The Student Room Group

What Universities in the US accept IB course/certificate? And why?

Hi my name's Azzam, 16, and I'm having a difficult time understanding my career counsellor. For the most part, I don't agree with her at all.

She says some universities such as those in Japan and France rely on national testing (which for me can be taken without attending a public school) and do not see a difference on IB DP or certificate, so it would be wise not to be too busy with the IB. YET I have frequently told her that I don't want to go there, I want to 'return' to the US for my uni.

So I ask, what universities do accept IB certificate in the US - knowing that they'll check whether I took the most rigorous course available at my school (being IB DP)?

I'm going into the field of Macroeconomics (hopefully with some miracle).
(edited 6 years ago)
They wont accept IB Certificates. If you really want to study in the US, take the SAT.
Original post by _Azzam_
Hi my name's Azzam, 16, and I'm having a difficult time understanding my career counsellor. For the most part, I don't agree with her at all.

She says some universities such as those in Japan and France rely on national testing (which for me can be taken without attending a public school) and do not see a difference on IB DP or certificate, so it would be wise not to be too busy with the IB. YET I have frequently told her that I don't want to go there, I want to 'return' to the US for my uni.

So I ask, what universities do accept IB certificate in the US - knowing that they'll check whether I took the most rigorous course available at my school (being IB DP)?

I'm going into the field of Macroeconomics (hopefully with some miracle).

Original post by waleed99
They wont accept IB Certificates. If you really want to study in the US, take the SAT.

waleed99, with all due respect, you are incorrect. While taking the SAT I plus a couple of subject tests (SAT IIs) depending on the university/ the ACT is necessary for admission into U.S. universities, they do look at your school grades and other factors as well. (It's an holistic admissions process) They definitely look at the IB courses you are currently taking and what you have scored in those courses/predicted to score in those courses.

Azzam, if you are a potential full IB Diploma candidate, U.S. universities will look upon you fondly as they recognise that the IB Diploma programme is one of the most rigorous programmes in the world (having been through it myself I know :tongue:) having a good predicted score in your IB Diploma may be a factor in determining whether or not you get into an university. I have a friend who was predicted a 42 overall, while her GPA and SAT scores were slightly below Boston College's requirements, she still got in. Admissions officers said her stellar IB predicted score and essay balanced out her other academics.

Don't slack in the IB exams in the end as well even if you have U.S. college offers (mostly unconditional). If you do well in your HL subjects (and in some schools your SL subjects too) you may be able to transfer some credit so you may be able to move on in courses that you are less interested in, graduate early, move on to higher level courses etc...

Hope this helps and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wolfmoon88
waleed99, with all due respect, you are incorrect. While taking the SAT I plus a couple of subject tests (SAT IIs) depending on the university/ the ACT is necessary for admission into U.S. universities, they do look at your school grades and other factors as well. (It's an holistic admissions process) They definitely look at the IB courses you are currently taking and what you have scored in those courses/predicted to score in those courses.

Azzam, if you are a potential full IB Diploma candidate, U.S. universities will look upon you fondly as they recognise that the IB Diploma programme is one of the most rigorous programmes in the world (having been through it myself I know :tongue:) having a good predicted score in your IB Diploma may be a factor in determining whether or not you get into an university. I have a friend who was predicted a 42 overall, while her GPA and SAT scores were slightly below Boston College's requirements, she still got in. Admissions officers said her stellar IB predicted score and essay balanced out her other academics.

Don't slack in the IB exams in the end as well even if you have U.S. college offers (mostly unconditional). If you do well in your HL subjects (and in some schools your SL subjects too) you may be able to transfer some credit so you may be able to move on in courses that you are less interested in, graduate early, move on to higher level courses etc...

Hope this helps and good luck

Posted from TSR Mobile

IB certificates are different from the IB Diploma (IB certtificates could be without category restrictions, with less or no HL subjects, equal or less than six IB subjects, and/or without EE or TOK).

You may be able to get in some UK universities with IB certificates if you apply to a foundation degree or a degree with a foundation year. I think for regular Bachelor's degrees UK universities would prefer the IB Diploma, but I was told that IB HL courses are equivalent to A levels and three A levels are sufficient for entry into a UK university, so if you are doing at least three IB higher level subjects perhaps email the university you are interested in, though I personally wouldn't expect to get into very competitive UK universities.

Some universities in the US may consider IB certificates, but make sure to check their admission requirements and perhaps email the university to make sure.

These links may be helpful:
http://www.ibo.org/globalassets/publications/university-policy-index-en.xlsx
https://www.ibo.org/university-admission/ib-recognition-resources-and-document-library/
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Yeshua saves
IB certificates are different from the IB Diploma (IB certtificates could be without category restrictions, with less or no HL subjects, equal or less than six IB subjects, and/or without EE or TOK).

You may be able to get in some UK universities with IB certificates if you apply to a foundation degree or a degree with a foundation year. I think for regular Bachelor's degrees UK universities would prefer the IB Diploma, but I was told that IB HL courses are equivalent to A levels and three A levels are sufficient for entry into a UK university, so if you are doing at least three IB higher level subjects perhaps email the university you are interested in, though I personally wouldn't expect to get into very competitive UK universities.

Some universities in the US may consider IB certificates (probably not the universities that are very competitive), but make sure to check their admission requirements and perhaps email the university to make sure.

Question is not directed to me but OP so I am not the correct person to quote haha.

In practice, HL courses are not exactly equivalent to A level courses. Some A level subjects have more material than IB HL subjects like Chemistry. US universities do accept IB certificates sometimes to waive credits or to advance one to a next level of courses (like they do with AP courses in some cases), but usually not in isolation for admissions.
Question is not directed to me but OP so I am not the correct person to quote haha.

In practice, HL courses are not exactly equivalent to A level courses. Some A level subjects have more material than IB HL subjects like Chemistry. US universities do accept IB certificates sometimes to waive credits or to advance one to a next level of courses (like they do with AP courses in some cases), but usually not in isolation for admissions.

Thanks.

I'm doing all Standard Level IB certificates with less than six subjects and Theory of Knowledge and somehow I got conditionally accepted to a university in the US (I hope it's not because the university thought I was doing the IB Diploma), although I agree doing only IB certificates instead of the IB Diploma could limit your university choices.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Yeshua saves
Thanks.

I'm doing all Standard Level IB certificates with less than six subjects and somehow I got accepted to a university in the US.

Are you doing another type of certificate in conjunction with IB SL subjects? just interested haha
Are you doing another type of certificate in conjunction with IB SL subjects? just interested haha

Not exactly, but many US universities require the SAT which I also took (the university I got conditionally accepted to super scores the SAT).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending