The Student Room Group

Maths - Graph

How could you find the minimum point of a curve using y=mx+c.

Thank you and if you do not have anything nice or useful to say, don't even bother.
Original post by melissadh

Thank you and if you do not have anything nice or useful to say, don't even bother.

I don't know the answer to your question (the phrasing is weird) but I've moved it over to maths where you'll get more help.

I'm a bit rusty in maths right know but isn't y=mx+c an equation for straight lines and not curves ( unless you try to find a tangent at a certain point of a curve , first by using dy/dx) .

At gcse to find a minimum point of a curve what you do is complete the square :smile:

Is this gcse or a level?can you show us the question ?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
a straight line doesn't have a minimum
if you know that y = mx + c touches the graph at the minimum point, then you set y = (insert the equation) equal to y = mx + c. in this case (either min or max) the gradient of the line must be 0, so m = 0. your equation should look something like this:

mx + c = (equation)

m = 0 so m*x will also = 0

therefore
(equation) = c

Now solve the equation to find x, then substitue that value into the (equation) or you can use y = mx + c (sub in x youll get a y coordinate = to 0)

Hope this helps if you have any questions just ask and ill try and explain a little more in depth

Is this a general question you're asking out of curiousity or is this an actual question? As everyone said, a straight line has no minimum or maximum points because the gradient is constant at all points.

If this is an actual question, can you please post the full question because you may have misread it.
Reply 6
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
I don't know the answer to your question (the phrasing is weird) but I've moved it over to maths where you'll get more help.

Thank you so much <3
Reply 7
Original post by ParisOMg
I'm a bit rusty in maths right know but isn't y=mx+c an equation for straight lines and not curves ( unless you try to find a tangent at a certain point of a curve , first by using dy/dx) .

At gcse to find a minimum point of a curve what you do is complete the square :smile:

Is this gcse or a level?can you show us the question ?

It was from an AS question but I totally forgot where to start from, and using my GCSE knowledge, you are completely right! Alas! I remember, it was from completing the square and look into certain components which tell us x and y. Thank you :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by ManLike007
Is this a general question you're asking out of curiousity or is this an actual question? As everyone said, a straight line has no minimum or maximum points because the gradient is constant at all points.

If this is an actual question, can you please post the full question because you may have misread it.

I forgot how to find the minimum point, and then remembered from one of the answers that it is done through completing the square and not y=mc+c so thank you! You are right! I just asked out of curiosity.
It was from an AS question but I totally forgot where to start from, and using my GCSE knowledge, you are completely right! Alas! I remember, it was from completing the square and look into certain components which tell us x and y. Thank you :smile:

It's okay. Btw . It's fantastic how you are currently doing past papers .

Quick Reply

Latest