doesn't take English.....

i strugol wiv Englsh it is wel trikki
Original post by the bear
i strugol wiv Englsh it is wel trikki

looking at your profile pic I assume that you're French. My apologies.
looking at your profile pic I assume that you're French. My apologies.

eet eez not a, how you say, problème chérie :pierre:
cuz STEM students are more introverted hence more likely to put themselves on a forum?
Maybe it's because of the amount of pressure some of us are put on to take STEM courses.

We get a lot of how we need engineers for the future, the lack of women in STEM jobs, the high demand for those jobs etc. Then we get told how much competition there is in Law, Investment Banking, Accounting etc.

But I'm sure that IRL more people take non-STEM subjects since there are more non-STEM than STEM. Just look at the number of teachers, construction workers , carers, caterers, waiters etc. there are. This website is a little biased, probably because of what @TehFen said.
This is just a question I wanted to see different views on, the statement isn't supported by any evidence or statistics, just a personal observation.

(This post is NOT for STEMs to roast non-STEMs btw, find another post to do that on)

For me, this is the million-dollar question. It's a very depressing trend. And I speak as a scientist here.
(edited 6 years ago)
Gonna try not to sound too opinionated here.

Generally, in the age of constant scientific advancement, STEM fields are being encouraged more than ever before:

There's a growing problem in the UK in that there is a deficit of Engineers, to combat this, schools have been trying to encourage students to doing the traditional science + maths route and push them towards STEM related fields:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/03/04/uk-firms-engineers-banks-struggle-fill-skills-shortage/

Qualified skilled people are now needed in this growing industry, so there's a lot.

Some people believe, that minorities, and females are 'underrepresented' in STEM fields, and thus new schemes have been implemented in order to persuade people of these backgrounds to pursue STEM fields.

And also:

STEM pays that sweet $$$

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending